IGNORED

Color Schemes in German Airplane Assemblies

Trajan

Hi Guys,

I thought I would ask a question about something that would be typically German. A long time ago I read an article about how German aircraft manufacturers in WW2 color coded aircraft systems to make maintenance and piloting easier. As I remember, it went like this:

Red....Fuel & fire extinguisher

Brown..Oil

Green..Coolant

Blue....Air

Yellow.Weapons

Black..?

Grey...?

The instruments had these colors on them and major assemblies were supposed to be marked this way also.

Does anyone remember this or have further information?

Thanks,

Trajan

(seriously bored in East Bay, CA)

I have a former Bundeswehr 404s Unimog that retains the color coding on several components. It's a bit different than your list and maybe completely useless!

Red is engine oil

Yellow is trans oil

Red is also out going air from on board air compression

Yellow the return line

If it wasn't dark outside and if I didn't have the flu I would see what else is colored. Again not like it is the same as what your looking for so it's all moot really!

I dunno but I found this ISO standard on pipe colors for ships that's pretty cool. I think I'll paint all the hoses and lines on my RT according to this scheme.

ISO Standard 1001-2-043-4134-454-234

"All systems - Covered in dirt".

There ya go EB.

Thanks guys. Next time I go to work on the bike or the truck, I'll have collection of colored wire looms and tape handy. This really helps when you're trying to figger out how you wired your klugeometer to your gadgetmaster that drunken Saturday three years ago and the thing actually worked.

Bill_Walker
I dunno but I found this ISO standard on pipe colors for ships that's pretty cool. I think I'll paint all the hoses and lines on my RT according to this scheme.

Typical overkill standard. It has too many color codes for anybody to remember without a cheat sheet, although I suppose someone could learn only the ones specific to his area of work or expertise.

Archived