IGNORED

2005 RT vs. 2008 RT

Tizone

Hi everyone! I have a line on a great 2005 RT that is virtually new. I was wondering what the major differences between the 05's and 08's are. This is going to be my 1st BMW so I am not up on all of the additions/improvements/changes over the past few years.

Is there anything on the 08 that I would be sorry about passing up if I went for a beautiful 05?

Thanks!

There are a few differences that may or may not be important to you.

Some additional options like tire pressure monitoring and ASC on 07-08. Slightly better details in straps inside the side cases.

Red was only available in 05-06 so an 07-08 would have to be completely repainted. wave.gif

Servo brake assist on 05-06 and not on 07-08. I would probably prefer non servo but have ridden my 05 RT in the C group in a track event and then immediately gone out in B group on non servo (and non ABS) Boxer Cup and not found it to be important. I could see many people preferring servo since a normal stop takes one finger instead of two. DO NOT confuse the servo on earlier RT with the system on 05-06 RT as they feel quite different. Also the brake linking is done properly (my opinion) on both unlike some earlier BMWs. The servo suits the 05-06 RT better than it would on say a GS.

They are a wonderful bike and an almost new 2005 RT is going to be a great bike for a reasonable cost compared to a new one. If it is your first BMW, I would think the few differences would be completely insignificant. They are small to a nitpicking perfectionist like me.

I agree with Greg's remarks and would add a couple of observations:

The '05 & early '06 models had the superior dual horns, but there was a problem with the on board computer's oil warning - which was normally remedied under warranty. Will the '05 have a warranty and is it red?

Tom

The only real difference are the servo brakes on the 05-06 bikes. I just got an 06, coming off a 2000 RT. I don't have any issue with the servo brakes, but the money I saved vs. new was a big difference. Get the 05 if an RT is what you want. thumbsup.gif Oh yea, and like Tom said, the load horn is really nice.

You might also consider that the 08 will have a 3-year warranty and the 05 no warranty (factory anyways). I have had an 05GS and an 07RT hexhead. I much prefer the braking system of the 07 -- others may not.

T.

You did not mention mileage so I will assume less than 5K miles. Winter 2007 NADA value on an 05 RT is $14K. Since it is 2008 it has probably dropped in value even more. People have already mentioned the servo vs. non servo brakes. If you are nervous about the warranty buy and extended warranty for about $800. Since there is very little difference and you state the 05 is virtually new it sounds like a no brainer to me not to buy the 05 and save yourself about $5K. The bike your describe is what I look for in a pre-owned bike except I buy them with more warranty on them but that is a timing thing. I have purchased 3 BMW's in 15 years and saved about $15K by buying excellent condition, low mileage, pre-owned bikes. I love a great deal so new does not matter to me in the least. If something is wrong with the bike and it is under warranty it will be repaired. If anything is going to happen to the bike warranty wise it will happen in the 3yr./36K mile warranty period. Good luck with your purchase decision.

T.

You did not mention mileage so I will assume less than 5K miles. Winter 2007 NADA value on an 05 RT is $14K. Since it is 2008 it has probably dropped in value even more. People have already mentioned the servo vs. non servo brakes. If you are nervous about the warranty buy and extended warranty for about $800. Since there is very little difference and you state the 05 is virtually new it sounds like a no brainer to me not to buy the 05 and save yourself about $5K. The bike your describe is what I look for in a pre-owned bike except I buy them with more warranty on them but that is a timing thing. I have purchased 3 BMW's in 15 years and saved about $15K by buying excellent condition, low mileage, pre-owned bikes. I love a great deal so new does not matter to me in the least. If something is wrong with the bike and it is under warranty it will be repaired. If anything is going to happen to the bike warranty wise it will happen in the 3yr./36K mile warranty period. Good luck with your purchase decision.

Its funny... the Kelley BB values lists avg retail at $14,500 while the NADA says $12,500. Thats quite a difference.

T.

I got my figure from the Motocycle Consumer News Winter 2007 edition which was about Sept./Oct. so it does not surprise me the figure you have is lower. KBB is geared toward the dealer side of the equation hence the higher value. I am not getting MCN now so I have not seen any new figures in over 6 months. What I can say to you is KBB value for a bike will always be higher that NADA. Dealers give you NADA trade in value which is low of course and sell on KBB value. Go figure right? Most people I know looking at value of a bike go to NADA value. If you get the bike you referred to for $12.5K that is a total no brainer. That is a savings of about $6.5K on out the door pricing of a new BMW when you add in sales tax of 7.75% to each bike.

T.

I got my figure from the Motocycle Consumer News Winter 2007 edition which was about Sept./Oct. so it does not surprise me the figure you have is lower. KBB is geared toward the dealer side of the equation hence the higher value. I am not getting MCN now so I have not seen any new figures in over 6 months. What I can say to you is KBB value for a bike will always be higher that NADA. Dealers give you NADA trade in value which is low of course and sell on KBB value. Go figure right? Most people I know looking at value of a bike go to NADA value. If you get the bike you referred to for $12.5K that is a total no brainer. That is a savings of about $6.5K on out the door pricing of a new BMW when you add in sales tax of 7.75% to each bike.

It is a Piedmont Red RT with heated seats, grips, cruise, ... not sure about ESA yet... no radio...not sure about security yet...

Less than 1,000 miles.... a few small nicks & scratches... (garage rash-never dropped or crashed)

$11,500. Seems like a great deal. I just don't want to buy it and find out that there is a bunch of 'gotta have' stuff on an 08.

Decisions decisions....

It is a Piedmont Red RT with heated seats, grips, cruise, ... not sure about ESA yet... no radio...not sure about security yet...

Less than 1,000 miles.... a few small nicks & scratches... (garage rash-never dropped or crashed)

$11,500. Seems like a great deal. I just don't want to buy it and find out that there is a bunch of 'gotta have' stuff on an 08.

Decisions decisions....

I bought a used '06 last spring for a good deal and I love it and ride it almost every day. That said, I would NOT buy another RT with servo brakes. They are not bad brakes (they are excellent), they are just annoying and noisy and unnecessarily complex -- which is why BMW dumped them.

The reviews I read indicated that you don't get much out of the brakes until you start the engine. So if you are moving around in the parking lot, or moving it around in your garage without engine on, you may not have much braking available. Is that true? If so, that would be a drawback of the '05-'06 models.

I just don't want to buy it and find out that there is a bunch of 'gotta have' stuff on an 08.

IMHO, the "gotta have" stuff will be a couple of after-market items, regardless of year model. My suggestions to consider: An aftermarket seat (a GOOD one) and possibly an aftermarket windshield. Those two things top my list of what I'm glad I put on my RT ('05).

Less than 1,000 miles....

Something to think about here, you'll be riding a virtually new bike with less than one year of warranty on it (being an '05). You may want to consider spending some of the $$ you retained via your good deal and shop for an extended warranty. There are several threads here on the subject, including one I just looked at in the Bike Related Things forum. Something to think about.

Oh yeah...and I love the horn on my '05. (It's like a push-button cat remover.)

In my experience this is not the case. The brakes work pretty well without power, it just requires a harder squeeze.

The reviews I read indicated that you don't get much out of the brakes until you start the engine. So if you are moving around in the parking lot, or moving it around in your garage without engine on, you may not have much braking available. Is that true? If so, that would be a drawback of the '05-'06 models.
I just don't want to buy it and find out that there is a bunch of 'gotta have' stuff on an 08.

IMHO, the "gotta have" stuff will be a couple of after-market items, regardless of year model. My suggestions to consider: An aftermarket seat (a GOOD one) and possibly an aftermarket windshield. Those two things top my list of what I'm glad I put on my RT ('05).

you're not kidding. the stock seat and windshield are crappy for someone 5'10" or taller driving any considerable distance. other that these items BMW has been very good to me. I am on my third one now.

In my experience this is not the case. The brakes work pretty well without power, it just requires a harder squeeze.

Agreed. Braking while pushing the bike around without power is not an problem. It works fine but takes a firmer squeeze (and actually is more easily modulated without power).

I have an 05 R1200RT and have never had any problem with lack of braking without the engine running, even on the down slope of my driveway. And I regularly (daily commute) move the bike around on the driveway without the motor running.

The R1200RT is so good, it seems people have to make up things in order to write about any faults. IMHO

The brake servo is electric so it has more brake assist when the key is on. With the key off you can still back it down a steep trailer ramp and stop it with two fingers on the front but I can't imagine why anyone would not turn the key on.

A 2005 with 1000 miles on it for $11500 sounds like a deal. Its a deal even with 10,000 miles on it.

Archived