IGNORED

RT face lift

HuskyMick

How long do you think it will be before the RT is given a face lift, the GS has just had one of sorts but no changes for the RT this year !!

Could it be replaced with a new model next year ?

What do you think ????

If history is any indicator, and it may not be, BMW is trying to change its image on a lot of fronts, 4-5 years without a change is common. The R1200GS stayed the same '04 - '07 (EU model years)and the '08 changes are mostly cosmetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the 11xxRT generation... visually there weren't much differences for almost 10 years... other than a headlight and wheel style change...

KiwiAdventure
If history is any indicator, and it may not be, BMW is trying to change its image on a lot of fronts, 4-5 years without a change is common. The R1200GS stayed the same '04 - '07 (EU model years)and the '08 changes are mostly cosmetic.

A new engine is not cosmetic plus a list of major changes. The 08 gs is a new model. Rt will be next

The 1100RT was not changed for 7 years ('95-2001). In 2002 the 1150RT was introduced. Then the 1150 lasted for 3 more years with about 300 1150 RT's being produced in 2005. The 1200 model started showing up in May or so of 2005. So you are looking at an 10 year span with not many changes to the overall bike.

Engine - I'm hoping for the single-spark, radial valve, OHC heads from the HP2 Sport on the 'next-generation' RT. A bit more power and torque. Maybe longer adjustment intervals too.

Ergos - Better screen. Maybe a factory tall screen option like the K1200GT. Better seats. More adjustability.

Electrics - Easier power take-off for accessories.

Otherwise, I can't think of much else I'd change from my 2006 RT!! thumbsup.gif

The 1100RT was not changed for 7 years ('95-2001). In 2002 the 1150RT was introduced. Then the 1150 lasted for 3 more years with about 300 1150 RT's being produced in 2005. The 1200 model started showing up in May or so of 2005. So you are looking at an 10 year span with not many changes to the overall bike.

Hasn't BMW been trying to shed it's image as the brand for old farts. Maybe more frequent model changes (cosmetic or otherwise) will be part of this stradegy.

As far as face lifts, (personal opinion here) the sooner the better. I bought my RT for what it does, in spite of the styling. To my eye, it looks like it was designed by people who grew up playing with Trans-Formers. "Disharmonious" and "inelegant" are two words that come to mind. The previous 1100s & 1150s were far easier on the eye, but you can't argue with the mechanical improvements on the 1200s. If you see someone who's wearing a Groucho mask (with a big grin under the mustache) while riding a silver '07, that would be me...

As far as face lifts, (personal opinion here) the sooner the better. I bought my RT for what it does, in spite of the styling. To my eye, it looks like it was designed by people who grew up playing with Trans-Formers. "Disharmonious" and "inelegant" are two words that come to mind. The previous 1100s & 1150s were far easier on the eye, but you can't argue with the mechanical improvements on the 1200s. If you see someone who's wearing a Groucho mask (with a big grin under the mustache) while riding a silver '07, that would be me...

I'll never understand how someone can think that bulbous 1150 RT looks better than the 1200. confused.gif To each their own!

I'll never understand how someone can think that bulbous 1150 RT looks better than the 1200.
Maybe you mean that you'll never understand how so many people can think that bulbous 1150 RT looks better than the 1200. grin.gif
]Maybe you mean that you'll never understand how so many people can think that bulbous 1150 RT looks better than the 1200. grin.gif

I had the 1100RT, the 1150RT and now the 1200RT and honestly, I get way more compliments on the 1200 from the general public than I ever got with the old RTs combined. Go figure.

+1 regarding the compliments on the 1200. I only rode the 1150 for 6 months. I had a lot of comments on the K1100RS as well.

HairyCannonball

I get positive comments on my R12RT also, for some reason usually from elderly females. Usually something to the effect of, :gee thats a pretty motorcycle you have there young man, and so quiet" Lol..makes me feel great, not often I get called a young man anymore.

FWIW I thought the R12RT was homely when I bought it too. Was all set to get a nice R1150 they still had on the floor, then I rode the R12. Took less than 5 minutes of riding to make me write a much bigger check.

I'll never understand how someone can think that bulbous 1150 RT looks better than the 1200. confused.gif To each their own!

Agreed. I find the 1200 to be the better-looking bike.

I feel the bike looks OK. But there are 2 areas that should be addressed.

Mirrors, You cannot see directly behind the bike. Sure you can add mirrors to the handlbars but for a bike like this you should not have to.

Second, the seat. I can hardly stand it for 2 hours. Again there are fixes but really should you have to spend money to fix it?

Mirrors, You cannot see directly behind the bike. Sure you can add mirrors to the handlbars but for a bike like this you should not have to.

Second, the seat. I can hardly stand it for 2 hours. Again there are fixes but really should you have to spend money to fix it?

I have my mirrors setup so that they see pretty much straight back. I can see cars coming up from behind very easily. I use the small circular adjustable spot mirrors mounted in the upper inside corner of each mirror. These work well for seeing to the sides and this space in the mirror generally just shows my hands anyway.

As for the seat, the 1100 and the 1150 aren't any better. bncry.gif See all the threads about after market.

I am OK with the mirrors. Three areas that should be addressed regarding the RT are as follows: Suspension-upgrade to Ohlins or Wilber's, seat, and the windscreen. Most of us have had to made these changes to make the RT handle well and comfortable.

I would add the following:

- lit controls - similar to the cruise control light but in orange similar to the dash

- indicator light for kick stand down and locked (don't ask)

- a non-CANBus controlled socket

I would add the following:

- lit controls - similar to the cruise control light but in orange similar to the dash

Ugghhh!!! The orange dash lighting is the first thing I'd want changed. I prefer Audi's white face w/red needles.

Archived