IGNORED

Wind buffeting of passenger?

LAP1

I have money down on an '03 R1150RT at a dealer two hours from home. I will pay the balance and pick it up when winter finally breaks its grip on this area.

I am upgrading from an '86 R80RT (which I am keeping!) to provide a more comfortable bike for my wife, who loves riding as a passenger, for medium distance touring. I have heard a rumor that the 03 RT's send the airflow from the windscreen on top of the passenger's head and shoulders. I don't see anything in the posts on this Forum that support that, but I would still like to know the answer to this concern.

The buffeting from the airflow over the R80RT bothered her until we had the Corbin seat rebuilt by a local master upholsterer who cut it down some. She has been much more comfortable since.

Since the idea of buying the 03 RT is provide a long legged tourer for BOTH of us, I don't really want to shell out the bucks for a new bike if the ride is going to be worse for my passenger. If there is a problem, but there is a fix for it, that would also be acceptable.

Thanks. I had read through all of the posts on passenger comfort before I made my inquiry. But I still didn't see much on passenger buffeting. It seems like that if I stay away from other than the standard windscreen the buffeting on the 1150RT shouldn't be any worse for the passenger than any other sport tourer. Good assumption?

Silver Rider

Hello LAP1,

I have a 20031150 RT and my wife (5'-2") complained to me about getting buffeted while on back.

I bought a Cee Baily windscreen that is about 3 1/2" taller than stock. It seems to have solved the problem. At highway cruise speed 75 mph plus), I have the windscreen extended all the way up and I am actually looking througn it.

Cee Bailey quality and service was excellent. New windshield fit perfectly.

GOod luck!

Archived