IGNORED

Anyone wear leather in the summer?

KentuckyBlue

KentuckyBlue

Interested in knowing if any riders wear leather (jacket, pants, chaps, etc.) in hot weather. If so, what have you been happy with? thanks

Ray

Interested in knowing if any riders wear leather (jacket, pants, chaps, etc.) in hot weather. If so, what have you been happy with? thanks

Ray

Ray, I sometimes wear leather chaps in the summer on cool mornings.. I like them as they are real easy to remove & stuff in a panier as the day warms up..

The same on the return trip late at night.. If the weather changes & gets colder at night,, chaps can go on real easy at the side of the road with little hassle & dancing..

Twisty

Not since I've been in the Sacramento area, temps get above 100F often during the summer. Vanson has some nice perferated leathers that look nice but I've never tried them. As for me, the BMW Airflow suit works just fine with just slight less abrasion protection than leather but oh so much cooler.

thumbsup.gif

Yes, at one time.

Hot.

Now (past 10-12 years) the choices in other materials sends me in the textile direction.

However, there are vented, perforated leather jackets around that are very nice.

Vanson is/was one popular make.

A review.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/leather-motorcycle-jacket/mens-vented-jacket/

A Vanson source

http://www.motorcycleleatherexchange.com/new_vanson_jackets.html

A lot depends on speed. I've worn a relatively light weight leather jacket that's about 30 years old and been comfortable about town. Took a trip from Washington to Phoenix last July and wore a heavy jacket and was supprisingly comfortable at speed and I didn't get dehydrated at all. That being said, I haven't tried the textile type jackets for comparison.

Paul Mihalka

I'm comfortable year-round in leather pants. I wear them as pants, not over-pants. For summer regular jean styles, for cool weather heavier. I found that in real hot weather light stuff is not good. I feel I need insulation from hot air above the hot road added with heat of the motor.

Took a 5 day trip to the Rocket City Rally (Huntsville Ala.) 2 years ago in full leathers drove past a bank clock registering 103 degrees...Hot yes...Unbearable...No.

Until about 3 years ago when I got my first 'Stitch', I wore leathers all the time. Had a set of Vetter Bib pants and a jacket that matched. Also had a set of Hien Gerik Dakar pants and jacket. Wore them in Freezing and boiling. Works well both ways. I used thermal silks as undies and turtle neck cotton shirts.

Now I have sythetics, Darien sset and a 2 piece Roadcrafter. Also have a BMW Savanna II jacket and cordura pants by Belstaff. What to wear, what to wear, decisions, decisions! dopeslap.gif

There is so much good stuff out there it's all a matter of what you prefer to be seen in! wave.gif

I wouldn't do the chaps unless you're going Blair Hollywood!

Land on your bootie and youse got road rash on the unprotected areas. Kida like wearing a beenie helmet, what's the point?

Spent tons of money on leather trying to be comfertable in all seasons and ended up going the textile route for the main reasons of weather-proofing (cold/wet), temperature control (gerbing liners for cold; vented for summer, and hightened visibility (reflective piping etc.).

For the dollar value (IMO) leather is not a good investment - textile does more for less (per $) and is more versatle and adaptable.

In the summer i have vented pants and jacket and can easily regulate temperature.

Luis

Depends. I have an Airflow 2 suit (and Airflow boots) I wear when it's really hot out. At other times (like an early morning ride or a cooler/drier day) I wear my BMW 'Reflect' black leather suit.

I normally wear a one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter on my BMW but on hot days (I mean really hot and high humidity) I wear a SPIDI vented leather jacket with perforations. I carry a lightweight Spyke rainsuit in my top case in case of rain.

If I'm riding my Triumph, I have two piece Spyke leathers, Spkye gloves, Gaerne Boots regardless of the weather. Boy racer style. If it's too hot or too cold, I don't ride that bike. For in between weather I have a Boure thermal one piece bicycle racing suit which goes under the leathers. Nice and snug.

Linz smile.gif

When I started riding in 2001, I picked up a nice perforated leather jacket for summer riding in Texas. After repeatedly sweating my arse off during that summer, I picked up a textile mesh jacket. Aaaah, NOW we're talkin' cool.gif Textile mesh (with extra armor) has been my summer choice ever since... Just bought a Motoport Kevlar air mesh last month... thumbsup.gif

Leather whenever I can. I'm on Coumadin blood thinner & probably shouldn't be riding, but these precautions are my rebuttal to my MD.

AdventurePoser

Ray

Isn't the diversity of responses interesting? thumbsup.gif

In the summeer I wear leather First Gear pants with a mesh jacket. Very comfortable! Much cooler than my one piece Aerostich....I find the leather breathes, and keeps me more comfy.

85171674_TtgG4-M.jpg

Of course, all bets are off whin it's 95+ and stop and go traffic! dopeslap.gif

Steve in So Cal

Archived