IGNORED

R1200RT Instrument Cluster Glare

dnorrell

I just picked up a used 2006 RT with less than 300 miles on it today...love it! I do, however, hate the plastic instrument cluster cover and the glare it offers up. Any ideas? I have seen a mysterious part on some BMW microfiche for the instrument cluster that shows a completely different bezel. I have attached a picture that shows this mysterious part #8.

Anyway...I need ideas! Thanks for the help!

Adam

1002976-0481.jpg.2ca5243569f05e0291a55a4eeb4ed06b.jpg

That is the bezel for the k1200gt. It will fit on an RT, but not great. You have to drill some holes in the surround on you RT to make it work. Looks good when done. See att'd. You also need the two screws listed to mount it.

Earl

1002988-GTbezel.JPG.8f30c71c72c5ad199f2d98ac95a27755.JPG

Earl! That is exactly what I wanted to see!!! clap.gif

A few questions...

1. How much and where?

2. Once holes are drilled, is the fit snug?

3. Does it replace the clear cluster cover, or simply fit over it?

Looks sharp!

Adam

Earl! That is exactly what I wanted to see!!! clap.gif

A few questions...

1. How much and where?

2. Once holes are drilled, is the fit snug?

3. Does it replace the clear cluster cover, or simply fit over it?

Looks sharp!

Adam

1. From your friendly BMW dealer, so that answers the first part as well(rediculessly overpriced peace of plastic)

2.Yes, but it is not made for this model, it does not fit the contuor of the facia very well, but good enough.

3. fits over the clear part, has rubber buttons that fit over the trip and clock buttons, so all work fine.

The two screws mount it to the IP so it stays tight and will not come loose. I have forgotten the part #'s but you can find them in the part cats. on line, just look under 07 k1200gt.

Earl

After installing the GT cover on my RT, there were gaps between cover and the instrument panel surround toward the top. I ended up using 1/4" automotive doore edge molding around the outer edge of the GT cluster. It eliminated the gaps and also remove the creaking and rubbing between panel and custer cover.

I didn't apply the edge molding all the way around the cover beause it would have prevented the clips at the bottom of the cluster from attaching. You can see where the edging stops in the second photo.

221656186_oVC5q-L.jpg

221656037_QsSZt-L.jpg

260905325_gSFmC-L.jpg

Wunderlich also market a similar bezel that is much easier to install than the BMW part and probably much less expensive. You can get it from BMW of Santa Cruz.

Wunderlich also market a similar bezel that is much easier to install than the BMW part and probably much less expensive. You can get it from BMW of Santa Cruz.

The Wunderlich Bezel is more almost 3 times the price at $149.00. The GT Bezel w/screws cost me $50.25 + shipping from MAX BMW.

Of Course it's a matter of personal preference, but the cover off the K1200GT looks much better, IMO.

Wunderlich

8162508b.jpg

From K1200GT

221656037_QsSZt-L.jpg

James,

Thanks for the help and photos!

I considered the Wunderlich cluster cover, but wasn't crazy about its appearance. I like the look of your setup much better. Good idea on the door edge trim, too.

Question: does the K1200GT cluster trim have rubber/foam bumpers on the back, or does the plastic simply rest on the clear plastic of the instrument cover?

Thanks again,

Adam

After installing the GT cover on my RT, there were gaps between cover and the instrument panel surround toward the top. I ended up using 1/4" automotive doore edge molding around the outer edge of the GT cluster. It eliminated the gaps and also remove the creaking and rubbing between panel and custer cover.

I didn't apply the edge molding all the way around the cover beause it would have prevented the clips at the bottom of the cluster from attaching. You can see where the edging stops in the second photo.

221656186_oVC5q-L.jpg

221656037_QsSZt-L.jpg

260905325_gSFmC-L.jpg

that is very nice looking. thumbsup.gif

James,

Thanks for the help and photos!

I considered the Wunderlich cluster cover, but wasn't crazy about its appearance. I like the look of your setup much better. Good idea on the door edge trim, too.

Question: does the K1200GT cluster trim have rubber/foam bumpers on the back, or does the plastic simply rest on the clear plastic of the instrument cover?

Thanks again,

Adam

No pad or rubber bumpers; except the two that act as the reset/mode buttons. The way mine is installedrests on the instrument panel surround and the cover looks

to be suspended 1/8" or less above the cluster lens. Initially I was concerned about the lens getting scratched by the cover, but it hasn't been a problem.

Once again...you hit my concern right on the head.

One (hopefully) final question about this little mod: What do the two screws that should be ordered at the same time as the cover screw in to? I assume there is some drilling to be done...

Thanks again folks! Super helpful!

a..

Once again...you hit my concern right on the head.

One (hopefully) final question about this little mod: What do the two screws that should be ordered at the same time as the cover screw in to? I assume there is some drilling to be done...

Thanks again folks! Super helpful!

a..

The way I mounted the GT cluster involves drilling two large holes into the instrument panel frame and then threading two existing holes located on the instrument cluster. It involves a bit of disasembly.

If you can supply me with an e-mail address; your profile didn't include one, I can send you an MS Word document describing the steps. If there's enough interest, I can do a write-up and add it to this thread. The images in the doc file I created aren't very good.

PM sent with email address. You have been so helpful on this topic, and I can't express how much I appreciate it. This definitely makes a new guy feel welcome.

Does the K1200GT bezel take care of the glare on the center display??

Tom Casey

"Whats on your oddmeter??"

75.. R75/6 yellowbird

06...R12RT RDALRT

To be honest, I mostly did it for cosmetic reasons, with the added hope that it would reduce sun glare.

It greatly reduces glare from the sun overhead, but there will still be the same relection of you on the lens. It completely eliminates that orange glow that relects off the windscreen at night.

If you can supply me with an e-mail address; your profile didn't include one, I can send you an MS Word document describing the steps. If there's enough interest, I can do a write-up and add it to this thread.

James,

Sent you mine as well ... wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

After installing the GT cover on my RT

260905325_gSFmC-L.jpg

As a potential R1200RT owner, can I just say how much more finished that looks now than with either the standard layout or the Wunderlich system.

Whoever thought of this first well done thumbsup.gif! Hopefully this will be a change when they facelift the bike.

Andy

Apply a sheet of 3M Vikuiti anti glare film.
Where did you get this? I've been to the 3M web site and it isn't listed in their estore.

Regarding...http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Vikuiti1/BrandProducts/main/productliterature/productinformation/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQ8KB7_nid=RW0ZMH842Pbe0H01CMQK62gl

I called 3M Customer Service. "Bob" stated this product would not hold up to outside elements and a motorcycle application would not work. He stated 3M doesn't make a product for this type of application.

Archived