IGNORED

RT dies in traffic

Arizona_oldguy

Arizona_oldguy

I was on my way to an engagement this afternoon, driving through one of the not nicer areas of Tucson. Waiting for the left turn arrow, the bike just died.

I hit the starter and she started up, the light changed and I made my left turn. Half way down the block, doing about 40 in 3rd gear I lost all power, shifted down through the gears, trying to get it to kick back over. I finally pulled off the road, and she would not start. Had to get her towed to the dealer, which, with waiting for the tow and all took most of the next 3 hours.

If I didn't know the tank was full, (I filled it this morning and can see gas just below the rubber washer) I would be sure it was out of fuel.

There are no messages on the dash, and she cranks fine, but no fire.

Waiting to see what the dealer will discover.

The bike has 21,000 miles on it and is under warranty, but I don't like being stranded. I depend on this as my main and almost exclusive transportation.

The irony is that this morning I met John from south of Tucson, and he mentioned that with 40 years on BMW's he has never been stranded.

Glenn

If I didn't know the tank was full, (I filled it this morning and can see gas just below the rubber washer) I would be sure it was out of fuel.

Hmm, this part might make me a little suspicious. I'd have them be sure to check for water in the fuel. Might be nothing but things are rarely a coincidence. Good luck.

Arizona_oldguy

I thought about that too, though water does go straight to the bottom, and I wonder how many miles you could run with a fresh dump of water in the tank before a problem would surface. From where I filled up to home I drove about 22 miles, and it sat most of the afternoon, I did Wash it, and then drove another 20 miles before the engine died.

I wondered if somehow I got something wet while washing the bike, though in my experience the bike is pretty water proof. Also I was well warmed up, on a dry and windy day, before it died.

Hopefully we shall hear from the dealer in a few hours.

Glenn

Has the gas tank been off lately?...During a service maybe...I had this happen on a freeway riding home after having the bike serviced...Tech had pinched the breather hose with the tank during re-installation and it actually collapses (quite a sight) as gas is used and the engine starves ....After waiting a minute or so it'll restart as air seeps back into tank..If I'd known what was going on I would have opened the filler....I was rattled as it quit during a slow turn after getting off the freeway and I almost put it down....

I wasn't happy when I returned it to the dealer for "repair"......

Phil.........Redbrick

Glenn, I believe there is a fuel moodule that is a high failure rate item. The failure mode seems to be after getting it wet and it rusts. Dealer should find it quickly.

Arizona_oldguy

Hi John,

I wonder if that is something one might want to pack with him on a long ride? Is it something you plug and play, so if the problem was the old one you could switch it out, replace with the new one, and it would work?

Glenn

Yes, I believe the consensus (if there is such a thing) is to have a fuel module, a ring antenna module and an alternator belt. That's what we will be taking to Alaska with us in addition to regular maintenance and repair stuff.

Arizona_oldguy

Well, after stringing along my friend, all day, who was going to pick me up this afternoon and take me to get my bike, the service adviser finally got back to me. The Fuel pump apparently died. frown.gif

I have less than 21000 miles on this bike, and I have missed three full weeks of riding since January of this year due to waiting for parts to come in. First it was the outboard transmission shaft seal; then the inboard transmission shaft seal; now I get to wait another week for the new fuel pump to show up.

I am really disgusted. And I certainly intend to get that extended warranty, if I keep the bike. How many occurrences do you need for the lemon law to kick in. I am afraid now to take the trip 4000 mile trip I had been planning to take in May. I only have two weeks, and I have to be back by a fixed time.

Glenn

Well, after stringing along my friend, all day, who was going to pick me up this afternoon and take me to get my bike, the service adviser finally got back to me. The Fuel pump apparently died. frown.gif

I have less than 21000 miles on this bike, and I have missed three full weeks of riding since January of this year due to waiting for parts to come in. First it was the outboard transmission shaft seal; then the inboard transmission shaft seal; now I get to wait another week for the new fuel pump to show up.

I am really disgusted. And I certainly intend to get that extended warranty, if I keep the bike. How many occurrences do you need for the lemon law to kick in. I am afraid now to take the trip 4000 mile trip I had been planning to take in May. I only have two weeks, and I have to be back by a fixed time.

Glenn

That sucks Glenn. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Your profile has very little info. What year is your bike? Did you buy new.. used? Is it possible your dealership or insurance will provide a loaner to ride while you are waiting?

Arizona_oldguy

Hi Brian,

Sorry about my profile, I keep meaning to update it.

I bought my 2006 RT in the spring of 2007, with about 5500 miles on it. It was a trade in which the dealer was selling. I really have had no complaints with the dealer's support or service, other than that they never seem to have the parts I need.

I have asked about a loaner in the past and one has never been available for me, and I have been given to understand that they don't have them. Whether or not they do under other circumstances I don't know.

I love the bike, and this is the first time it has really let me down. the leaking seals were not urgent, and it was only the lack of parts that caused me to be without a bike for those two weeks before. As I said, right now I am experiencing a real loss of confidence in the bike, that it is dependable enough to take on a long trip with not unlimited time at the other end.

Thanks for asking,

Glenn

Glenn

Archived