IGNORED

Continental Road Attack Tires

daveinatlanta

daveinatlanta

I almost hate to post yet another tire question -- but need some advice about the above tires. I have an 04 RT and have had Metzler Z6s in the past and currently have 880s - which have about 8K miles on them. The rear tire still has good tread and the front has good tread too. BUT the front also has worn the flat 'ring' in the center and produces a howl with even the slightest turn. I guess that is a result of too much straight line riding. That's my main objection - the noise! And I wear ear plugs..

So I'm considering alternatives such as the Conti RA. I've read the reviews here and elsewhere about the Contis and it look they're designed to wear better in the center. But - here's my question -- I wonder if they're mostly suited for the more aggressive rider - which I'm not. My riding style: 75-80 mph on the highways and, while I do the North Ga twisties, I take the turns at a pace that is probably slower than the typical RT rider. I nearly always travel one-up with little or no luggage (except for a trip) and weigh 177#.

My other option is just to stick with the ME880s as I'm used to them - but I'm disappointed in the wear in the center.

Thx for your opinions.

Dave, with all the talk about poor tire milage I gotta say the Avon Storms on Nubb have been great. My front is showing wear bars after almost 14K, honest, no lie. Most on interstate going back and forth to work. Rear has 7K now and I'll bet it gets at least another 3K. However, I may change both of them at the same time. Weeeee!!

I've been impressed with the performance as well, fantastic in the twisties and rain. I'm sticking with them. thumbsup.gif

I am not an agressive rider, though I am no sloth either. I ride at about the same rate as you. I love Conti Road Attacks - they suit the RT perfectly and IMHO are the best tyres I have ever used. The biggest plus to me is their wet grip.

In the UK they have the added advantage of costing 2/3 of other brands.

I run Conti's recomended pressures, 36F 42R, and that seems to give optimal wear. That said any rear tyre will wear more in the middle than the edges. Most wear occurs during acceleration and braking, which is done upright. More tyre life comes from gentle acceleration and braking.

Andy

Dave, I ran the 880's also and the noise is why I took mine off as well. They do give the best mileage. I have mounted two sets of Road Attacks for a riding buddy. He got 7400 miles out of the first set, looks like the same for this set. I don't have a bad thing to say about them. Mileage is as good as most other sport tires, and I know from both of us riding in the rain that they seem to give confidence inspiring grip. Ride is better than the 880's also. They may well be on my RT in a short while as well!

daveinatlanta
That said any rear tyre will wear more in the middle than the edges.More tyre life comes from gentle acceleration and braking.

Thx Andy for the comments. Interesting that for both sets of tires, the fronts have worn more in the middle than the backs. In fact the back seems to have retained a much better profile and, on my current set, both tires were installed at the same time.confused.gif

As for accel and braking, I'm pretty easy on both.

Hey Dave,

A month ago I was in the same position as you. My Z6s wore too fast and I was undecided on what to switch to. After some research I mounted up a set of Road Attacks. It is still not riding weather here but everything I've read indicates the Contis are a good choice for the RT.

I am not an aggressive rider, though I am no sloth either. I ride at about the same rate as you. I love Conti Road Attacks - they suit the RT perfectly and IMHO are the best tyres I have ever used. The biggest plus to me is their wet grip.

In the UK they have the added advantage of costing 2/3 of other brands.

I run Conti's recomended pressures, 36F 42R, and that seems to give optimal wear. That said any rear tyre will wear more in the middle than the edges. Most wear occurs during acceleration and braking, which is done upright. More tyre life comes from gentle acceleration and braking.

Andy

I agree,one of the best tires I've had.

I've gone through two sets of the conti's and I have liked the tire quite a bit. I always have cupping problems on the front though. In fact I just switched to the 880's a week or so ago. No chance to ride them yet here in Iowa with all the rotten weather we've been getting. I've averaged about 6K miles per set for the conti's.

Hey Dave,

Love RA's. They make my 1100rs feel 100 lbs. lighter. Comfortable tire and very good grip. I get about 5500 miles of lightly aggressive riding from a set. Will order my 4th set soon.

Another vote of confidence for the Conti's; as with Andy, I also run at 36F/42R & liked them enough to buy a sdecond set when eventually required. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...
daveinatlanta

Just got home from the first ride with the Conti Road Attack. Because they are new, I rode conservatively and, with only 35 miles on them, it is far too early to render an objective opinion. But I think I'll like them.

As info. the tires they replaced are Metz ME880s. I can attest to their long life. They had 8100 miles on them, even wear (except for the slightly flat ring on the front) had no wear bars showing and I'd guess they had at least 1/3 of the tread left. Randy (on the board here) estimated easily another 1500 miles left on them - so perhaps I had a 10,000 mile tire. The only reason I changed them was to get rid of the noise upon turning. So, from a tire-life perspective, I'm a happy Metz ME 880 customer.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Dave, I think I ride about the same as you. I put on Conti RA and liked them a lot. However, I only got 7900 out of the rear and will get about 9,000 out of the front. I decided to go to Michelin PS2 to see if I can get better mileage. I'm not sure if the extra mileage will be worth the extra cost, however. Loved the way the Conti's handled.

Yes, the Conti's do not seem to get as great a mileage as some of the other tires, but I will say, the Conti's seem to handle very well in the mountains, and I do love the Conti's wet weather handling. I commute everyday, and I do get caught in occassional rain storms, and the confidence I have in the Conti's is nice. However I do run the Power Roads on my wife's FJR, and they get great mileage and handle almost as well as the conti's

It really seems most all tires are pretty good now.

Archived