IGNORED

Comfort seat question

catneck

Hello,

I have a Comfort seat on my RT. What exactly makes this different from the standard seat?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

ShovelStrokeEd

Biggest difference is that it is even LESS comfortable than the stock one.

More padding in the wrong places so it tends to spread your legs more and doesn't provide a good platform for a sound riding position.

More padding in the wrong places so it tends to spread your legs more and doesn't provide a good platform for a sound riding position.

Well it is "Comfort"able on my 300 mile commutes for me, I have not tried the stocker though...

You forgot to add, that those short of leg, have more difficulty putting their feet down grin.gif

You forgot to add, that those short of leg, have more difficulty putting their feet down grin.gif

I have a 32" inseam. My other bike is a V-Strom, the RT is a bunch lower.

I switch back and forth between the stock and comfort, agree with previous posts, the comfort is thicker (higher) and wider,which makes for quite a bit of difference when using reverse gear. With 33" inseams reverse is easy with the stock and touchy with the comfort. The stock seat is much easier to squeeze the fuel tank with knees when trying to keep up with the boys. Also, I ride with both seats in the highest position with a 3/8 shim under the front mount because I go for the un-crunched up leg mode as much as possible.

Steve

Hello,

I have a Comfort seat on my RT. What exactly makes this different from the standard seat?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

It looks more like a king and queen seat (well, the king section anyway)!

Despite other posts, I get on well with my comfort seat, although my long distance riding is mostly done on interesting roads. Maybe if I had more riding on Motorways/dual carriage ways I would start thinking more about my backside instead of the riding.

Andy

sorry Ed, couldn't disagree more.

The Comfort seat on my RT is, well, dare I say it....downright comfortable. Especially when wearing leathers. The stock seat, (which I spent some time on too), was slightly better than a used 2x4 with the nail still in it.

But hey, that's me..

RPG

ShovelStrokeEd

No need to apologize, different strokes for different folks. When I had my '00 RT, it had the stock seat on it. I borrowed a comfort seat from my local dealer and took it for a 550 mile jaunt up to Tampa and back. I almost turned around in Arcadia (140 miles) but figured I could get used to it. I violated all sorts of traffic rules to get back before he closed so I could return that torture device.

Same deal with my 1100S. I tend to sit pretty light on the seat and don't, at all, like an upright riding position. In both cases, the "comfort" model dug into the backs of my thighs, which is where I "sit".

BTW, there is a BMW seat that I did find very nice. It was an option on the early R1100RS. You couldn't get it fitted on the bike from the factory but it was available from the accessories catalog. On piece seat with a bit of a step in it leading up to the pillion seat. Nearly identical to the seat on my Blackbird which is one of the best I have found. I'm betting, if you can find one, it will fit on an RT as well.

i too have a comfort seat on mine but it came with it, i used it as the base for a custom seat though so it is better. i will agree with the observation that it was a bit wide but i trimmed it with the fitment. i probably would have gone with a stock seat and customed it in hindsight. either way, i wish i had gone custom on day two. i tooka 4k mile trip last fall ( on conti road attacks but that is a different thread) smile.gif and was comfy as could be. mine has seat jacks and had raised padding but i am 6'4" and needed the extra stretch as well as lowering pegs. if i ever get another bike my first stop will be at rich's for a custom seat. 300 miles used to be a pain, 7-800 at a whack goes by like a barcalounger...and it is not even a gold wing! smile.gif

I have the comfort seat on my '97 RT and it works well for me. I have done many 1000+ mile days and do not feel that I need to replace the seat. I will say that in the warmer temps I use bead rider cover, mainly for the air flow.

Archived