IGNORED

SY-MAX II

Crazy_Canuck

Crazy_Canuck

Has anyone purchased the new HJC SY-MAX II helmet?

If so I was wondering how you like it?

Cheers wave.gif

Rob

I've wondered the same thing. My Symax is now over 5 years old. I really like it, but I suppose I should start thinking about replacing it.

I'll sit and wait for forum responses with you. lurker.giflurker.gif

Jay

Just bought my third one, to replace the old, still like the thing.
The SY-MAX II with the internal flip down sun screen?
Crazy_Canuck
Just bought my third one, to replace the old, still like the thing.
The SY-MAX II with the internal flip down sun screen?

Yeah what he said, you bought 3 since January 2008 (I think that's when they came out)? dopeslap.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

Paul_Burkett

I have been looking at them myself, the one thing that I see on them that I don't like is the large amount on stuff that they place around the mechanism that raises and lowers the sun visor. That extra stuff makes wind noise and yet I wonder if since it on the back of the helmet, will it make that much noise? Everything that I have heard about the first Sy-Max is good, so perhaps this addition to the origional helmet will only improve the line of HJCs.

I've got one on order at the nearby Honda dealership, supposed to arrive on Monday, March 10th. The latch that holds the chin bar in the up position broke on my original Sy-max, so I'm anxious for it to arrive.

I'll let y'all know about it when it arrives. smile.gif

WyreNut

I have one of the new lid's and did a review of sorts over on ADVriders site. web page

This new symax to me is no more or less noisy than the original but I typically wear ear plugs.

The face shield does not leak like the original.

Fit is the same to me. Need to add thinner cheek pads like I did with the original.

The sun visor works good but when the release button is pressed I have learned to hold the slide and ease it up rather than let the visor slam up.

I Like the liner better on the new symax. The face shield just pulls out and off when open which is much easier to me than the old release system.

Picked up mine today, rode it home from the dealership.

Fit was excellent for me, and I really like the sun shield. It lowers to 3 different positions, and is spring-loaded. When you hit the release button on top of the helmet, the sucker really slams back instantly! As Canuck said, it's a little disconcerting, and reading through the tiny pamphlet included with the helmet, I see no cautions about letting it fly back.

Vents are easy to operate, as is the chin bar release. The release seems easier to operate than my previous SyMax - very easy to operate with winter gloves.

One thing about the vents - there is a pair of holes at the top of your skull that seem to have no way of closing, other than plugging them somehow!

My main complaint is noise factor. The inclusion of the sun visor mechanism has seemed to me to produce more wind noise at the top of the helmet, right where the operator and release button lie. Side noise seems a bit quieter, but I haven't attached all my helmet farkles yet. (I've been using a cheap Chatterbox system, and it added noise at the left side) I'm now waiting for delivery of a Camos Bluetooth system smile.gif

Using both the sun shade and the clear shield, I see a tiny bit of "wavyness" looking through both pieces of plastic, but it's not that noticeable - I have to look for it to see it. Riding with the clear screen open and the sun shade down is really slick - nice air flow on my face, but my eyes are protected from the air flow.

Overall, after only one ride I think I'm going to be happy with my purchase.

(Now the wife will prolly want one!)

WyreNut

Has anyone upgraded from CL-MAX to a SyMAX - 2? I'm wondering about about comparitive fitting. Is a Medium SyMAX-2 likely to be the same as a Medium CL-MAX?

It looks like a great helmet so I ordered one online without the benefit of being able to try it on. Unfortunately it was too big in the forehead area for me. I have a hard to fit head but after reading the posts about it fitting an oval shape I was optimistic and figured I'd take a risk with an online purchase. I never even removed the stickers as it was obvious that it was too big. I'm trying to post it in the classifieds.

Has anyone upgraded from CL-MAX to a SyMAX - 2? I'm wondering about about comparitive fitting. Is a Medium SyMAX-2 likely to be the same as a Medium CL-MAX?

I went from a Symax (one?) to the new Symax 2 and the Large size transferred just fine from the former to the latter for me.

I've since installed the Camos BlueTooth unit on it (it barely fit!) and am learning to use it with all my equipment.

WyreNut

Archived