IGNORED

Why do oilheads consume so much oil?

AviP

I'm not sure I asked this before and if I did, I don't remember the answer. A search came up with all the oil threads and I couldn't find anything useful.

So, why do the oilheads consume so much oil? It's been 8 years and 23K miles for my 1100RT and the story never changes. Every 1000 miles or so, the oil level looks lower. Why is this bike annoying and gratifying at the same time? dopeslap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Make it 8 years and one month and take it out on a freeway for a couple of thousand miles. The bike really needs a long, hard run to get the rings to seat. Include, situation permitting, as many full throttle runs to top speed as your license will permit. Full throttle pulls in high gear do wonders for ring seating. A couple of passes down the drag strip probably wouldn't hurt either.

The nice thing about BMW bikes, and others with a cylinder liner similar to the Nikasil that BMW uses, is that the cylinder walls never glaze so ring seating just improves over the lifetime of the bike and remedial actions work.

I'm not sure I asked this before and if I did, I don't remember the answer. A search came up with all the oil threads and I couldn't find anything useful.

So, why do the oilheads consume so much oil? It's been 8 years and 23K miles for my 1100RT and the story never changes. Every 1000 miles or so, the oil level looks lower. Why is this bike annoying and gratifying at the same time? dopeslap.gif

AviP, why do you say oilheads consume so much oil? Exactly how much consumption are you talking about here? None of my oil heads have ever consumed even a quart of oil between oil changes

You say the oil level LOOKS lower at 1000 miles.. How much lower is it?

How many quarts does you engine burn between oil changes?

One thing to keep in mind is the difficulty in checking the oil level in the typical oilhead.. Due to the oil cooler having a temperature controlled valve & uncretain oil drain back after riding it is sometimes difficult to get accurate oil level reading unless done deliberately & carefully..

Twisty

"It's been 8 years and 23K miles for my 1100RT and the story never changes"

Try 12k per year and at 36k it slows down to .5 and at 50k it will just leak from the head gaskets! lmao.gif

Try 12k per year and at 36k it slows down to .5 and at 50k it will just leak from the head gaskets! lmao.gif

Then at 90k it just leaks out of that cheap POS plastic oil filler cap lmao.gif

I've been checking mine closely and I used about 8oz on my last 300 mile day trip! 04 RT,38k miles and I sure will not get accused of being gentle on the throttle! No problems with leaks,clean looking pipes,so where's it going?

Keeping it topped off is not a big deal to me ,just kinda wondering when it's gonna stop using oil confused.gif

I've been checking mine closely and I used about 8oz on my last 300 mile day trip! 04 RT,38k miles and I sure will not get accused of being gentle on the throttle! No problems with leaks,clean looking pipes,so where's it going?

Keeping it topped off is not a big deal to me ,just kinda wondering when it's gonna stop using oil confused.gif

Don, check you air box drain.. Maybe it’s ending up in the bottom of the air box through the venting system..

With a catalytic converter it seldom will show up as soot in the muffler outlet..

Try allowing it to go down a full quart before refilling.. If like a lot of the boxers it will only go down so far then stay at that level..

Twisty

So, why do the oilheads consume so much oil? It's been 8 years and 23K miles for my 1100RT and the story never changes. Every 1000 miles or so, the oil level looks lower.
It only takes about 2 ounces of oil to move the oil level by 1/4 of the sight glass, so even a very small amount of usage will be quite visible. Also, 23k miles is nothing to an oilhead. My 1100 used a fair amount of oil for the first 40k miles or so, then usage started to slowly drop. At 95k miles it uses practically none. Much better than the other way around... wink.gif

I have never added oil between changes on either oilhead after the first 5k. I changed one to Mobil 1 at 5K and the other at 965 miles. No oil related issues with either bike.

russell_bynum

My RT never needed oil between 6K changes after about the first 18K or so.

I always rode really easily (low rpm, low load) until the oil temp got up to 3 bars or so, then it was "ride it like you stole it": full throttle acceleration, bouncing off the rev limiter, etc.

Lisa's R1100RS burned about a quart between changes when we got it. After a year of Lisa flogging it...no more topping off the oil between changes. grin.gif

Make it 8 years and one month and take it out on a freeway for a couple of thousand miles. The bike really needs a long, hard run to get the rings to seat.

Ed's right on the mark here...

The last trip we took was 5000 hard 2-up loaded miles through the mountains, desert, and lots of full-throttle running, probably 400 miles of WFO. Mileage is now at 37k, and oil usage dropped to zero on this trip, and has stayed there ever since. When bike was new it was 16 oz every 600 miles. It had dropped down to 8 oz every 1000 miles before this trip.

No need to add extra details to the posts directly above other than to say that the "Italian Tune-Up" I gave mine for a few rides, fixed any messing about with topping up oil in between changes.

Linz

Rider1200RT

It leaked there at 15K already eek.gif untill a new O ring was installed... tongue.gif

it is all about the breakin. i did not believe it until i saw it for myself. 04 1150 rt, drank a lot up to 8k. took a 4k trip with about 20 mtn passes and a full load of supplies, used marvel in oil and gas as top cylinder and "machine oil" ( ymmv) kept it all topped up as it burnt it up, changed at 11k with v-twin synth and did not add a lick until 15k miles, maybe 1/2 qt.

put some clean dino in it and a light machine/breakin additive oil ala rislone, marvel, amsoil prolly makes some. and then go work it oui for a while, you don't have to brutalize it, just load get some heat and r's going through it. i use a penetrating/cutting oil addditive but the big thing is that you WANT some cutting and wear till it seats. it made all the difference in the world with oil consumption. i went from WTF!! to wow!! more like it.

Did the head gaskets last year and found all valves guides had lots of wiggle room. Maybe thats where my oil goes, maybe 2 quarts between changes. It's a 96 with 69K on the clock.

It leaked there at 15K already eek.gif untill a new O ring was installed... tongue.gif

I had the oil "weeps" at the filler and cam chain covers until I installed THESE.

ShovelStrokeEd

Jeebus, you had the heads off and noticed slop in the valve guides and didn't get it fixed? The guides and seals are cheap and just about any performance machine shop should be able to change 'em, ream to size and recut the seats on both the valves and in the head. Not even a bunch of money. San Jose BMW offers this service and their turn around is pretty quick.

Fergit worryin' 'bout the toppin' up!!

It's a small price to pay Moshe grin.gifgrin.gif

You'll be more than gratified when the motor lasts to 100k thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I did do three long/hard trips.

1. At 1000 miles, I did a 3000 mile 2-up trip to Nova Scotia with lots of full throttle blasts.

2. At 7500 miles, I did a 4200 mile trip to South Dakota with lots of 90mph riding.

3. At 12000 miles, I did a 4100 mile trip to Newfoundland with loooong wide open throttle blasts.

That totals over 11000 miles of high speed aggressive riding or about half of the 23000 miles on the bike. But it doesn't seem to matter.

I'll post the actual oil consumption after my 24K maintenance.

I've had 2 R1150RTs and neither of them has used but very small amounts of oil. A lot of my riding is two-up so the engine works harder assisting is seating the rings.

Don't spare the throttle. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

I have been meaning to update this thread with my oil consumption. I completed my 24K earlier this month. Air filter was clean.

The drained oil measured up to 2.3L. Rounding up to 2.5L for stuff that sticks to the oil pan and drain pan, I'm still over 1.0L short. I hate this oil thirsty engine.

Ahh, the mystery of the disappearing oil continues.

SAAB93driver
...I hate this oil thirsty engine.

Life it too short to agonize about it. If you can't be happy with it or accept it or fix it get a different bike and cut your losses. There are other RT's out there that don't do it and there are always other brands of bikes to choose from.

HairyCannonball
I have been meaning to update this thread with my oil consumption. I completed my 24K earlier this month. Air filter was clean.

The drained oil measured up to 2.3L. Rounding up to 2.5L for stuff that sticks to the oil pan and drain pan, I'm still over 1.0L short. I hate this oil thirsty engine.

Ahh, the mystery of the disappearing oil continues.

A liter short..in how many miles?

HairyCannonball
It's been 8 years and 23K miles for my 1100RT and the story never changes.

Well here is the reason..the bike is mad at you because you never ride it!! lmao.giflmao.gif

This is why I stopped giving my real address to the BMW dealer when I go in for parts or service - found that they were slipping into the garage at night, stealing a few ounces of oil out of the bike, and then selling it back to me at $8/quart.

Thanks for all the jokes guys but I've done all the service myself along with all the other vehicles in my sig. I never buy into BMW oil or filters. I even hate buying that crush washer too.

But seriously, since I got this bike I've had 3 kids and since I've worked primarily in Manhattan, there's not much in commute miles. And then I need to split time between the R1 and the Viper. All 2 seaters in a 5-person family. I think you'll understand. wave.gif

The fact is it still eats oil. Between 1.0L to 1.5L in 6000 miles. This is not about moving over to another brand. I would in a heartbeat if it wasn't for a very comfortable ride. It's about where is the damn oil going? eek.gif

ElevenFifty

54K on an 04RT ... using about a quart every 1200 miles - finally just accepted the fact that she liked oil and was going to drink it!

Last autumn I rode 835 miles in 11 hrs ... 30 minutes for lunch, 3 15 minute fuel/potty breaks ... LOTS of ~90mph riding for hours at a time (thanks Alabama LEO's)

56K up to 70K ... doesn't use any measurable amount of oil. Still hard to believe that a 55K motor could still not be 'broken in' but that was the case. clap.gif

Just have to face facts.

It burns oil just like mine does. Runs great but likes to drink (bit like it's owner really).

Don't worry about it.

Steve

ShovelStrokeEd

Avi,

1 liter short in 6000 miles is really not very bad at all. Remember, there is about 200cc in the oil filter as well. If you are at all concerned, just throw 200 cc in there every 1500 miles or so and keep on riding.

Forget about the sight glass and all that oil checking BS, bike on sidestand, oil visible at all, go ride. No oil visible, throw a liter in there. You probably won't get to that state till about 5K miles anyway.

DavidEBSmith

1 liter short in 6000 miles? That's when it's time for an oil change anyway. If I knew I was using 1 liter in 6000 miles, I wouldn't even look at the level between oil changes. (As if I do).

The factory spec for permissible oil consumption is 1 liter per 1000 km, which is stupid. 1 liter in 6000 miles is 10 times better.

Are you topping off at every rest stop/fillup? Check your airbox and see if it is oily. If so, you are overfilling. Keep oil level in the lower half of the sight window and your problem should cease.

Back in '01 I noticed that my bike ate oil down to the mid point of the window and then stabilized.

SCOTTIE

Between 1.0L to 1.5L in 6000 miles.
Heck, 1.5l in 6K is probably within spec for any vehicle. Me thinks you are being too picky. Put oil in it when it really needs it, otherwise - ride, enjoy.

Don, check you air box drain.. Maybe it’s ending up in the bottom of the air box through the venting system..

With a catalytic converter it seldom will show up as soot in the muffler outlet..

Try allowing it to go down a full quart before refilling.. If like a lot of the boxers it will only go down so far then stay at that level..

Twisty

mine is using about 300ml for every 1000mi or so....nothing in the air box (I,ve checked hahah) ...I was suspecting the way the bike stand on its sidestand? maybe some oil is going in the left cinder head and get burned at start up? .....

why, if so unusual for oilhead to consume oil, they sell small portable oil reservoir specially made for the BMWs? (I've never seen this device for any other brand... confused.gif)

Life it too short to agonize about it. If you can't be happy with it or accept it or fix it get a different bike and cut your losses. There are other RT's out there that don't do it and there are always other brands of bikes to choose from.

yup!...and since nothing is breaking, none should really worry about it....I guess we are to picky... dopeslap.gif

Since no one has mentioned it, here is the proper method to check the oil level in an oilhead bike:

1. ride

2. at end of ride place bike on side stand for 12-15 minutes.

3. Put bike on centerstand

4. Check oil sight glass.

5. Go inside, have a beer.

6. Repeat steps 1-6.

You will notice there is nothing mentioned about the oil level in the sight glass. Nothing mentioned about adding oil. Nothing mentioned about adding 122.3 cc of oil when oil is 14.2 mm down from top of sight glass.

At 6000 mile intervals, change oil and oil filter. Unless you see oil dripping out of the bottom of the engine, or you are pulled over by mosquito control because you are taking work away from them, don't worry about the oil. The sight glass is there just as an emergency oil evacuation route.

I had a really pleasant surprise on my March trip from Victoria to San Diego and back.

Like all my trips before, I carried a quart of synthetic along with me for an every-other-day top-up. However, my bike did not burn a teaspoon the whole trip it seems. The oil level on return was exactly what it was at the start.

She just rolled over the 42,000 mile mark and is running better than ever. Seems the story that the engine just gets tighter with age is true.

Looks like I have the least thirsty bike. lmao.gif Picky me. dopeslap.gif

Additionally, as Sidemariner noted, the consumption seems to be negligible on long trips. I think it's got something to do with the number of cold starts.

I'll wait for the magic number when she stops burning oil. At my rate, that's probably going to be about 8 years more.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been experimenting (it won't last long) with riding a little more gently than my norm. This was due to only getting 4k mi out of my pilot roads frown.gif

I found oil consumption on my R1150R was reduced when full throttle acceleration and 120mph freeway speeds were waived in favor of "just staying ahead of traffic" behavior. I only have 36k on the bike though so I'll just keep going fast and topping off till it tightens up some more cool.gif

SAAB93driver

yup!...and since nothing is breaking, none should really worry about it....I guess we are to picky... dopeslap.gif

Maybe so. My choice in car brand is full of people who are too picky but also too pigheaded to change but at least they know when to stop bitching and capitulate or move on to a volvo.

Sorry if this has already been covered but I am not going to sift through all the threads to share my own results on oil burning. Oil heads do not burn much oil. My 96 RT with 80,000 plus miles might burn 300 cc in 4,000 miles. My discussions with other RT owners of similiar vintage share a common result. If yours "burns" more oil, it could be due to a variety of causes. The most common I have seen on this board and anecdoticaly are operators being too concerned about keeping the oil level at exactly the right level and a quirky motorcycle that seldom lets you determine exactly what the exact level is at any given time. I would postulate if you don't see blue exhaust, you are not "burning" oil, you are blowing oil.

HairyCannonball

1 liter in 6000 miles is nothing at all to worry about. At the rate your putting on miles thats still less than half a liter a year!! wink.gif

Seriously, it is probably evaporating faster than you are actually using it... lmao.giflmao.gif

But really seriously this time one liter in 6000 miles is quite good. Relax, don't worry, go ride and then have a homebrew.

Archived