IGNORED

Riding instructors -- what made you do it?

oandaer

I know that there are a lot of members here who teach people how to ride or ride better. To those individulas, I am curious at what point in your riding career did you decide to become and instructor and why.

I was just doing lots of schools and track days and one of the staff asked me if I had ever considered it. Up until that point it had never occurred to me, frankly, but when the possibility opened up in my mind, I considered it a challenge. An obstacle to overcome. I don't know what it's like at other schools, but the one I help with has a very intense qualification path, followed by a similar training path.

The twin reasons why it even interests me are these: a love of riding and a love of teaching. I can almost get emotional when I see the light come on in someone's eyes, or see them do something that just hours ago seemed out of reach for them.

The flip side is that those two things had better be powerful, because it's a lot of work (mental and physical) and big chunks of it are not any fun at all. tongue.gif

I had been riding for about 15 years before I decided to instruct. What made me want to do it is the value I saw in instructing new rider friends of mine. I just do it part time on weekends - I don't do it for a living.

I have been riding for many many years on and off, when I came back to it the last time after a few years away. I was near retirement and looking for something to do that I enjoyed. If you are interested in it, do it because you love to ride and enjoy working with folks who want to learn. It takes a lot of effort and dedication. If you are in it for the wrong reasons, money, ego, you won't last long. It is very rewarding in other ways. If you decide to get into it be fully dedicated to the training and the work, otherwise you will regret it most likely. Long hours in the heat and freezing weather, many responsibilities there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. That said, however I will teach my first class for the year this weekend and I can't wait.

This is something that has come into my mind before too. I would be interested in teaching, but I always think that I am still learning so much everytime I get on the bike, am I really ready to teach someone else? I don't know. I wonder if one day I will just say, "hey, i'm ready to teach!" I don't know that either. I certainly think I would enjoy teaching someone about something that I love and enjoy and has become a big part of my life. So I guess only time will tell.

Looking forward to seeing what others have to say on this post.

Good question. After I signed up to do the California Superbike School as a student I got a mail out saying they were looking for instructors. It was then that I decided I wanted to do it. I have always loved working with people and I have a degree in Child and Youth care where I wanted to teach children so it just seemed to fit perfectly. I love seeing improvements that my students make after they take our classes and utilize some of the suggestions I make. It is so rewarding and I couldn't ask for a better, more fulfilling job. It is so much fun. I love working with the kids as well, though really, the adult riders are just like kids anyway.

To anyone out there that is considering coaching or instructing riding, go for it! It is such an amazing line of work.

Cheers

Misti

jbr

You don't have to be an expert rider to be an instructor. You need to be able to ride well enough to demonstrate the exercises almost perfect but you will have plenty of opportunity to learn them. You ability to communicate is as important as your riding skills. If you have ridden a decent amount for at least two years more than likely you qualify. The training is tough and you will soon learn if you have the right stuff to teach. The training (RiderCoach Prep.) has a way of emliminating those who are not fully dedicated or ready. Of course I am takling about the training for teaching the MSF/BRC. You can go to the MSF web site and learn more about becoming a RiderCoach and who to call in your state. http://www.msf-usa.org

jbr

You don't have to be an expert rider to be an instructor. You need to be able to ride well enough to demonstrate the exercises almost perfect but you will have plenty of opportunity to learn them. You ability to communicate is as important as your riding skills. If you have ridden a decent amount for at least two years more than likely you qualify. The training is tough and you will soon learn if you have the right stuff to teach. The training (RiderCoach Prep.) has a way of emliminating those who are not fully dedicated or ready. Of course I am takling about the training for teaching the MSF/BRC. You can go to the MSF web site and learn more about becoming a RiderCoach and who to call in your state. http://www.msf-usa.org

Thanks for the advice. I will check into it. I've been riding on the road for about 5 years and dirtbikes before that so I understand the basics I think. I've taught a lot of classes and programs with the fire department so I am used to being in front of people and such....maybe I will have to give it a shot. (In all my spare time that is!) tongue.gif

I started Coaching about 3 years after learning to ride. I was absolutely amazed by how fast we could climb the first part of the learning curve in just one weekend. (And I'll admit to being fascinated by the funny-looking bike my instructor rode - first R1100GS I ever saw!) When my ERC instructor recruited me, I decided to give it a try. I'm not an expert rider, by any stretch of the imagination, and I couldn't teach a track school or anything like that. But I really, really enjoy introducing new people to this wonderful pasttime of ours. If you're at all curious about what an RCP would be like, take a look at my experience here.

John Bentall

Today I went out with our advanced riding group and saw a fellow struggling to get his Ducati Monster 620ie round corners. I decided that I did not have to be an instructor to instruct. After lunch he was approaching corners more slowly using acceleration sense (rolling off the gas) rather than brakes and having more fun in the process.

Teaching was mentioned to me when I took the ERC.

I'm nearly always in "teaching mode" on a daily basis, and have been an instructor in many facets of life.

I enjoy riding so much, the opportunity to teach others this wonderful sport just seemed natural. My "rookie year" was last year. Looking forward to my first class (probably with guitardad) at the end of March.

P

My reason are a little more selfish. Teaching for me was a challenge that I wanted to attempt. I believe if you are going to teach something you should be very well versed in it. Therefore upon deciding to become an MSF instructor I was challenging myself to be a better rider.

The actual time I have with the students is easy or should I say comes more natural to me. The MSF has made it very easy to teach the students.

When I entered the training class to become a rider coach I believe my riding ability was toward the bottom among the 20 some odd candidates. I spent probably 25 extra hours on the range by myself practicing because these other candidates were so good. First off I was going to fail this course, it just meant too much to me. Second I was not about to embarrass myself in front of students. When our class of six (yes 6 from 24, people drop out like flies)finished the class the chief instructor told me that my riding had improved the most and I now could ride "The perfect" demo.

That was three years ago and I still practice 1/2 before students arrive on the range bikes and 1/2 hour after class

on my bike. I love to coach and the brc is all about coaching. Encouragement is a huge part of this class and if you as an rider coach are enthusiastic you can get 99% of students through it. The biggest obstacle for first time riders is fear. I get an incredible amount of satisfaction watching the "light go on" after 5-6 exercises. I had a Woman cry the first day because she just "couldn't do it"

I believe her exact worlds were " I a F$$$ing Corrections Officer, I should be able to ride a motorcycle". After the class was over and she had passed with one of the best scores she asked me if a "Dyna glide" was too big for her first bike. I just love the way MSF has structured the exercises. Establishing muscle memory and one skill before another is learned.

Plus and this is big. When I leave the house for a 8am class at 6am (the place I teach is 20 mins away) I don't feel guilty about leaving my wife, I'm ging to work. Ya work, they call it work and then they give you money to do it.

Tony

Archived