IGNORED

Widescale Global Cooling

flyingreg

Dupont's patent on R11 and R22 refrigerant was expiring. Then, amazingly, it needed to be banned and Dupont controlled the patents to the only acceptable replacement on the market.

Cooincidence? smirk.gif

Thats a very strong accusation.

Agreed that Dupont as well as others capitalized on the situation but I'l need inconclusive PROOF that they fabricated it.

Somewhere there's some little fraction of rational, open-minded people who aren't sure if we're all screwed, we're all fine, or if we're somewhere in between, but do know we need to figure it out. Nobody listens to them.

The posts (posters?) following yours just proved your point..... cool.gif

In one sense, humankind is like a parasitic agent or pathogen to the planet. And its immune system will eventually eliminate the infection. When people say things like, "Think globally," this is what I think. Globe: 1, Humans: Nil.

But we differ from standard pathogens in one glaring regard: No infectious agents I'm aware of possess the inflated sense of self or level of arrogance we do. Most viruses, for instance, have no intention of destroying their hosts. Exploit their resources and learn everything about them, yes, but kill them, no. And even the few viruses that do manage to kill don't manage to kill very many. It's not in their interest to do so. (Besides, we somehow manage to make new humans to replace the dead ones.)

Are we going to figure out how the planet works? Probably not. Can we even figure out how we work and how to effectively control the actions and growth of our species? I don't think that's a realistic possibility either. I think the planet will figure us out first and either purge us from her system or force us to mutate into a less virulent strain.

In the meantime, this virus particle is going to think locally and act locally.

steve.foote
Thats a very strong accusation.

Agreed that Dupont as well as others capitalized on the situation but I'l need inconclusive PROOF that they fabricated it.

Eric, I'm not saying they fabricated it, but they definately fanned the flames. Can you blame them?

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the prediliction of humans to anthromorphize the earth into some kind of sentient creature able to "figure" out mankind. We do that with our animals and in many cases with our machines, including our motorcycles. The earth is the earth. If mankind screws up, mankind will suffer the consequences and likely nothing much will happen to the earth that can't be fixed over the next thousands or hundreds of thousands of years, assuming mankind has been reduced to a less lethal entity.

Bruce

Well done, Sean. That reminds me of an old George Carlin bit (who said something like): "And now we're so full of ourselves that we don't just talk about saving the f___ing environment anymore. No, we're teaching our children that we must 'Save the f-__ing planet' … You know what I think? I think the planet just put us here because it wanted plastic!"

Although we can certainly dismiss that as a silly notion choose and chose not to view the world as some sentient creature (I don't), it still seems nothing short of hubris to think that we humans – after so short a period of research – have a full understanding of something as complex as the balances of forces, elements, and conditions that makes up our planetary atmosphere and climate.

We’ve spent many, many times more money and have conducted far more research on cancer and potential treatments/cures, and we’ve got a very long way to go. And in the case of medical cancer research there is at least the ability to test theories based on empirical testing of not only the subject, but the control group is well known.

Not so for the climate. These are indeed relatively new sciences based on very new theories. I’m not saying we humans shouldn’t endeavor to figure out the cause and effect of all such planetary issues. But thinking we’ve already done so would not be unlike thinking that Thomas Hodgkin (1798-1866) cured Hodgkin's disease.

Anybody remember the hole in the ozone layer? All the big buzz about florocarbins (sp)? All the money on research? All the "sky is falling" news reports? Having to change aeorsol cans? Then it suddenly healed itself and no body knows why and nevermind.

It didn't heal itself. Largest ever in Sept 2006 . Sort of gives pause to all the projected causes and cures, eh.

Anybody remember the hole in the ozone layer? All the big buzz about florocarbins (sp)? All the money on research? All the "sky is falling" news reports? Having to change aeorsol cans? Then it suddenly healed itself and no body knows why and nevermind.

It didn't heal itself. Largest ever in Sept 2006 . Sort of gives pause to all the projected causes and cures, eh.

So why aren't we hearing any more about it? It was the big "sky is falling" issue not too long ago. My guess is that there's not as much money in it as there was. Maybe old news is not news and the media has simply moved on to stirring other pots.

Archived