IGNORED

RAM mount for Garmin Streetpilot 2610

Foxy

Interested to hear of any experience in using a RAM mount -- either the u-bolt clamp style or the brake mount style -- for a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 on a R1100RT. I have the GPS and am looking at mounts for it.

Foxy

Vicious_Cycler

Check this recent discussion: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1000862/an/0/page/3#Post1000862 . I just mounted an Edgegps.com refurbed 2610 on my RT using a Migsel mount with a 1" RAM ball (if a clean factory look is important, Migsel gets my vote!), a 3" RAM arm, and the RAM compact base.

This setup put the GPS in an immobile location rather than moving with the bars (which was my preference). It is located center of the tach and speedo in a direct line of sight. The Migsel also has room for 2 more RAM balls for satrad, iPod, cell phone, V1, etc.

Now the truth is, I just installed all this. So I have yet to run my power line or to road test this setup. But, this configuration is exactly what I had in mind when I decided to add a GPS.

Good luck!

I bought the very simple replacement handlebar bolt with tab and ram ball for my 1150rt which replaces one of the handlebar hold down bolts. I then also got a 6" ram clamp and a diamond ball mount to attach to the back of the Garmin 2610 motorcyle holder/power cord with sound output plug. It all moves with the handle bars which as mentioned is not ideal. But it is simple and easy to install and adjust. Handlebars don't move much once at speed and I can place the unit in a location which does not interfere with the lock to lock of the bars. Just one of many options. There are many internet sites offering various mounting options for sale! Good luck with our search and choice! AndyT

PS I had this same system for my Garmin Quest all last year and it worked out fine!

ArthurKnowles

I just bought the RAM ball mount form Jakfrost (member of this board) to install the Garmin motorcycle kit with a 3" standard arm. This unit fits in place of the black plastic BMW cover above the steering bolt on your handlebar clamp.

It looks a lot better than many other solutions and has the benefit of putting it right smack dab in the middle if that's where you want it. I do. smile.gif

I used their 2 1/2" circular base plate, the shortest arm they had, and their 2610 mount. I then mounted the whole setup onto my RCU shelf and it worked out perfect. It is just below eye level, above the instruments, and out of the way of the windshield.

I had thought about some sort of a handlebar mount, but I didn't want to have it on the right handle bar, I already have my J&M intercom on the left handlebar, and I use a TALL tankbag so in between the bars wouldn't work either. I also was concerned with it making contact with the windshield.

Archived