IGNORED

K1100LT to R1200RT

kltk165

Anyone make the jump from a K1100LT to the R1200RT? Searched turned up nothing and I was hoping to get some perspective on making the move. Thanks in advance.

I rode an '04 and '05 KLT through last year. I sold the '05 in spring of '07. When I got my K12GT I thought it might be the ideal tourer...did a FL-NM-FL trip last spring and while the GT a great bike and will knock your socks off in acceleration, decent handling, etc. I wanted something a bit more like the LT in comfort, weather control. I still have my GT and just picked up an '08 RT. To me, the RT might be the ultimate touring bike without the heaviness of the LT. The RT is nimble, quick, and the more upright position for touring should be just great. Storage on RT better as you well know the LT's panniers are deceptively small. I have not even hit the 600 mile service so all of this is speculation. I'm about to add the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit for rider, I've added a Cee Bailey screen, have a BakUp back rest on order, etc. What little mileage I have on it seems to indicate that it sips fuel (or I don't ride it hard, yet).

Good luck, PM me if you have any other questions. For comparison my dimensions are: 5' 8", 160 lbs, 67 years old.

Thanks but the K1200LT is a completely different animal than the K1100LT. The K1100 being much smaller and nimble than the K1200LT, more in line with the R1200RT.

Thanks but the K1200LT is a completely different animal than the K1100LT. The K1100 being much smaller and nimble than the K1200LT, more in line with the R1200RT.

Maybe I should learn to read. I know that but for some reason K12LT stuck in my head. In any event, what I said about the R12RT remains the same.

I still have my K1100LT and have owned my R1200RT for about 18 months. I've only ridden the Kbike a few times since buying the RT if that tell you anything! Power is very comparable but the engines have a different character. The RT vibrates but is not "buzzy" like the LT. The vibes on the LT at certain RPM can get on my nerves to be honest. This may be related to the fact that the LT most likely needs a valve adjustment another plus for the RT, as it’s MUCH easier to adjust valves on a hexhead. No comparison between the ride and handling of the two bikes, the RT wins this contest hands down. Much better ground clearance, better tire selection, and a lower center of gravity on the RT. Gas mileage is better with the RT and the RT manages the summer heat far better that the LT as well. If you like the LT you will love the RT.

That's pretty much in line with what my initial test ride impressions were too. Unfortunately, I didn't get to test ride a model with ESA and can only assume it adds to the experience. Not being a horsepower junky I felt the power was very much in line with the LT and that's ok with me for what the bike is. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Archived