IGNORED

A few questions about the Nolan N102

eddd

I've been looking at the purchase of a Nolan N102 (only have one head, but I seem to NEED 3 or 4 helmets). Great deal can be had right now for a yellow, my preferred color...$219.00 shipped. I’ve read the webBikeworld review, and posts I found through a search on this board, but I’m looking for any new information /opinions.

Anyway, to my questions:

1. How are they in the heat, as in really hot weather?

2. Can you lift the shield a notch or so and ride with it there?

3. I like the idea of the VSP (sun shade), but am concerned that it only covers halfway. Do you find it is ever in your line of vision? Any other negatives with the VSP?

4. Any other pluses or minuses? Other comments?

Thanks for taking time to answer.

I can only answer the question about the sunshade as I have a Schubert COncept and a Caberg Justisimo, both of which have similar shades. They do a good job of keeping the sun out of youe eyes, whilst giving an uninterupted view of the instruments.

Andy

1. How are they in the heat, as in really hot weather?_____

___Mine is fairly hot in hot weather or riding slow in congested traffic.. I do open the chin piece at stops or slow riding in hot weather as that does help.. It is hot enough inside that I usually don’t use the Nolan in real hot weather unless I expect heavy rain..

2. Can you lift the shield a notch or so and ride with it there?____

___ Yes, & I usually ride that way.. It is great in cold damp weather as you can open it just enough to keep it from fogging.. I usually ride with it open a notch or two (except at very high speeds)

3. I like the idea of the VSP (sun shade), but am concerned that it only covers halfway. Do you find it is ever in your line of vision? Any other negatives with the VSP?____

___ Yes & no.. It works pretty good most of the time but has caused problems if wearing sun glasses & it comes down.. I have had mine blow down in front of my eyes a few times at VERY high SPEEDS (like 120-130mph) If it is at night or you have sun glasses on it can an eye opener & a heart test.. Otherwise it seems to work pretty good.. Mine does flutter at times (usually at those very same high speeds).. To tell you the truth I like the 102 helmet better without that VSP system.. On my older 100E I just used a sun shield strip inside the top of the visor & really liked that..

4. Any other pluses or minuses? Other comments?___

___Pretty good helmet,, great in changing weather,, my favorite helmet for cold mornings warm afternoon commuting,, somewhat good in the rain,, NOISIER than I like (no better than my older Nolan 100E,, a good all around helmet that does most things good but some could be better..

Twisty

Dave_zoom_zoom

Sorry I can't answer your questions. I also look forward to the replys from "those who know".

Can you share where you found the good price?

Thanks!

Dave

I'll add my 02 cents since I've had my N102 for a little over a year now. In the heat there are vents but they truthfully don't flow much air. Not horrible but probably could be better. The face shield has several detent positions and works quite well. I normally ride in the first or second open position. The sun shade is a mixed bag. I like it since it's almost like having a visor like you do in your car. A little glare and you pop it down. The down side is, you can only use it when the face shield is in the closed position. For me it limits it a bit but still I like it. I find mine to be quite comfortable and wouldn't hesitate to go for another one.

Sorry I can't answer your questions. I also look forward to the replys from "those who know".

Can you share where you found the good price?

Thanks!

Dave

They are available here.

Large and extra large only and in only some solid colors.

I got mine 3 months ago, replacing a aging BMW 4EVO helmet.

no hot weather experience yet. The VPS is a gimmick, far as i'm concerned, especially since it only works with the visor closed. I really love the internal ones of say a schuberth concept, but this doesn't cut it. Luckily, you can remove it and use the helmet without it, so it is not a dealbreaker.

apart from the VPS, I reallly like it and would get another one

As others have said, the visor can be left partially open. The visor doesn't go all of the way down then. The vents don't seem to pass a lot of air, although I can feel the air movement in cool weather. As a glasses wearer, I like the flip helmet. I think it is noisier than a fixed chin helmet. Easy to put Autocom speakers into, but tougher to keep the microphone from flopping around. I'd buy another, though.

I would pretty much echo the others. The clear shield detentes are one of the best I've had, it will stay open in most any position.

The VSP is OK, but I too have had it blow down unexpectedly, and not at excessive speeds either, at 70 MPH even. When down I don't find the bottom edge of it to be in my line of sight though.

Airflow wise I don't find it any better or worse than other helmets I have.

Like a lot of modulars also it has limited chin space, so if you have a longer chin, it's something to think about.

The quick release buckle is great!

Noise wise all modules seem a bit worse, I'd put the 102 about middle of the pack.

If it was me buying a new one (again) I'd take a close look at the new HJC Sy-MAX II with an internal sunshade. Can be used independently of the clear shield.

Oh, I forgot, the Pinlock brand anti-fog insert that comes with it works great!

But you can add them to other shields too with a bit of work.

Just got mine a few weeks back and haven't had much opportunity to use it, however from the few chances I have had to use it I would say the following...

1. I would love to know! OH is too cold this time of year, anyone in FL want to host me so I can test this for eddd?

2. Yep, as been indicated. There are several stops, the lowest leaving the shield just barely open, enough for air but not much room for bugs smile.gif

3. The sun shade is good for limited use. It sits at a good level when looking forward, I don't care for how it crosses in my peripheral vision. I have a 35 minute commute and leave at dawn when it isn't light enough for sunglasses. The first 20 miles are southbound. The sunshade is very handy to flip down when making the curve for the final 10 eastbound miles. If riding during the day with strong sun I would still opt for sunglasses.

4. Overall very happy. The ski boot like quick release is handy and can be engaged/disengaged while wearing gloves. The fog prevention works great, I would buy the helmet again for that.

Archived