IGNORED

Bike Week So-Far

p_interceptor

p_interceptor

Bike Week So-Far

Daytona Beach

Observations,

Working north Florida I-75 and I-10 corridor.

Motorcycle crashed, 2 none serious.

Speeding citations to motorcycle or trucks hauling motorcycles, a bunch.

Fastest motorcycle clocked 122mhp, could not catch I think a Kawasaki.

Weather in Florida, could not be better, sunny and warm.

Other observations: Harleys tend to ride in trailers or in back of hick-up trucks.

When Harleys travel they tend to travel in packs.

I have yet to see a BMW on a trailer and BMW tend to travel alone or at least no more than 2 together.

Francois_Dumas

I have yet to see a BMW on a trailer and BMW tend to travel alone or at least no more than 2 together.

28247278_thbTt-M.jpg

Just kiddin'. Interesting observations, those last three lines. smirk.gif

JerryMather

Dutchy-

I hope that was to take it in to be serviced and not the way you guys do road trips over there. dopeslap.gif

Other observations: Harleys tend to ride in trailers or in back of hick-up trucks.

You know what the difference between a Harley and an old dog is?

The old dog can get in the truck by itself! lmao.gif

Jerry,

That was one of the BMWST loaner bikes. smirk.gif

Available only to those who know the secret handshake.

cool.gif

Francois_Dumas
Dutchy-

I hope that was to take it in to be serviced and not the way you guys do road trips over there. dopeslap.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Nina didn't think she could 'sit on a bike' for two days.... and without her 12 suitcases to carry along....

A year later she discovered she could.... we did it like this:

172829401_igx3g-M.jpg

I would still trailer..... if I had TWO bikes to take with me !!! grin.gif

I live about 80+ miles from Daytona and brought my GS Adventure in for a new antenna ring the first Saturday of Bike Week. I haven't gone for two years and I of course now remember why. If you like STOP/GO traffic, all of the time, loud V-twins, rude bikers, and jacked up prices, then it can be fun. But, some of the 'gals' for those of us that like scenery are indeed very, very interesting!

Francois,

Is there a leash law over there?

grin.gif

172829401_igx3g-M.jpg

I can get my bike to sit, but not always to stay. dopeslap.gif

I rode down on Saturday and stayed until Monday. I'm working on my pictures for a ride report - but most of them can't be shown here on a family site...

I only saw around 30-40 BMW's the whole time I was down there this year. I thought I saw a lot more previous years. While riding down I probably passed 200 Harleys on trailers, but most of them had license plates from Michigan or Ontario so I guess I can understand why they would trailer. My buddy trailer from Atlanta, but I'm glad he did because he brought a huge tent, sun awning, lots of camping chairs, and a couple of coolers.

One problem with riding a BMW at bike week is that nobody gets out of your way when you ride through a crowd. Not because they don't respect you, it's just that they never hear you coming! tongue.gif

Dianne and I rode down Monday after the CA trip. Other than stirring the pot a little with the locals, I was disappointed this year. Fewer vendors, Honda didn't even have demo rides set up. We bought some necessary stuff for the year ahead, sat on a few new bikes and took the opportunity to play with our new Scala Q2 bluetooth headsets. That was probably the best outcome of the day.

I used to live in Melbourne- south of Daytona by about an hour. I really miss the Bike week experience and the Biketober Fest as well.

Every irritating and disgusting thing that can be said for the entire experience is true- and for me it is also basically irrelevant.

The noise, the prices, the lack of parking the people all hard to deal with if your head is in that place. Mine is not.

I love the Rats Hole Bike show and think of it as the top of the line Art Show for the motorcycle building world.

I wish I were there.

HairyCannonball
Bike Week So-Far

Daytona Beach

Observations,

When Harleys travel they tend to travel in packs.

I believe most, certainly not all, Harley riders buy the bike to gain entrance and a sense of belonging to a group. They have no real interest in motorcycling. These observations seem to back this up. I live 25 miles from Sturgis and I see the same thing here every year here too.

HairyCannonball

I really wasn't trying to bash Harleys, just observing that the hobby is different for many who have them. In fact, as far as the bikes themselves go, I think the Ultra has a certain amount of merit as a touring motorcycle. That is perhaps why I find it interesting and maybe a little sad when I see them on a trailer. It just illustrates that it is a different hobby they are after than I am.

steve.foote
I really wasn't trying to bash Harleys, just observing that the hobby is different for many who have them. In fact, as far as the bikes themselves go, I think the Ultra has a certain amount of merit as a touring motorcycle. That is perhaps why I find it interesting and maybe a little sad when I see them on a trailer. It just illustrates that it is a different hobby they are after than I am.

I trailer my GS to a lot of places. Do you find that sad?

RichEdwards

Five of us (all on BMW's) rode up with Chris K on Wednesday to check out the manufacturers' offerings and the sorry group of vendors (unless you want some cheap sunglasses). Positives: I got to sit on the new 800GS. I watched an interesting demo by the NoMar tire changer folks. I was thinking about returning on Saturday, but will record the 200 and avoid the rally crowds. tongue.gif

Five of us (all on BMW's) rode up with Chris K on Wednesday to check out the manufacturers' offerings and the sorry group of vendors (unless you want some cheap sunglasses). Positives: I got to sit on the new 800GS. I watched an interesting demo by the NoMar tire changer folks. I was thinking about returning on Saturday, but will record the 200 and avoid the rally crowds. tongue.gif

Sorry group of vendors is right! I found Tommy with Held to be the only good vendor and they stuck him over in Harley World. Poor bastard! I felt sorry for him so I bought a tank bag. Nice bag too, Held's good stuff.

I would, except for the fact that you don't do it just to be cozy in your Hummer.

And yes, I know you would NEVER own such a garish example of ostentatiousness, what with global warming and all. grin.gif

HairyCannonball

Yup.

steve.foote
I would, except for the fact that you don't do it just to be cozy in your Hummer.

And yes, I know you would NEVER own such a garish example of ostentatiousness, what with global warming and all. grin.gif

Danny, you know me all too well. The Hummer is simply not big enough. wink.gif

Hey Wyn, stop bashing Harley!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Now Steve, here we go again. I was merely stating that he was in the wrong paddock. That no one (few) there would appreciate fine German crafted motorcycle apparel. I'm sure he lost alot of business being in the wrong area.

I mentioned to my friend while we were at the Held booth that we should lock up our helmets. "Na, nobody here wants em." Was the reply. thumbsup.gif

smkymtntaco

Too bad Rich...the race was a good one! What was especially nice was seeing BMW's in the race! I think they finished 6-7...anyway , both top-10's! The Leo Da Vinci Ducati finished 4th, too. The Erion Hondas were everything money could buy...except when the pitcrew screwed up the rear axle on the first pitstop on the leading Honda and stuck him back about 50 places! The BMW crew had flawless pitstops 7-12 seconds for two tires and fuel..WHOOHOO!

I liked the No-Mar demo, too. I broke down and bought a nice Belstaff Challenger jacket during the pouring rain on Friday. It's totally waterproof! wave.gif

Too bad Rich...the race was a good one! What was especially nice was seeing BMW's in the race! I think they finished 6-7...anyway , both top-10's! The Leo Da Vinci Ducati finished 4th, too. The Erion Hondas were everything money could buy...except when the pitcrew screwed up the rear axle on the first pitstop on the leading Honda and stuck him back about 50 places! The BMW crew had flawless pitstops 7-12 seconds for two tires and fuel..WHOOHOO!

I liked the No-Mar demo, too. I broke down and bought a nice Belstaff Challenger jacket during the pouring rain on Friday. It's totally waterproof! wave.gif

Darn, I forgot, my apologies to Belstaff. They were the other good vendor there! clap.gif

• 7 months later...
Dave in Doodah

I used to live in Cocoa - just north of Melbourne - and hit Bike Week every year. But mainly for the races. As I recall, we generally avoided the rude crowds and traffic without too much hassle. But if that's your thing, then I bet it's worth it...

As a side note, I believe it's not Bike Week that is notorious for the most rowdy, rude, raucious Daytona behavior... that honor is reserved for Spring Break. Talking to bar, restaurant, and hotel owners will teach you that the bikers are generally much more welcome than the college kids - they are more polite, clean, they spend lots more money, and tip better.

I think some people here missed "Broad Brush Week". :grin: I went to Bike week several times (not Biketoberfest) and trailered each time. Call me a wussy boy but riding from Pittsburgh to Daytona in late February or early March is pre-qualification to the Darwin awards.

Archived