IGNORED

Clicking in intercom

AndyS

Yesterday, I had just completed a 150 mile trip with no lights on (or other extra loads). I topped up with fuel and as I pulled away I noticed that the clock had reset to 00.00.

I have just started noticing a new noise in the intercom.

As the bike comes to a slow speed manouver, where the engine speed drops, I notice clicking in the earpieces that sounds like switching contacts. Could this be indicative of pending battery failure or alternator switching charging patterns?

Any thoughts??

Andy

Andy,

this could be one of several things, the most likely in my opinion being either corroded battery connections, giving a high-resistance connection or a battery at the end of its useful life. Either of these gives a high-resistance path to ground causing a higher volts drop at startup, leading to the clock reset, and allowing voltage spikes to develop giving the clicking in the intercom.

So the first thing to check is the battery connections - clean them up and re-attach.

One question - how old is the battery and what type is it?

Andy

One question - how old is the battery and what type is it?

Hi Andy,

At lunchtime I just had a quick peek under the seat, It is the original BMW battery.

The bike was bought new in September 2003.

Andy

I would go for an AGM replacement - mine got swapped for a Power Sonic PS-12170 computer standby AGM battery. Much cheaper than an automotive market battery.

Did you get yours on-line?

The terminal posts look as though the terminal post mounts are vertical as opposed to the stock horizontal - is this correct.

Also isn't this batter just a 'normal' sealed lead acid as opposed to AGM?

Andy

I just noticed I gave the wrong number - it is a PS12180, an 18AH battery.

It is an AGM - the term VRLA stands for valve-regulated lead-acid and applies to all sealed batteries. I bought mine online - From Here. The battery can be used in any position except continuous inverted - short-term inverted is OK!

This thread details the install. Note: you don't notice the colour scheme once installed grin.gif

Andy

I have the battery currently stewing slowly on an Optimate. I will see if this causes the symptoms to dissapear (briefly if the battery is on its last legs).

Thanks for the heads up on the battery. I think for the cost, it may well be Battery Masters for a PS-12180-B at £36 or there abouts.

I shall possibly machine up a pair of battery post adaptors in readiness for the inevitable failure of the BMW battery.

As an aside, I may also whip out the original battery and have a capacity test done on it.

Cheers

Andy

Archived