IGNORED

How do you say Goodbye?

ESokoloff

I just learned tonight that an individual I ran with/against in High School cross country & track has inoperable brain cancer.

I have not seen this individual for 25+ years but I'm very saddened non the less.

It sucks getting old(er) but it better then the alternative.

I've found comfort in certain Country/Western songs during these times..

This one is for Eric Zucker.

Well, you've had 25+ years to think about what you want to tell him. I'd suggest starting with what he meant to you and what you admired about him; gotta be a reason you've remembered him all these years. Any stories about him and you from a happier time? I would imagine he is reviewing his life about now and could use some upbeat memories. Let him know he's going to leave ripples further than he'd imagined.

Just my thoughts.

Jerry Johnston

You're getting some really good answers, esp from Bob (Quinn). I had my best friend die of cancer approx. 5 yrs ago and I went to his house each day and did some chores for him that he'd normally do, then sit at his bed side and talk to him about the old days and some of the humorous pranks he pulled - which he really enjoyed. I didn't really grieve over him until after he passed away and then fully realized how much he meant to me.

I would like to think that things happen in our lives for a reason. When bad things happen to me or to those I love I do the best I can to belive that things really do happen for a reason and then I try to figure out what it is that I'm suppose to do, think or say..I don't believe one can discuss this to any extent without it becoming a religeous discussion but the short answer to your question has to depend on what the person who is dying believes about his purpose, God, and the hereafter..

Dennis Andress

Eric, be careful listening to the blues my friend. They will console you when your down but when things are really bad they can also echo the pain and reinforce it. At some point you have to put one foot ahead of the other and walk on, all alone.

Dennis

You do not say goodbye....you just let them know from the bottom of your heart that you will see them later...

God bless

+1..! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the words Gents.

When I went to visit with Eric the next day, his wife was outside the door & explained to all visitors that there was to be no discussion of things to come.

So the visit was a time to catch up on the past.

Good-bye will have to wait.

Knifemaker has the right approach but I would let him know how much your life has been made better because he has been part of it; I would let him know that you will miss him but you will meet up again down the road.

Hi Eric,

Losing a friend of any age is tough, and you're doing the right thing to focus on the good times past. I think the best you can do is check in as often as you can. The goodbye part (in my experience) usually comes from the person ill, and if you're checking in, you'll know if it comes. Some people are interested in closing things out, others not.

best wishes,

dave

Archived