IGNORED

What's next?

AZKomet

After reading all of this years m/c rags that flood my door each month I am seeing a common thread in most, if not all of them. It seems that they are focusing on "concept" models for the upcoming years. And if not that, the bikes of the near future to include a diesel KLR 650 and an automatic GW for 2010. Nothing on BMW that I have seen so far.

I am in the itch for a new machine and have even went so far as going to the Kaw dealer with the intent of buying the new Concours. As luck would have it they were out and I refused to put down a deposit to "hold" one for me. Went thru that with the FJR...never again. Even considered a new GT...can't get past the 21K though....

So my question is what will the future hold for us in terms of new machines? 2010 is not that far off. New emission standards, new technology and even the thought of record high prices for fuel has got me thinking. So what about the crew, any thoughts on the matter? Any "inside" intell you want to share? confused.gif

I have to think fuel economy will play a more important roll. BMW is doing pretty well already. I understand the K1200LT is getting close to 50, vs the Goldwing's 37-40. The K12GT can get 45 + vs the Concours' 38. And we all know about the F 650s and F800's 50+ mpg.

BTW I wasn't in position to spend $20K+ on a new GT and almost bought the new Connie. Someone pointed out a used 2007 with 5K on the IBMWR classifieds. I bought it saving thousands and couldn't be happier!

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, Honda has promised us "bold new graphics".

I love my Blackbird and wish Honda hadn't dropped it from their US lineup in 2004. They still offer the VFR which is a wonderful sport touring bike and, when my 'bird finally goes to the big boneyard in the sky, I'll probably get one. The ST just doesn't appeal nor does a Gold Wing.

I predict smaller bikes, at least engine wise. When I first started riding, a 650 with about 40HP was considered a "big" bike and not for the new rider. We ran all over the country on them and there really wasn't much complaining about performance.

I doubt there will be many air cooled bikes left. Noise requirements will hurt them too much. We'll see a lot more EFI on even the smaller bikes and, if our economy continues to tank, expect a hefty price increase as well.

Smaller engines? That is my thought...the BMW 800 (an engine to love) is an exceptional design in my book. Fast, smooth and hopefully reliable. Possibly that is the new direction, smaller. I have seen a few electric ones that are being considered in the U.S. market but have yet to make the grade.

Personal opinion, I think the diesel KLR is the true trend setter. There is a still silly stigma against diesel vehicles in the USA, but the rest of the world by-and-large embraces them. There will be more of a move of that technology into bikes for reliability and economy.

Personal opinion, I think the diesel KLR is the true trend setter. There is a still silly stigma against diesel vehicles in the USA, but the rest of the world by-and-large embraces them. There will be more of a move of that technology into bikes for reliability and economy.

If BMW brought out a common rail turbo diesel RT I would buy one in a heartbeat. It should be a snap to make a bike like that return 100mpg (imperial) / 80mpg (US).

Andy

Dave, I think you will see a lot of new technology phased in over the next 10 years or so (both motorcycles & automobiles)..

The new high tec electronic injection diesels are good as far as existing technology goes but have some limitations as far as shake,, noise,, weight,, emissions,, & complexity..

Based on what I have seen in the future automobile wise I would be willing to bet there will be some derivatives of electric or fuel cell motorcycles (there are even people racing electric motorcycles now)..

My guess (based on automotive experience) is you will see some near future spark ignition direct injection high pressure fuel injection systems on motorcycles,, extremely variable valve timing,, low pumping loss intake systems,, CVT transmissions,, maybe even some regenerative braking systems,, probably more use of turbos or blowers on smaller displacement engines..

Twisty

I see a difference in the aimed at demographics. The advertising and models have been aimed at mid-life crisis, go fast while looking cool, and disposable income luxury riders.

The future emphasis may be on practical, commuter, and reliable bikes. As the mid-life crisis guys get a little older, there will be a larger market for easier to ride bikes. Look at how sexy they're making the new scooters to eliminate the woosie factor. So, more automatics, even lower center of gravity, reverses, wind protection, and maybe more wheels for balancing.

As hybrid and electric cars increase, the motorcycle industry will have to do something about fuel economy. They will have lost the primary rational reason for existing if they don't.

So what I see is a 250cc turbo Bergman with either ape hangers and highway pegs or clip on bars and a raised pillion cushion so it won't look like a mini-van.

baggerchris

The Honda DN-01 is almost a reality with a CVT tranny; two modes of auto, plus one 6 speed man. mode. Yamaha will come out with a new VMax; Harley hopefully will come out with a sporttouring Vrod; and Honda probably has more up it's sleeve because both the Goldwing and ST 1300 are long in the tooth. Suzuki will probably update its Vstrom; Triumph will come out with it's twin based on 2/3rds of the big 3 cylinder cruizer with maybe 1500 CC;s. I think the future is bright until the oil runs out. I think the cvt tranny will become big.

Smaller engines, greater emphasis on fuel economy, CVT transmissions, phasing out of carbed bikes in favor of EFI, and a significant increase in market share of scooters and maxi-scooters. If fuel prices continue to soar (which is pretty much a given), greater use of bikes and scooters as practical transportation devices to commute and run errands on.

If BMW develops a diesel engine that is as reliable as their diesel car engines and gets ungodly fuel mileage then sign me up. I can just see a diesel engine powered RT. Looks like any other RT and with a subtle engine knock except it will still have the same old unbearable seat design. grin.gif

If BMW develops a diesel engine that is as reliable as their diesel car engines and gets ungodly fuel mileage then sign me up. I can just see a diesel engine powered RT. Looks like any other RT and with a subtle engine knock except it will still have the same old unbearable seat design. grin.gif

At least it'll have a better excuse to shake and rattle at idle then! lmao.gif

Yes, but modern diesels don't. I have just driven home in an 08 Passat diesel automatic rental that I only knew was a diesel because of the big labels telling me about it. No noise, no rattling and an abundance of power and torque. Oh, and 40mpg US.

Translate that to a bike and you have a winner.

Do it have to be a Opposed twin diesel? The vetrtical twin 800 as a Diesel would be loverly too. Going across Texas on one tank of fuel so I don't have to stop would be a real plus! clap.gif

Yes, but modern diesels don't.
My point. And even Twisty inadvertently above re-stated a lot of the misconceptions and prejudices against diesels in the USA. People are still remembering 1970's attempts at diesel cars and all that mess. Whereas the ensuing 30 years of advances have created diesel cars operationally indistinguishable from gasoline powered ones. Except better mileage, longer service intervals and longer engine life that is. To say nothing of less cost per gallon to produce diesel vs. gasoline.
Yes, but modern diesels don't.
My point. And even Twisty inadvertently above re-stated a lot of the misconceptions and prejudices against diesels in the USA. People are still remembering 1970's attempts at diesel cars and all that mess. Whereas the ensuing 30 years of advances have created diesel cars operationally indistinguishable from gasoline powered ones. Except better mileage, longer service intervals and longer engine life that is. To say nothing of less cost per gallon to produce diesel vs. gasoline.

But to say something about the cost of diesel at the pump makes it more interesting. Truckers are being charged out the wazoo (whatever the market will bear I guess). Diesel price used to reflect lower mfg costs, not any more.

Yes, but modern diesels don't. I have just driven home in an 08 Passat diesel automatic rental that I only knew was a diesel because of the big labels telling me about it. No noise, no rattling and an abundance of power and torque. Oh, and 40mpg US.

Translate that to a bike and you have a winner.

I agree with that!! I just read that VW has a Hybrid Diesel Golf with a whopping claim of 69.9 MPG!! Bring on a bike with that kind of mileage (HP v. weight) and it will no doubt sell.

Diesel price used to reflect lower mfg costs, not any more.
From the eia web site, cost components:

Diesel

Crude oil - 62%

Refining cost - 15%

Distribution & Marketing - 9%

Taxes - 14%

Gasoline

Crude oil - 68%

Refining cost - 8%

Distribution & Marketing - 11%

Taxes - 14%

Archived