IGNORED

Speaking of Torrey...Need Advice Re Denver Area

marcopolo

I'm now planning my route etc. to Torrey. At the end of Day 3 I'll be in Hays, Kansas. I'll then take two more days to get to Torrey (780 miles from Hays). In the interests of time I'll be slabbing it (it's a five-day ride for me, one-way).

On Day 4 (Tuesday, 13 May) I'll be leaving Hays and heading west on I-70. I'd like to know the best way to cross Denver. Should I just stay on I-70, or loop underneath on the 470?

Also, can anyone suggest a place to spend the night (decent motel/places to eat within walking distance) on the other side (west) of Denver?

Avoid Denver during rush hour if at all possible. If you can do that, then stay on I70. E470 has a bunch of expensive tolls to pay and takes you quite a bit out of the way.

Idaho Springs is a nice smaller town with a lot of places to stay and eat. There are also plenty of places off of I70 and in the town of Golden. I have never had to spend the night at any of them (since I live in Boulder) so I cannot give you any specific recommendations.

I'm now planning my route etc. to Torrey. At the end of Day 3 I'll be in Hays, Kansas. I'll then take two more days to get to Torrey (780 miles from Hays). In the interests of time I'll be slabbing it (it's a five-day ride for me, one-way).

On Day 4 (Tuesday, 13 May) I'll be leaving Hays and heading west on I-70. I'd like to know the best way to cross Denver. Should I just stay on I-70, or loop underneath on the 470?

Also, can anyone suggest a place to spend the night (decent motel/places to eat within walking distance) on the other side (west) of Denver?

Mark,

You're looking at a 9 hour ride arriving in Denver Metro area right at rush hour if you were to leave at 8a from Hays. At 5 p.m. there is NO easy direct route around Denver (the 470 bypass either is bumper to bumper traffic heading west or has expensive tolls on the north side). I would recommend you just stay on I-70 west bound. Most of the time (emphasis on MOST) the traffic stays moving along the I-70 corridor.

As for lodging accommodations, Google is your friend. There are economical ones at I-70 and Kipling, or a more expensive Marriott at Denver West Blvd, just a few miles further down the interstate. If you have specific questions, please PM me.

BTW, plan on 8+ hours for West Denver to Torrey (if you plan on using I-70)

Regards,

Mike O

Mark

Based on Mike O's info I would leave Hays at 5am and get through Denver before the rush. Rush hour is no fun in any large city. Especially when you cannot split lanes.

Thanks for all the tips. When I'm on the road I tend to leave pretty early, as in dawn.

If I can trust my Mapsource mapping software, Hays Kansas to the hotel I've picked just off the I-70 west of Denver near El Rancho/Evergreen is only 575 kms (360 miles), which is a pretty easy riding day for me. Averaging 80 kms/hr, that's about 7 hrs riding time. If all things go well, I should hit Denver well before the mad rush (famous last words).

Your Mapsource is likely correct (the 9 hours I suggested was from KC - not Hays which is a few hours west). You shouldn't have a problem just taking I-70 as I suggested.

Mike O

Archived