IGNORED

Potholes everywhere

NoHeat

This winter we've had way more snow and ice than usual, and it has stayed on the roads.

So now the roads are potholed. Everywhere. Like I've never seen before. Streets, highways, and interstates alike. Sometimes it's just odd holes here and there, sometimes miles of nonstop craters.

This is not going to be a good spring for riding, I'm afraid.

Anybody else finding it's like this?

R1200 GS Adventure sales should go up! tongue.giftongue.gif

Where's that F800 GS again?

It's bad here too.

I'm thinking though that it'll be good swerving practice.

Hmmm, when I lived in PA the consensus that the only reason they paved the roads was so they'd have a place to make potholes! lmao.gif

Last year was the worst one I can remember in CO, but we've certainly seen a good number of potholes again this year. I agree with others on this issue - a GS is sounding much more attractive! clap.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Anybody else finding it's like this?

Back in April '99, a week after I bought my RT, I was riding a Detroit highway, dodging potholes until finally I nailed a big one at speed. BAM! Bent both rims, bottomed the suspension. I got new rims and tires, but my rear swingarm still bears a scar where it hit the screwhead on the bottom of the preload adjuster, and the paint has flaked off of the front end of the front swingarm, I'm guessing due to a slight deformation from that impact.

In the nine years since, they've done a great job rebuilding the divided highways around Detroit - they're in great shape the past few years - but now I find that the local roads around Ann Arbor are really going to pieces. We've had a wild range of weather this winter, with many days going far above freezing, including a bizarre day in January when we hit a high of 63. The freeze-thaw cycles are rough on the roads, and it's really showing this spring. I hope they get things patched up by the time I've got the bike ready to ride... ooo.gif

sAME sAME...here in Dull Moan..!

we had 64 yesterday then it fell 35 degrees in 3 hours...and 4" snow this morning...over the ice storm before it went to snow ... ahhhhhhhh!!!

It cannot be much longer can it?? confused.gifconfused.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Not MC related, but the cycle of snow/melt/puddle/freeze is going to be hard on golf courses too. Fairways and greens will suffer a lot of winter kill. Sorry, but golf is my other fair-weather passion.

Not much different here. Our existing potholes just got a little bigger... easier to see now. A few paved streets are now mostly gravel. The first 3 miles getting out of town have always been a slalom course.

Our worst problem is poor foundation on some of the concrete streets. The concrete is sinking in some places creating up 2" differentials in height of one slab ot the next. When the roads are icy, my small compact car can get sideways if it rubs up against it.

At least Hwy 218 is still in good condition, so it's smooth sailing to and from Gina's or Coralville, just pock marked once you're off the freeway.

Come on out to California. We have year round potholes for your riding pleasure.

i mAY just hafta do that sometime..! potholes or not..!

More specifically, try our California Interstate Highways for Hi-speed pothole action.

And sorry, but a GS ain't gonna help ya....you'll still ruin rims grin.gif

MB>

And the Hi-speed pothole section leads to notched steering head bearings. So you get a twofer. Ruined bearings and dented rims. Gotta love our state government with our $12 billion budget shortfall. Go Arnold!

Archived