IGNORED

Amateur Radio for the Bike?

krussell

What are Hams running on their bikes? I've got the autocom mostly in and was thinking about radios. I plan on using the Zumo for MP3s. I need something for FM/Weatherband, and I may need something for bike to bike someday. I see the new Yaesu VX3-R has an FM stereo output, looks cool, I'm not a huge Yaesu fan though. They also have a Motor Sports radio with intercom, detachable face that is weather proof, etc. Seems a bit gimmicky in some ways, maybe really nice in others. It's the FTM-10R. Anyone running one? Anyone with other recommendations?

What I'd really like is a stock radio that did 2M/440 and GMRS with weather and FM stereo. That would be perfect. It looks like I'll need a separate GMRS unit and Amateur unit.

I ordered a BMR Co-Pilot shelf today, so I'll have plent of real estate to hang stuff from.

Lot's of discussion here.

I've used a Yaesu FT-60R with some success. I wired it through my Autocom. I have a flat metal plate that I attached a small dual band, mag-mount antenna to. I then attach that to the back rack.

Without modification, I don't know if any of the HAM radios have GMRS as an option. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I went shopping.

KC0LTU

I am running a Kenwood TM-D700A. 2M / 440 / APRS.

This radio can be modified to transmit / receive on GMRS frequencies. Modification instructions are on the internet (it is simple.)

It is not as much a wide band receiver such as many of the newer Yeasu units, and the speaker output is mono (or stereo if you wish to feed one band in the right ear and the other band in the left ear which I do not recommend.)

The link in the prior post has more detail on mine and other setups, including a very good isolation circuit between the TM-D700A and an Autocom posted by Scarver.

MarkEngland

Kevin,

I installed my Kenwood HT (dual band) on my BMR shelf on the left side. The URL below shows my FRS radio, but my Kenwood HT fits the same place. Having the BMR shelf is the key. You have so many options. On my previous LT I installed a 5/8 wave mobile antenna on the right side using the same CB bracket (just modified).

http://kc6tew.com/modifications/ltmods/mods.html

Here is the URL for the BMR shelf on my RT.

http://kc6tew.com/modifications/mods.html

Kevin,

I installed my Kenwood HT (dual band) on my BMR shelf on the left side. The URL below shows my FRS radio, but my Kenwood HT fits the same place. Having the BMR shelf is the key. You have so many options. On my previous LT I installed a 5/8 wave mobile antenna on the right side using the same CB bracket (just modified).

http://kc6tew.com/modifications/ltmods/mods.html

Here is the URL for the BMR shelf on my RT.

http://kc6tew.com/modifications/mods.html

Mark,

I'm not getting anything when trying to connect to your links, not sure if it's temporary.

Hi guys,As we are on the topic of radios,does anybody know of a no ground plane aerial?Over here we use PMR radio`s on uhf 446(similar to your frs)i want to reuse the hole in the fairing where the stock radio aerial used to live.Any links would be appreciated.This would be connected to a Puxing radio(sma?connector)

MarkEngland

Mark,

I'm not getting anything when trying to connect to your links, not sure if it's temporary.

um.. working fine on my two computers.

What are Hams running on their bikes? I've got the autocom mostly in and was thinking about radios. I plan on using the Zumo for MP3s. I need something for FM/Weatherband, and I may need something for bike to bike someday. I see the new Yaesu VX3-R has an FM stereo output, looks cool, I'm not a huge Yaesu fan though. They also have a Motor Sports radio with

intercom, detachable face that is weather proof, etc. Seems a bit gimmicky in some ways, maybe really nice in others. It's the FTM-10R. Anyone running one? Anyone with other recommendations?

What I'd really like is a stock radio that did 2M/440 and GMRS with weather and FM stereo. That would be perfect. It looks like I'll need a separate GMRS unit and Amateur unit.

I ordered a BMR Co-Pilot shelf today, so I'll have plent of real estate to hang stuff from.

There is someone on the LT forum that is using one of the FTM-10Rs

BMWLT.com

I was thinking about one but havent pulled the trigger yet.

Good Luck and please share what you end up doing.

Randy (KA6TJH)

Mark,

um.. working fine on my two computers.

So it was temporary, both links are fine now.

Great documentation, thanks for taking the time to write everything up. You mention a volume control you added to the autocom, but I didn't see any details or missed them. Can you elaborate? I bought the Super Pro with automatic volume control, but I too am surprised their isn't any easy adjustment.

You could put a grommet in the hole and use one of these dipoles. Sticks to the inside of your screen and is centre cut for 70cms and PMR freqs - cheap as chips too

1005147-Antenna.jpg.24ef3f9b5a322a128820d7f4ec8ca9cd.jpg

I am running Kenwood HTs for my ham radio set up. TH78 and THD7 for the times I want to run APRS.

I would like to put one of my D700s on the bike but haven't as of yet. I carry two TH78 on the bike so I always have a back up and so the wife and I can stay in contact when off the bike at one of the big swap meets or whatever. Yes, she's a ham too.

When I need to run GMRS or FRS I have a small Kenwood for that too. I don't modify my ham gear to work on other bands and radio services (such as GMRS and FRS) as it is illegal to use modified ham gear there. Yes I know, others do it and nobody hardly ever gets caught but my ham license has to mean something. If I wanted to bootleg, I would go to CB with all the good buddys.

As far as no ground plane antennas, I just use half wave antennas such as the Diamond NR770 series or the Comet SBB5 or the HP32 for the ham frequencies. They will match well and have good service records.

I do have a small (50 watt) dual band linear in line that can be switched on to reach those distant repeaters. Again, ham bands only.

73. W6EZ

As far as no ground plane antennas, I just use half wave antennas such as the Diamond NR770 series or the Comet SBB5 or the HP32 for the ham frequencies. They will match well and have good service records.

Do you have any links for these please?I might be able to order from here to be delivered to a friend in Illinois as the £ to $ exchange is reasonable.

You could build a J-pole. It requires no other counterpoise. K4AY

+1 for 1/2 wave verticals from Diamond.

I use a Kenwood TH-F6A - It uses the same Kenwood Autocomm cable as the Kenwood GMRS radio. If you don't want to modify the TH-F6A, you can just swap the GMRS radio in and out as needed.

I bought an FTM-10R yesterday at the Midland swapmeet for $269 (demo). Now it's time to find an antenna and mount, and build and Autocom interface. I think I can figure all that out. I still hate that it doesn't have a computer software programming interface.

I'm running a FTM-10R. Bought it about 6-8 months ago and fooled with it a bit. Installed it a couple of weeks back.

Radio has already passed the vibration test, it was bolted to the shelf while I was drilling a 1" hole (not shown) in the stainless steel plate.

FTM-10R drawer (right) and a DV recorder mounted on shelf in the radio box...

picture-2.jpg

FTM-10R Control Head to the left of the 2820 on a Migsel mount...

picture-9.jpg

Hopefully I'm going to diddle with the Bluetooth module this weekend.

Mike hasn't been on the board in a while, has anyone heard anything out of him?

He used to make an antenna mount for the 1150RT that's black anodized and mounts on the RT luggage rack.

• 2 weeks later...

One option to both 2m/440, WX, GMRS would be to buy a Yaesu VX-7R HT, an adapter CT-1 at TTL2USB.com and download VX-7R Commander Software. Using the software you can freeband your radio with out mechanical modifications and it is completely reversable. The key is an effective antenna that works on all of the bands you want to use. This of course is in violation of FCC regulations.

Archived