IGNORED

Unsuccessful challenge to helmet law

MNCruiser

Francois_Dumas

Would forbidding them to ride a motorcycle be against religion too then ?? Seems like the sensible way out to all parties. wink.gif

With statements like this...

"Who cares?" Mr. Badesha said. "Everybody ends up dead anyway. People die in cars too. In life, you have to take risks, no matter what."

Looks like he is shooting for a Canadian version of ABATE!

Is there no such thing as a DOT Turban? Or in this case CSA?

This guy no doubt figured that since the gutless Canadian government knuckled under and allowed turbans to replace normal RCMP (Police) hats, he could get the govenment to knuckle under on that one too.

As a Canadian I am getting sick and tired of immigrants who want to change the country to suit them, and equally sick of governments who are too spineless to stand up for principle.

Given recent history here, I am rather amazed that this decision came out this way!

religious discrimination?.... sorry can't see it.....somebody had to have keen insight into the future of the world to allow a follower of that religion to use religious discrimination as a basis of an argument about motorcycles and motorcycle helmets.

My religion forbids riding on the same roads as infidels; so could you guys pull over and let me get to work.

This is right up there with having braile numbers on the ATMs or letting title IX cancel male athletic programs because there aren't enough women's programs.

My religion forbids riding on the same roads as infidels; so could you guys pull over and let me get to work.

This is right up there with having braile numbers on the ATMs or letting title IX cancel male athletic programs because there aren't enough women's programs.

Hopefully I didn't just read what I thought I did. That's just plain offensive.

Exactly what I was thinking. What the hell has this got to do with assisting the blind? Absolutely nothing.

Is there no such thing as a DOT Turban? Or in this case CSA?

This guy no doubt figured that since the gutless Canadian government knuckled under and allowed turbans to replace normal RCMP (Police) hats, he could get the govenment to knuckle under on that one too.

As a Canadian I am getting sick and tired of immigrants who want to change the country to suit them, and equally sick of governments who are too spineless to stand up for principle.

Given recent history here, I am rather amazed that this decision came out this way!

Interestingly I heard on the national news tonight that two provinces -- B.C. and Manitoba -- already have laws that allow Sikhs to ride without helmets. Didn't know that.

russell_bynum

Exactly what I was thinking. What the hell has this got to do with assisting the blind? Absolutely nothing.

I suspect he meant braille at drive-up ATM's.

Paul_Burkett

their religion obliges them to cover their long hair with nothing more than a turban.

This line alone should be an example, to whit, They are "obliged to wear nothing more", but yet can wear more that the said turban. I wonder if this man is a legal citizen or not.

And if he isn't ... then what? Please finish your thought on how that would affect the decision and this discussion! lurker.gif

This line alone should be an example, to whit, They are "obliged to wear nothing more", but yet can wear more that the said turban. I wonder if this man is a legal citizen or not.

I wonder if he is going to purposely crash into a large building...Sorry, I had to do it... lurker.gif

You do know the difference between Islam and Sikhism don't you? The wearing of a turban does not make a person a terrorist.

It may be of interest to know some facts about these immigrants.

Sikhism in the U.S.

Sikhism in Canada

Isn't this more a question of whether law needs to bend to religion in general?

Yes, and the answer has to be no, public law can not bend to religion. If it did, which religions get to participate? Certainly not all religions could be accomodated ... how would conflicts between relgions be resolved? What would qualify as a religion for purposes of public law? Are those of no organized faith left without legal standing?
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I wonder if he is going to purposely crash into a large building...Sorry, I had to do it... lurker.gif

No you didn't need to go there. That's out of line.

It may be of interest to know some facts about these immigrants.

Sikhism in the U.S.

Sikhism in Canada

Isn't this more a question of whether law needs to bend to religion in general?

Yes, and the answer has to be no, public law can not bend to religion. If it did, which religions get to participate? Certainly not all religions could be accomodated ... how would conflicts between relgions be resolved? What would qualify as a religion for purposes of public law? Are those of no organized faith left without legal standing?

In the U.S. this question is pretty much settled law as I understand it. You are free in your mind. In your actions you obey the law. The Supreme Court dealt with the issue w/ respect to the Native American Church and use of peyote. After the court ruled against the church, congress amended the law to allow church members their sacred practice, IIRC.

In the U.S. this question is pretty much settled law as I understand it. You are free in your mind. In your actions you obey the law. The Supreme Court dealt with the issue w/ respect to the Native American Church and use of peyote. After the court ruled against the church, congress amended the law to allow church members their sacred practice, IIRC.

It's a little more nuanced than that. The case is Employment Division v. Smith. Congress then passed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, to enforce the prior standard that granted greater deference to religious practices. The Court smacked Congress down again, finding the RFRA unconstitutional in City of Boerne v. Flores.

Paul_Burkett

And if he isn't ... then what? Please finish your thought on how that would affect the decision and this discussion!

Sorry to get back so late, I had to go to work. Anyway, if the person is not a citizen, then what rights would he believe that he has to try and change the laws in his host country. If he is a citizen, then, is it the policy of the legislature or the courts to overthrow the laws of the province? People traveling to another country need to obey the laws set down by their host, because they are a guest, even if they have been there for years. My belief is that laws are made for all people, citizens and guests, to try to change a law is the responsibility of the citizens of that country. OR...don't come in to my country and try to change my laws to fit you! (and that comes with a smiley face) grin.gif

Archived