IGNORED

Good Guys Lose Another One [Part II]....

BULLman

No, its not an update about the ex-sweetie [but something DID happen tongue.gif]....

After 17yrs with the same company, I was let go on Monday eek.gif

Anybody have advise on finding a job [online sites?, head-hunters]???

This was my only REAL job since college.

OhandIspeltoverLenore'shouseonMonday. Iguessmyhavingajobwastheproblem. dopeslap.gif

Unless you have absolutely no money in the bank and/or no credit, DON'T PANIC!

Resist that urgent "OH MY GOD I'VE GOTTA GET A JOB RIGHT NOW WHAT DO I DO" feeling. This is not the end of the world. Being unemployed for a little while does not make you a lesser person (just ask Killer!).

First, take stock. Were you doing what you want to be doing? If not, figure out what you want to be doing, and assess what skills you have that are applicable. Work up a new resume' geared in that direction.

I don't know what field you're in, but I do know that, at least in technical fields, most job recruiting seems to have gone online. The "Help Wanted" ads in the paper are notably sparse in technical fields. Check monster.com and other job sites.

That being said, I've read repeatedly that many of the best jobs are never advertised. Working your contacts is the way to find these jobs.

Gotta run.

Bullman,

It's always easier to say than do but...

Don't panic! You WILL find another job and often it's better one than the previous one.

Network ! Tell your friends, family and aquaintences that you are in the job market and you would appreciate any leads that they can offer.

Get your resume in order. If you can, let someone with experience help you with preparing it along with a good cover letter to send with it.

Register yourself by head hunters and employment agencies and stay in regular contact with them to show you are a serious job seeker.

Make your job search a full time job. Take an extreem proactive approach and work full time on the task of finding work.

There are many books and other information to help you make the right moves. Use every means at your disposal to leave no stone unturned. You are going to be fine, just use your time and assets wisely. Good luck ! wave.gif

Bullman,

It's always easier to say than do but...

Don't panic! You WILL find another job and often it's better one than the previous one.

Network ! Tell your friends, family and aquaintences that you are in the job market and you would appreciate any leads that they can offer.

Get your resume in order. If you can, let someone with experience help you with preparing it along with a good cover letter to send with it.

Register yourself by head hunters and employment agencies and stay in regular contact with them to show you are a serious job seeker.

Make your job search a full time job. Take an extreem proactive approach and work full time on the task of finding work.

There are many books and other information to help you make the right moves. Use every means at your disposal to leave no stone unturned. You are going to be fine, just use your time and assets wisely. Good luck ! wave.gif

Can't add anything except DON'T PANIC. When you're going though something like this it's hard to listen to those words but when you look back after you have landed on your feet (and you will) you'll know how valuable they are. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt ....

Calvin  (no socks)

I need a Lawn Service.... grin.gif

My weed eater needs some string....

Seriously, consider this as your move and act on it. thumbsup.gif

Well, the good news is you can live like Marty now. grin.gif
What does traveling around the country looking for a free place to stay have to do with him getting a job? confused.gif

Bullman, That Sucks.

You could take up playing drums and find a rich girl friend to support your dream of making it big grin.gif

If that idea doesn't work out then you could break out the phone book and make some calls in a new direction you might not have ever considered before.

Turn it into a positive change for the better.

Good luck thumbsup.gif

Dan---That truly sucks.

However, you have brains and many talents. I'm sure some employer will be lucky enough to get you.

Meanwhile, join us on some Wednesday rides. Or any other day. Or come over for dinner. My granddaughter will put a smile on your face.

What do you do for a living?

I sold wine and spirits to Hotels, Bars and Restaurants for a distributor.

Thanks to all for the kind words. Trying to talk to my friends to keep their eyes open.

Don't worry, I'm not panicing!!!!

BTW, is freaking out the same thing as panicing? confused.gif

grin.gif

lurker.gif

Problem solved - thumbsup.gif

Move to Napa / Sonoma, lots of great riding up there grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks to all for the kind words. Trying to talk to my friends to keep their eyes open.

Don't worry, I'm not panicing!!!!

BTW, is freaking out the same thing as panicing? confused.gif

grin.gif

lurker.gif

So, what do you want to do? Do you want to continue in this industry? If so, do you want to only sell alchohol or are you willing to do other food items?

I'm not certain that monster.com or one of the other career sites will be that much help. In your case, I would turn to craigslist, if they have one for your area. I would also watch the classifieds. I find it interesting that they let you go after 25 years. Were you getting too expensive? It may come down to age discrimination if there were only a few individuals let go. My wife hired a lawyer when that happened to her ex husband. They beat the snot out of the company because it was a company letting the guy go because he was twice the cost of two college hires. The company ended up settling for hundreds of thousands of $ on the very strong urging of their lawyers.

One of your strengths is your contacts. Say that you start working for a company that sells meats. You can go back to the hotels and businesses that you have built a relationship with.

Archived