IGNORED

How often do you DELETE a post?

tallman

I often write a response and then delete it without ever submitting the post.

Reasons for deleting vary.

Sometimes I just need to write it down, sort of a cathartic exercise.

Am I the only one who does this? crazy.gif

Nope. I've censored myself quite a bit. And I've probably clicked "Ok, submit" a few times when I shouldn't have. Sometimes I just don't think I would add much to the discussion, sometimes I think my words might be too strong, sometimes I'm trying to be funny but worried it wouldn't come off that way, sometimes the form expires before I'm done pondering/editing, and sometimes I decide that if I'm still irked the next day about whatever it was, I'll do something about it then (which usually means nothing gets posted -- the old trick about handling angry letters).

Am I the only one who does this?

No.

Sometimes, believe it or not, my filter kicks in and I decide it's too much of a hijack. I generally try to kick any nasty responses before I send them, though it's been suggested to me that what I consider such a response differs from what others consider such a response. Other times, I just decide I don't want to post.

Main Index is a good thing.

Nope. I've censored myself quite a bit. And I've probably clicked "Ok, submit" a few times when I shouldn't have. Sometimes I just don't think I would add much to the discussion, sometimes I think my words might be too strong, sometimes I'm trying to be funny but worried it wouldn't come off that way, sometimes the form expires before I'm done pondering/editing, and sometimes I decide that if I'm still irked the next day about whatever it was, I'll do something about it then (which usually means nothing gets posted -- the old trick about handling angry letters).

Thanks for reading my mind and posting it for me. IMHO, most forums are dominated by a few stronger personalities and it is easy to feel like your input is not welcomed unless it fits the accepted paramaters. It is very easy to second guess yourself and not participate...or to get the bit in your teeth and come off looking like an angry jerk.

DAMHIK!

+ 1

I do that as well. As mentioned, I might be writing a smarta$$ response and then realize that it might not come across as I meant it. Other times I realize that my response is mostly personal, and I realize that no one would really care. Kind of like this response. blush.gif Sorry!

Tim, I do that too. But sometimes I let it ride because I want to increase my post count. I heard that after 1000 posts you get a set of steak knives. thumbsup.gif

I know I should have deleted this reply but...

I used to live by the rule, never send an angry response 'til you have re-read it the next morning.

Saved my a@@ many a times.

p.s this reply won't keep 'til next morning. grin.gif

Les is more
Tim, I do that too. But sometimes I let it ride because I want to increase my post count. I heard that after 1000 posts you get a set of steak knives. thumbsup.gif

Yes. But they're dull and rusty.

I fall under the catharsis category. Usually by the time I finish typing an answer full of righteous indignation, I've gotten over it. Either that or I'm getting old and I've forgotten what I was mad about in the first place.

I delete quite a few, but probably post more stupid responses than I should. I have to censor myself so much at work you see . . .

Either that or I'm getting old and I've forgotten what I was mad about in the first place.

Main Index

Now Greg, that's right funny, that is. I just can't figure out why.

String of emoticons deleted.

Jan

No Tim, believe it or not, I also delete or edit my postings several times before they actually make it to publication. Sometimes, when I haven't edited them enough, there are some nice people who, let us say, take some "editorial freedoms" with my written words and reorganize them to where feelings are generally spared. To those folks, thanks! thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas

I don't hit the 'Submit' button for the second time in quite a few instances. Mainly because I have found that 'sensitivities' of US people are different than the those of a variety of European folks and their (often very different!) cultures. And since most readers here are US citizens I 'try' to 'regulate' myself before posting, which is much less necessary in non-US forums. But the latter is perhaps also caused by the fact that many of those are in a local language, that 'others' often don't speak/write. Who knows......

Something invariably slips through anyway, often leaving me scratching my head in bewildered amazement on how different things sometimes get interpreted.

It is a pity that posts can't be changed anymore after some time....

In spite of all the good things, the Internet remains a dangerous place.

Les is more
I delete posts all the time. I fear the wrath of Mama Hoon. dopeslap.gif

...or is it the rusty, dull steak knives you fear?? eek.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif

Jerry Johnston

Fast thinker that I am, I find that my thoughts have already been posted (by several)by the time I even get around to reading them. I'd have more fun if I could delete someone elses post anyway. lmao.gif

Paul_Burkett

Some times I write something, just to add my two cents worth, then figure that I'll probably get three cents back, so I just go back to the forum and read.

Archived