IGNORED

battery box mounts on trans of R1100RT

bmwterry

A question for anyone that has tried to remove these mounts. The p/n 61212305050 mounts have a 6mm thread on each end and are a rubber donut in the middle. Has anyone every sucessfully removed these from the top of the transmission case, without destroying them? If so, please share your technique. TIA

Has anyone every sucessfully removed these from the top of the transmission case, without destroying them?
Pretty hard to do. The same designed is used elsewhere on BMW bikes and the rubber usually tears.

Why are you trying to remove them, just out of curiosity.

Why are you trying to remove them, just out of curiosity.

I am installing a reman trans that came without them.

A question for anyone that has tried to remove these mounts. The p/n 61212305050 mounts have a 6mm thread on each end and are a rubber donut in the middle. Has anyone every sucessfully removed these from the top of the transmission case, without destroying them? If so, please share your technique. TIA

Terry, those things are generically called lord mounts.. Have a metal plate molded in on both ends for the stud attachment..

If they are not REAL tight_ find a piece of thin walled pipe or steel tubing that just slides over the rubber portion.. Split that tube on the end then slide it over the mount.. Then clamp that split end tight on the rubber mount (make sure it extends over the metal plate on both ends) . Then turn the metal tubing with a pipe wrench or pliers.. Sometimes that is all it takes,, if they are corroded in or real tight you will probably not budge them without damage..

Twisty

ShovelStrokeEd

Just go to McMaster Carr (they have everything) They call them sandwich mounts and the things you need are right on top of the page. About $1.50 each.

We use them on our instruments for vibration isolation of the vacuum pumps. Being a US company, ours are 5/16" but 6mm is available.

Has anyone every sucessfully removed these from the top of the transmission case, without destroying them? If so, please share your technique. TIA
I'd like to know this as well as every set I've ever encountered seemed welded in place.

BTW I was in the same situation as you, had a transmission without those thingies (whatever they're called) and didn't want to wait to source a pair to get the bike back together. Instead I substituted a couple of runner stoppers available at my local hardware store, cut them to length and drilled a hole thorough the center and used a bolt through the battery tray, through the rubber spacer, and into the transmission. Works fine, and has the added benefit of being easier to disassemble when removing the transmission (vs. having to fight the battery tray each time as with the OEM arrangement.)

I went thru my tool box and found an old prehistoric looking pair of visa grips that someone gave me years ago. The jaws were the exact height of the bushing. I clamped them on gently and turned. Both bushings broke loose easily.

Thanks for the input from all!

Archived