IGNORED

Loose panniers

RTs4me

'06 R1200RT

Both panniers are a bit loose and can be lifted upwards about an inch. Not enough movement for me to be worried that they might come off, but they do rattle a bit. When I fit them to the bike and press the handle down, it seems as if the upward-moving locator is too short and/or not moving up enough confused.gif

I seem to remember that there is a 'fix' for this, but I can't find the thread. Anybody know how to cure this? confused.gif

I'd be interested too. My 06 has the same symptom (right side mostly), although it may not be an inch. I've wondered if there was a way to tighten them too.

My bags were loose on my O5 and the dealer replaced the inner bag and, I think, the bag mounts under warranty. Apparently these items were redesigned at some point. If you have the old style ones you may be able to get them replaced under warranty.

RTS -

I am first going on the assumption that an 06 pannier is the same as an 08, if so does your lock mechanism (the one that comes out of the pannier) does it have a horizontal tab on the top?

This tab dovetails into a recessed pad area on the down tube tressel.

My left one appeared to be missing - this was replaced under warranty.

After replacement the bag mounts firmly.

Something to check out.

Luis

AFAIK, nothing is missing from the latching bar - they've always been loose from day one (I bought the bike new). But a small extension to the top of the bar might cure the problem. I'll look at the panniers on a new bike in the showroom to see what's different to mine. Thanks for the replies thumbsup.gif

A bad habit I have since the old Krauser days is to uses one of the black shipping straps BMW uses and wrap it around the saddle bag to insure it does not open or go away when I'm not watching it. I've seen more that one bag laying by the side of the road..... tongue.gif

WilloughbyBMW

I have the same problem on the near side pannier rear top mount. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he is going to replace the complete pannier under warranty. I cant understand why it cant be adjusted or repaired.

I have the same problem on the near side pannier rear top mount. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he is going to replace the complete pannier under warranty. I cant understand why it cant be adjusted or repaired.

The pannier mounting system was modified by BMW some time after the 05 came out. I complained about loose panniers and mine too were replaced under warranty (lids and locks kept). The new mounting system is adjustable for wear, the old ones were not.

Ian thumbsup.gif

The dealers over your side of the island are a little more accommodating. When I complained about mine being loose they just said; "Yes, some are like that and some are not."

I experimented with some packing at the top of the locking bar and it appears that there is only about 1-2mm of clearance. But this gives about 5-10mm at the pannier.

Hi John,

I experimented with some packing at the top of the locking bar and it appears that there is only about 1-2mm of clearance. But this gives about 5-10mm at the pannier.

I bought my 2005 RT second hand last Nov. I noticed the RH pannier was very loose. Since it was about 6mths out of warrantee, I couldn't get it fixed so I packed the inside of the top mounting hole with a few layers of duct tape and it's much firmer now.

The dealers over your side of the island are a little more accommodating. When I complained about mine being loose they just said; "Yes, some are like that and some are not."

If your bike is under warranty they should replace the panniers, as I said they were modified after the 05 came out, tell your dealer that Worthington BMW at Gosford are doing it. Good luck.

Ian

Yes. I went down that path but they were still not interested in coming to the party. Fortunately, they were more accomodating in fixing the oil leak!!

Unfortunately, there is only one BMW dealer here so choice is obviously limited if service is lacking.

Now I am not so worried about the panniers as I found a fix by gluing small pieces of inner tube to the "socket" where the catches meet. I try not to sweat the small stuff so no worries.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the service bulletin number and/or where to find the service bulletin for repairing loose panniers on the 05 1200RT? My dealer is having difficulty locating it (and dragging his feet on potential warranty work). Thanks

markmandrell

My dealer replaced mine 3 weeks ago under warranty - I do not think it was based on a bulletin.

Mark

Fixed mine with a felt sticky back chair glide. sticks to the plastic lock bar and trim with razzor blade to fit tight. Fast and cheap, one pad did both bags.

• 4 months later...
Dave_zoom_zoom

The pannier mounting system was modified by BMW some time after the 05 came out. I complained about loose panniers and mine too were replaced under warranty (lids and locks kept). The new mounting system is adjustable for wear, the old ones were not.

Ian thumbsup.gif

alt="" />

I have a 06 R1200RT. My panniers were very loose & rattled when going over a bump. My dealer stuck some foam tape in the fitting recesses. Now they are tight but extreamly hard to latch & unlatch. I'm told that will probably get better with time.

I'm concerned that this very hard latching & unlatching is placing undue wear on the locking mechanism plus, sooner or later the tape will just fall off.

Has anyone else had good luck with bag replacement?

Other solutions?

Dave

GrahamB and Mr Zoom. I like your solutions to tighten up your saddle bags. Easy and do it yourself. As stated the "plastic tongue" as I call it is not extending far enough out of the inner half of the saddle bag to fully engage the plastic recessed area on the frame where the "tongue seats". Duct tape or sticky chair glide will certainly firm it up and save the hassle of a dealer visit if one is not close by.

I had the opposite problem with one sidecase. The handle would lock but the sidecase did not unless it was depressed further. It was also very difficult to remove, felt like you had to rip off the handle to get it to release.

The inner shell case was replaced because of the latching concern. It's better but still more difficult to put on and take off than the other case which works perfectly.

Archived