IGNORED

will the R1200rs mirrors fit the RT?

majordad

I don't think the mirrors are designed to fit. I had my R12RT fitted with additional mirrors at the dealership because I do a lot of touring with bags on the back. The mirrors were a huge improvement. My guess is also that if they do fit, they will be quite expensive.

I checked the microfiche at a local dealer and each mirror is about $56. Of course the bolts, and what appears to be a sleave of some type, are extra. I like the look. I am also finding the stock RT mirrors aren't well positioned. They work but it could have been better.

John Bentall

I believe most folks here are using the mirrors from either the R1150GS (round) or the K1200RS (rectangular). We will be interested to know how you get along.

markgoodrich
I believe most folks here are using the mirrors from either the R1150GS (round) or the K1200RS (rectangular). We will be interested to know how you get along.

Correct; I went with the K1200RS mirrors and am completely satisfied; I can now see around my lovely, svelte wife. There's a thread somewhere on cheap mirrors, which I tried and totally screwed up, but then there's a reason my sig includes the term "torque dork."

• 5 weeks later...
markgoodrich
What did you pay for the RS mirrors Mark?

I don't remember. Bought them from the local dealer, whose price was similar to the online guys. Just returned from a 2800 mile week, and am still very satisfied with the mirrors. They do vibrate a little at highway speeds, but I can still tell what model vehicle is behind me.

can you post pics of the bike? I have a taller windshield and wondered if those mirror will hit it during turning. this is the major reason I've not pursued the mirrors.

i bought a pair od 1200gs mirrors to add to our 1150rt

they worked just fine

my wife couldnt seem to use the lower mirrors

It's an unusual design error on the part of BMW to provide the 1200RT with mirrors that most folks can't easily use to see what is behind. I suppose that's what comes from having more "aggressive" styling.

It's an unusual design error on the part of BMW
Considering the RT has been like that since 1996, it's probably not a design error, but admittedly supplemental mirrors can help.

Considering the RT has been like that since 1996, it's probably not a design error, but admittedly supplemental mirrors can help.

We are at cross-purposes, I was referring to the R1200RT mirrors which commonly reflect your glove, forearm and shoulder rather than the road behind. It was the first thing I noticed when I took a test ride. I know of owners who have fitted supplementary mirrors in order to overcome the problem.

In my experience this was never an issue on R1100/1150RT models, maybe their mirrors are located on wider bodywork which results in a better rearwards view.

Whichever you choose, you will have the benefit of added visibility. I went with the GS (round) mirrors and at right after I installed the, I did not think that I was going to leave them on. Then I went for a ride. To me, it was a world of difference. I position the stock mirrors out wider and they give me a view of each lane. I use the GS mirrors for rear view. I also like the higher position of these mirrors. I use both constantly.

Good luck with your search.

Whichever you choose, you will have the benefit of added visibility. I went with the GS (round) mirrors and at right after I installed the, I did not think that I was going to leave them on. Then I went for a ride. To me, it was a world of difference. I position the stock mirrors out wider and they give me a view of each lane. I use the GS mirrors for rear view. I also like the higher position of these mirrors. I use both constantly.

Good luck with your search.

I am leaning on the 1150 RS type because they are a little more attractive. If they do not work I'll go with the round ones. thanks.

Mark

I read on another thread that the 2000-2004 K1200RS mirrors block the line of sight to the standard mirrors on the R1200RT. Your comments would be appreciated.

Also did the mirrors fit easily (with the standard nut and washer) into the handlebar holes on the R1200RT or did you have to modify them or use anther type of nut?

Finally could you please confirm that the K1200RS mirrors do not hit the fully down screen on the R1200RT on full lock left or right.

I am keen to go with the K1200RS rectangular mirrors but I want to avoid installation hassles or the mirrors hitting the screen.

Many thanks

Phillip

markgoodrich
Mark

I read on another thread that the 2000-2004 K1200RS mirrors block the line of sight to the standard mirrors on the R1200RT. Your comments would be appreciated.

Also did the mirrors fit easily (with the standard nut and washer) into the handlebar holes on the R1200RT or did you have to modify them or use anther type of nut?

Finally could you please confirm that the K1200RS mirrors do not hit the fully down screen on the R1200RT on full lock left or right.

I am keen to go with the K1200RS rectangular mirrors but I want to avoid installation hassles or the mirrors hitting the screen.

Many thanks

Phillip

I can use both sets of mirrors without difficulty; the reason I added the aux. mirrors was to be able to see better when riding with a pillion.

Installation was a two-minute ordeal, no problems at all.

Someone else asked recently about the possibility of hitting the windshield. Here are the photos I took for them, the closer shot is at full left lock, shield all the way down; doesn't hit the shield.

Click for larger image:

th_IMG_1434.jpg

th_IMG_1433-1.jpg

Archived