IGNORED

Autolite 4163 spark plugs

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

Based on the hexhead alternate parts list I got a set of the Autolite 4163 spark plugs. I found that the Autolite's hex is 11/16" and the stock Bosch plug is 5/8" or 16mm. Will the Autolite fit and is there a available plug wrench that is thin walled enough to fit? Any first-hand experience in using the Autolites?

The Hexheads have 4 spark plugs. Each cylinder has one on the horizontal axis, the other on the vertical axis from below. Thus, TwinSpark!

Thanks - I got to check this out - I thought the twin spark was refering to something with the ignition not actually 2 per jug - that's awesome

I just installed a set of 4 DENSO IRIDIUM POWER SPARK PLUG:

I also couldn't get my head around the fact that there were four plugs - I couldn't even find them!! Anyway, based on recommendations here, I bought the Denzo plugs. Then I searched this forum for some sort of guide as to how to change them - I only remember the old Champion spark plug caps and couldn't see them!! tongue.gif

Couldn't find anything here except a reference to a DVD so bought the Haynes workshop manual. And I still can't work it out!!! The side plugs look so deeply embedded (probably not helped by the fact that I have a Wunderlich engine protector installed) that I am loathed to start digging around for fear of damaging something.

The previous poster cannot be alone in struggling with this so is there a "hardned" hex-header that can explain how to SIMPLY remove the plugs?

Cheers

Last night was mounting the plastic headguards and started checking out the cylinder head and what do you know - another plug circuit - you could have knocked me over with a feather tongue.gif.

For those new to bike, like myself, +1 on the lower plug removal process.

Thanks for the continued enlightenment of this bike.

Regards

Luis

Just to fill in all the blanks, the US model year R1150xx was also a dual plug engine, as are all of the hexheads, except the newest HP dual overhead cam engine, which goes back to a single plug per side.

And there is an aftermarket kit from San Jose BMW to convert any R1150xx head to dual spark, so there are some of them around too.

Paul Mihalka

Ken, now knowing that Autolite 4163 plugs don't work in hexheads, can you take them out of the list of the hexhead parts thread?

is the reason the autolite plug won't fit because the treads do not match or is it because of the clearance for the socket to get the plug in there?

Paul Mihalka

Already with the stock 5/8" hex plugs you need a thin walled plug wrench to remove the plugs. With the 11/16" Autolites I don't think it will work.

When should you change your spark plugs?

I am not disputing BMW's reccomendation, but for me, I change mine if I find after cleaning and gapping them that: the electrode is worn, the ceramic looks dodgy, the bikes performance is doubtful, if the fuel consumption is increasing or if they are just suspect.

Otherwise they are back in for another session!

Andy clap.gif

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

"The previous poster cannot be alone in struggling with this so is there a "hardned" hex-header that can explain how to SIMPLY remove the plug?" OK, first of all the JVB DVD does not cover "Changing Spark Plugs", however the Haynes Service manual does cover this very well. Probably the best time to change the plug is when you're also balancing the Throttle Bodies, since you have to remove both sides of the Tupperware to get to the bottom plug. You can look under the cylinder head and see the "Cap/coil cover" that covers the bottom plug. The ignition Coil that goes to each spark plug has a small wiring connect that goes to it. This wiring connector should be disconnected, so as not to get damaged, when you pull the Cap/coil off the spark plug. If you plan to do maintenance on your own bike the two best guides you can get are (1) the JVB DVD, and (2) the very well illustrated Haynes Manual.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/9781844255986.html

Ken, now knowing that Autolite 4163 plugs don't work in hexheads, can you take them out of the list of the hexhead parts thread?
Done.

I was kind of suspicious of it to start with, but several people over at Advrider had said that number. Oh well, you get what you pay for!

there couldn't be much difference between the 06 and 07 RT's, could there? Might just order that book once the DVD comes in.

Jim VonBaden
"The previous poster cannot be alone in struggling with this so is there a "hardned" hex-header that can explain how to SIMPLY remove the plug?" OK, first of all the JVB DVD does not cover "Changing Spark Plugs", however the Haynes Service manual does cover this very well. Probably the best time to change the plug is when you're also balancing the Throttle Bodies, since you have to remove both sides of the Tupperware to get to the bottom plug. You can look under the cylinder head and see the "Cap/coil cover" that covers the bottom plug. The ignition Coil that goes to each spark plug has a small wiring connect that goes to it. This wiring connector should be disconnected, so as not to get damaged, when you pull the Cap/coil off the spark plug. If you plan to do maintenance on your own bike the two best guides you can get are (1) the JVB DVD, and (2) the very well illustrated Haynes Manual.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/9781844255986.html

You know, I never realized I left that out. dopeslap.gif

Here is the cover for the spark plug, lower, that must be removed to replace the plug.

O2-sensor-1.jpg

Jim cool.gif

+1
Dick - thanks for the link - just ordered mine.

Luis

Checked out the DVD - very well done - takes out the mystique about working on the bike.

Jim - job well done

Luis

there couldn't be much difference between the 06 and 07 RT's, could there? Might just order that book once the DVD comes in.

I'm still waiting for someone to update their printed manuals to reflect the changes to the '07 RT brake system...

• 2 weeks later...
Nope--those Autolight plugs will not work in the Hexhead. I just installed a set of 4 DENSO IRIDIUM POWER SPARK PLUG: IXU22 Total price was $38.00 http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ND-IXU22 and they work great. Engine is very smooth, starts quickly, and pulls well from about 2200RPM, which was difficult before.

In another thread, someone reported problems with these plugs. Are yours still working fine?

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

No Problem with the Denso Iridiums--I have about 800 miles on them, bike starts and runs great.

Archived