IGNORED

A New Kinder, Gentler Advrider?

Ken H.

Well it's not like they've shut down Jo mamma or anything, but I did find the new sticky "Attention All GSpot Participants" in the GSpot forum interesting and encouraging. Wonder why it was only posted in the BMW area though? The KTM and other bike forums didn't suffer from the same rampant hostility?

Still, any nudge over there toward, if not decorum, then at least some civility can't hurt it seems to me. Overall I thought it was pretty well written - Attention

did you see his signature line....

ADV Riders... as wrong as you want to be and as proud as you can be of it.

Sounds a bit like an HD advertisement. One wonders how it squares with the new directive.

Getting ribbed was a form of endearment. It also helped to identify those who 'got it' from those who didn't.

Just another case where society needs to cater to people who "don't get it".

Hey Ken

I think they have lost their ability to enforce anything over there. I know for a fact that many of the "regulars" have 5 and sometimes 10 board names and avatars. You can argue with what you think is ten different people when really you are fightin one guy in his mother's basement still in his PJ's. (Jo mama)

I got a note from an Advrider at work when I got back for CO, on the note he listed all his aliases.

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Whip

Well we can only hope I guess. There's a lot of good info over there, it's just that wading through all the BS and hostility hardly makes it worth the effort. tongue.gif

Well we can only hope I guess. There's a lot of good info over there, it's just that wading through all the BS and hostility hardly makes it worth the effort. tongue.gif

+1......that is my thoughts as well. It really is a shame that the content/BS ratio is so far off over there. I tend to wade into it from time to time when I have an hour or so to burn on the weekend (mostly the ride reports), but sometimes it is just plain frustrating.

Interesting post Ken. I'm not a high post count person at either place but sometimes I find the smugness over here just as irritating as the BS over at AdvRider. Over here you find a clique that tends to praise itself for being "good" and looking down on others such as the denizens of AdvRider while over there, I find a lot of good info along with a rampant cligue that tends to stay in Jo Momma. Which is better? I'm not sure? At either place, the signal to noise ratio tends to annoy me at different times.

Interesting post Ken. I'm not a high post count person at either place but sometimes I find the smugness over here just as irritating as the BS over at AdvRider. Over here you find a clique that tends to praise itself for being "good" and looking down on others such as the denizens of AdvRider while over there, I find a lot of good info along with a rampant cligue that tends to stay in Jo Momma. Which is better? I'm not sure? At either place, the signal to noise ratio tends to annoy me at different times.

Us? Smug and cliquey? Say it isn't so!

In general I think we tend to stay a bit more on topic (whatever the subject of the thread is) here, and less of the, 'you're a !@#$% moron for thinking that' berating going on that you see on Advrider. I hope that comes across more as helpful than smug, but everyone has their perspective I guess.

I've been a member of ADVRider for years and haven't even been to Jo Momma, I just like the awesome ride reports and frankly don't see too much if any weirdness going on in those. Just some amazing ride tales and writing accompanied by world class photography. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
I've been a member of ADVRider for years and haven't even been to Jo Momma, I just like the awesome ride reports and frankly don't see too much if any weirdness going on in those. Just some amazing ride tales and writing accompanied by world class photography. thumbsup.gif

+1 there. I really enjoy the Ride reports over there.

This is similar to my perspective. I have never had an issue on either board, but both have their pro's and con's.

Us? Smug and cliquey? Say it isn't so!

In general I think we tend to stay a bit more on topic (whatever the subject of the thread is) here, and less of the, 'you're a !@#$% moron for thinking that' berating going on that you see on Advrider. I hope that comes across more as helpful than smug, but everyone has their perspective I guess.

I guess the good thing is both boards offer some real positives in that there are some helpful and caring people who go out of their way to share their technical expertise and offer advise - be it mechanical or just travel related info. On the flip side, both boards have the full complement of internet personalities. Sometimes they liven the discussions and add spice; sometimes they just consume too much energy. Diverse thought processes placed on the table for all to partake of tend to be lively and offer the opportunity to step out of our comfort zones. Sometimes we perceive that as good and other times as not so good... In particular, I don't see the berating you are speaking of outside of jo momma. I don't think the ride reports over there are surpassed anyplace else on the net and the discourse in that forum and most of the others is usually quite tame.

To each his own.

Archived