IGNORED

Possible RT purchase

SLC_Rider

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and am looking at a possible purchase. I am a long time rider, but have never owned a BMW motorcycle. I have owned several BMW cars.

I am looking at a 2000 R1100RT with 34k miles on it. The bike looks immaculate and is in my price range.

Are these bikes reliable? How many miles can one expect? Are there any major issues with the engine or transmission, etc?

And most important, how does the bike handle riding 2-up? Is there sufficient power as the 1100 seems a bit small to me? Is the passenger comfortable on these bikes?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really like this bike and want to make and educated purchase. My other option is a K1200LTC with 55k on the clock, but I like the "R" motors better for some reason.

Thanks for your help.

--Jay

I bought an '00 R1100RT in June last year. It had 50k miles on it when I bought it. I've put about 11k on it since I got it. Its been a fun bike. But I've had two problems.

1) the brake lines blew out on me one day. Coming up on a red light in city traffic with minimal braking power is a good way to get your heart rate up, but I'm not sure it counts as aerobic activity. The bill to fix this was about $300. Plus the dealer mechanix were super busy and had the bike for almost 4 weeks.

2) The ABS unit appears to have failed. The ABS system warning lights started flashing a few months ago. But the brakes still work, so I haven't had it looked at yet. I take it to the shop for new tires and an oil change in a few weeks. I'll get the scoop on the ABS then.

Other than those two things its been a decent bike. It always starts right up, even if its been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks. It rides really well.

My wife won't ride with me so I can't tell you about 2 up. But I am a big dude (6' 5" 320lbs) and I can tell you that even with my fat ass on board the 1100RT will MOVE when I want it to. Its a five speed and I rarely have to put it in 5th gear. It'll sail along in 4th at 70MPH with no problems. I've done stretchs north of the speed limit and the bike handles great. Why I've even been told that it'll go in to triple digit speeds without breaking a sweat. Not that I would do ever go that fast smirk.gif

Over all I'm happy with the bike.

Thanks for the reply,

One other thing I have found in searching these threads is BMW's seem to have a problem with the final drive. Is this a low percentage of bikes that have this issue and is it common on the R1100RT?

I bought my '00 RT about 3 years ago with 60k miles on it. I now have about 90k miles on it. In those 30k miles, I also have had 2 somewhat "major" failures.

1. The large bearing in my final drive failed at 72k miles. Some people think this is an unacceptable failure, I just looked at it as wear and tear. It is basically the equivalent of a wheel bearing in a car, so I didn't think it was worth starting a stink over it.

2. The hall effect sensor wiring harness failed at 75k miles. It is basically the crank positioning sensor if you know anything about how ignition systems work. This is a pretty well documented failure on the R1100 bikes. It would be worth thinking about as preventative maintenance in the near future, but wouldn't be enough to scare me away.

I do think its funny that you think an 1100cc motor might not be big enough on a motorcycle.......considering there are cars out there with 1300-1800cc motors. It will go 100+ mph from sun up to sun down fully loaded with a passenger on the back. I can't say we ride 2-up often, but when we do I have never heard a complaint........and believe me, if Danielle wasn't comfortable I would hear about it grin.gif. I can't imagine its as comfy for the passenger as a Goldwing or K1200LT, but its still comfortable enough for her to pass out for hours at a time while we travel the countryside.

I can honestly say that if something happened to my bike tomorrow and I needed to replace it.......I would be right back shopping for another RT. I drank the kool aid, and it was good grin.gif

Thanks for the reply,

One other thing I have found in searching these threads is BMW's seem to have a problem with the final drive. Is this a low percentage of bikes that have this issue and is it common on the R1100RT?

Glad you brought this up. Sounds like you've been doing your research. Most of us believe that the rate of premature FD failure is in the low percent range.

Are you in Salt Lake City? There are a fair number of us here in N. Utah. Also this board has a twice annual meet in Torrey, Utah.

Welcome to the board.

Jan

ArthurKnowles

I bought a '96 RT last month with 60K on it. It had been maintained by the BMW dealer for all service up to 54K by the original owner. The nest one (who I bought the bike from) did not get the 60K maintence done, but I'm taking care of that. He did replace the rear rotor and front master cyclinder. The rest of the bike was in good shape. I'm happy with it.

I see a lot about the FD failures and personally think it is blown way out of perspective. If it happens on a new bike, it should be under warrenty. If it happens on a bike out of warrenty, well that just means maybe they should have bought an extended warrenty. If you don't then it means you should be willing to pay to fix any problems.

I do recommend that you:

A) Check the OEM manual for the factory service stamps. This can tell you if it was well mainteained or not.

B) Have the motorcycle checked out by a BMW dealer. They can tell you if it is a good buy for the condition.

Once you have it, ride it and enjoy it.

Thanks for the reply,

Glad you brought this up. Sounds like you've been doing your research. Most of us believe that the rate of premature FD failure is in the low percent range.

Are you in Salt Lake City? There are a fair number of us here in N. Utah. Also this board has a twice annual meet in Torrey, Utah.

Welcome to the board.

Jan

I am here in Salt Lake City. Thanks for all the information.

Howdy, SLC_Rider. I would recommend you have Ron at Motorcycle R & R check out the bike you are thinking of buying. Ron's a real straight shooter.

I hope you get the bike and come riding with us. Beehive Beemers is having Beemerfest on May 10 at Fort Douglas. You should plan on attending and meeting a few Beemerriders. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the reply,

Welcome to the board.

Jan

I am here in Salt Lake City. Thanks for all the information.

You can take the bike to Motorcycle R&R for a check-up if you want (and if the owner will let you... they should). Ron is great. Also R&R have events/rides on their special events page.

Jan

Hi Jay,

34k miles is nothing for an 1100 model if it is in good condition. BMW bikes do have their quirks (and you will hear about all of them here, so keep reading) but many find that they provide a total package that is just not available elsewhere... so we live with the, err... 'character'...

FWIW I own a 1996 R1100RT with 95k miles (have owned it since new.) The only problems I had had was a transmission repair (in my case due to a design issue that was resolved in 1997, so not a factor on a 2000 model-year bike) and a common issue with the crankshaft timing sensor wiring (mentioned above) that can be pretty easily cured. Other than the usual PM and stuff for a bike of this age (wheel bearings, brake lines, etc.) I have no other significant problems in nearly 100,000 miles.

One factor you might consider with regards to maintenance is how much you can do yourself. The 1100 bikes are pretty easy to work on and you might want to consider learning the basic tasks as BMW dealer maintenance expense can be quite high. For instance, the brake line replacement mentioned earlier in the thread can cost $300 and take four weeks, or if you do it yourself the cost will be about $120 and a few hours. This can make for an enormous difference in operating expense and owner experience over time.

Jay I am a proud owner of a 2000 1100RT. As previously stated, reliability of these bikes is pretty good considering the number on the road.

Mine has just turned 20K miles, I do my own maintenance, which is fairly simple if you are the least bit mechanically inclined. What costs are all the add on's, some here call them "farkles", that you will feel you need to add. Seat comfort seems to be a big complaint, used seats go for around $350-500. Forward lighting/headlight is not great and you will probably want to improve that with some add on motolights or PIAA 1100, figure $300. Changing out the shocks to some after market units will cost you around $1000 and improve the ride and handling.

I have taken a few two up trips for 3-5 day spans and it handles the load, provides plenty of comfort and gets decent gas mileage. I average around 44mpg on these trips with speeds in the 70-80 mph range. Both my wife and daughter have been known to fall asleep while riding pillon.

The 5 spd on this model vs. the 6 spd on the 1150's doesn't matter one bit. I have read in some posting on this site that the overall gearing is similar so what good is another gear. The trans/shifting on these bikes can take some getting used to. They do not shift as smooth as asian bikes at low RPM's. These bikes like to ridden hard, don't hesitate to run it up to the rev limiter, an Italian Tune Up is needed every once in awhile. The engine purrs right along at the 4500-5500 range. ABS assisted brakes are nice as well. The 1100 series brakes are not linked like those on the 1150, some don't like that feature.

The nice thing about this bike, they tend to hold there value, so if you find you don't like it, you won't have any problem selling it.

Be aware, this bike is a dog at slow speeds, it is top heavy. Dropping it is a rite of passage. Get it over with and move on.

I look at the newer models and like the simplicity of this fine machine and plan to have mime for a long time. Ageless Beauty

Ride Safe and Often thumbsup.gif

I appreciate all the responses. I am no stranger to working on motorcycles and tend to do most maintenance and repairs myself.

The only major concern I had with these was the final drive but it is something I will deal with.

Since finding the 2000 I initially posted about, I have since found a 98 with only 14k miles on it. He has all service records and the bike looks like it just came off the showroom floor. He is sticking firm at $6900. I think I am going to buy this today or tomorrow. Was there any major differences from 98 to 2000 I should be concerned with? The bikes look identical.

The only major concern I had with these was the final drive but it is something I will deal with.
I really wouldn't sweat the final drive. The odds are vastly in your favor of not having a problem, and if you are a decent home mechanic it isn't that expensive to rebuild the FD even if it does ever come to it.

Was there any major differences from 98 to 2000 I should be concerned with? The bikes look identical.
There are no significant differences between a 1998 and 2000 model.

'98 to 2000 are mechanically identical. The major changes on this model happened post '96 when the transmission and throttle body controls were improved. 2000 is an excellent year, I know a number of people that have 99-2000 models (I used to have a 2000 myself). One guy lost his clutch but no final drive failures on any of them. If it hasn't been done yet it probably needs pivot bearings (<$100 if you do it yourself). These are absolutely wonderful traveling machines. Just add Ohlins, learn how to do valve and throttle body adjustments and ride the crap out of it.

I got a well used RTP 3 years ago with 63K on it, 118K miles now and only the HES failed. Some will have parts go out, luck of the draw I guess.

The ABS unit appears to have failed. The ABS system warning lights started flashing a few months ago. But the brakes still work, so I haven't had it looked at yet. I take it to the shop for new tires and an oil change in a few weeks. I'll get the scoop on the ABS then.

ABS units are sensitive to low battery voltage. I'd look at that first regarding your "flashing lights" ABS warning. I'd be willing to bet that's your problem and not that the ABS itself has failed. From everything I've seen (and experienced on my R1100RT-P w/ 60K on it when I bought it) it's more likely to be a charging/battery voltage problem. I'd recommend a Battery Tender and keeping the bike "plugged in" if possible when not in use.

Be aware, this bike is a dog at slow speeds, it is top heavy. Dropping it is a rite of passage. Get it over with and move on.

I'm an instructor. I get a LOT of slow riding practice each training season--I'm going into my 18th in 2008--and I'd suggest that you if you have slow speed riding problems it's because you're not practicing enough at low speeds. dopeslap.gif I found my R1100RT-P a particularly easy bike to ride at slow speeds--far easier than either my GTS1000 or my Concours (now there's a top heavy bike bncry.gif) both of which had wet clutches. And with it's high ground clearance, easy to ride within the small U-Turn box used in MSF BRC classes!

Go forth and practice! Use some trailing rear brake if necessary. thumbsup.gif

I recently sold my '04 RT and am now kicking myself now!! It was a great bike. I purchased with 6k miles had the bike for a little over a year and sold it with 16k. Very comfortable solo or with the wife. PLENTY of power two up with enough stuff for a trip. As with any brand there are certain issues but I think overall package the BMW's won't dissapoint... IMHO.. Anyway, Once the baby gets here and my budget gets stable again there is definetly another RT in my future.

Archived