IGNORED

need to get from John Day to West entrance of YellowStone Natl Park

randy

Randy:

How much time do you have? Would you rather go through central Idaho or Montana? Look on a map and notice where Kooskia and Lolo are smile.gif

You can get there on NF39/Imnaha Highway and then follow the Rattlesnake Grade:

Rattlesnake1_sm.jpg

through the Grande Ronde then to Lewiston and US 12:

Lochsa1_sm.jpg

Follow I90 (probably the most scenic section of Interstate you will ever use) from Missoula to Belgrade then south on 191 to West Yellowstone:

Option 2 would be to see the Sawtooth Mountains:

Sawtooth_pan_sm.jpg

and ID 75 from Stanley to Challis?

ID75b_sm.jpg

I got others, too.

Mike Cassidy

sorry, I should have noted that. We have two full days. For really good roads, we could make it 2.5 days. if we arrive at the Western entrance to Yellowstone around Noon on day three that might work just fine.

this is the long story, Ryan and I are leaving John Day and riding to yellowstone. Cathy and Dustin are leaving that same day (in the mini van) to go to glacier park and drive the "road to the sun" and then meet us at yellowstone.

So 2.0 days minimum 2.5 days max. Basic idea we leave Thursday July 10 around Noon, we head toward yellowstone.

spend all day friday and saturday riding and arrive yellowston noon on Saturday or maybe even late evening around 4pm Saturday. We have some flexibility if the roads warrant the time.

ok, this is what I have so far

leave John Day taking 26 east towards Baker city

take 86 East out of Baker City to Hells Canyon Nat Park NF-39

Take NF-39 North thru Hells Canyon Nat Park

Not sure how to get from top of Hells canyon Nat park to Joseph,(there is a NF-3920 North of the park, should I use that road??)

Out of Joseph take Imnaha Hwy north up to Imnaha and on up to Lewiston

Take 12 out of Lewiston to Kooskia

continue on 12 out of Kooskia to Lolo

continue on 12 out of Lolo to Missoula

I90 out of Missoula to Belgrade

191 out of Belgrade to Yellowstone Natl Prk West Entrance

total mileage is 800 miles. for 2.5 days that is just about the right amount of mileage. 325 first two days, then 150 miles on day 3, and arrive at yellowstone around Noon on day 3. That is just about what we need.

Did I miss any roads?

Suggestions to take or leave (or use for return trips)

The pizza place in Joseph across from the Embers is good. The hotels close early if you roll into town late make sure they know you are coming, you won't have cell coverage in Hell's Canyon at all- we popped out to 4 voicemails from them telling us they're going home, and just barely got our room key, watch out for ravens attacking you in there (joke- one smacked into my mirror last year) it's slow going through Hell's Canyon and really slow after dark - we had a mechanical and got in there at dusk, out in pitch black was a little hairy. See the google maps link for your route- not sure the numbers, but there's pretty much one way out.

Hwy 13 from Kooskia to Harpster is a hoot. You could add it in as an out and back to this trip or just take it on the return leg or something.

Are you going to Belgrade for a reason? I've never ridden I-90 out there but I try to avoid interstate for a reason. The google maps link is how I did it going through that area, and some of those roads were a blast- didn't look like much but turned out to be fun. I think I've got them right - I could look at my pc at home and see if I have routes saved at all.

I can't get the google maps URL to work.

Check out Lolo to Wisdom, MT to Dillon MT to Sheridan, MT to W. Yellowstone for an alternative to I-90- but like I mentioned, I-90 could be wonderful, I haven't ridden it due to my inherent anti I-road bias.

ok, this is what I have so far

leave John Day taking 26 east towards Baker city

take 86 East out of Baker City to Hells Canyon Nat Park NF-39

Take NF-39 North thru Hells Canyon Nat Park

Not sure how to get from top of Hells canyon Nat park to Joseph,(there is a NF-3920 North of the park, should I use that road??)

Out of Joseph take Imnaha Hwy north up to Imnaha and on up to Lewiston

Take 12 out of Lewiston to Kooskia

continue on 12 out of Kooskia to Lolo

continue on 12 out of Lolo to Missoula

I90 out of Missoula to Belgrade

191 out of Belgrade to Yellowstone Natl Prk West Entrance

total mileage is 800 miles. for 2.5 days that is just about the right amount of mileage. 325 first two days, then 150 miles on day 3, and arrive at yellowstone around Noon on day 3. That is just about what we need.

Did I miss any roads?

It's Hells Canyon National Recreation Area, not a NP.

About 10 miles east of Halfway is NF39 going north.You'll see a sign pointing toward Joseph. NF39 ends on Imnaha Hwy. Take a left there. About 10 miles to Joseph.

From Enterprise take OR3/WA129 to Lewiston.

Check out this and this

thanks, if we hit Joseph during a lunch break, we will try the pizza place.

I have added 13 as a down and back ride. It does look like a road worth the 40 minute detour.

yea generally I do not like hwy's but to be honest it is in as a "catch" up segment. if we are ahead of schedule and we have extra time, then we can choose some back roads. If we need to make time up, then it is in the plan.

ok there is some conflict (man I hate having multiple great roads) leaving Joseph.

option 1 take Imnaha Hwy

option 2 take Hwy3

I assume both are good choices, and it is just a matter of what Ryan and I feel like doing? Or is there a reason to choose one road over the other??

Don't forget this place...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2098/

Funky little microbrew place, great beers and wonderful menu.

And your bike will be undisturbed out front thumbsup.gif

MB>

Paul Mihalka

"You can get there on NF39/Imnaha Highway and then follow the Rattlesnake Grade:"

From where to where do these roads go? I see the road going from Baker City to Joseph, I see the town of Imnaha, and I see rt. 3 going north to Lewiston. That picture of Rattlesnake Grade is inviting!

Paul:

Hope to catch you this summer!! Well, I'll never actually catch you.

Anyway NF39 is a great little 50 miles that starts from OR86 7 miles SW of the Oxbow dam to the Imnaha Hwy a few miles east to Joseph,OR.

The pictures in the earlier posts (including mine) are of OR3/WA129 looking north at the descent into the Grande Ronde River Canyon starting 35 miles north of Enterprise. There was a little store/resort (Boggan's Oasis?) at the river crossing that was great place for a milkshake and burger. The next 10 miles rising back up out of the Grande Ronde Canyon is the part that actually follows Rattlesnake Creek and it is even more fun, climbing over 1500 ft to a flat area past Anatone then great curves again down into Asotin.

Mike Cassidy

Just for clarity, the only way north to Idaho is via Hwy 3 north out of Enterprise. The road north out of the town of Imnaha is paved for maybe 10 miles, then turns to a goat trail. I had to turn my 4W truck around shortly after trying it. The upper Imnaha River Rd is over 30 miles of gravel from the turn off @39 to the town of Imnaha. I have land along the river, about 6 miles in, as mentioned in the main post.

Beautiful ride on a GS. wink.gif

Thanks for that clarity Mak, and I am glad you stated the difference between paved and non paved roads in the area...I was on that road in a rental car last Sept, although wonderful ( not for the rental) it was dirt most of the way. Some very steep grades with sharp rocks that cut tires. Don't ask how I know...

Hwy 3 is a good one to Lewiston...not much traffic at all, but watch for deer.

MB>

Paul, Rattlesnake Grade inviting? No, it's screaming your name! Gray Dog, Dances With Roads and I rode it last summer after the John Day Rally. The Oregon side is in a bit of disrepair with some potholes and gravel on the corners. Not bad, but not a high-speed hoon run, either. When you cross into WA it improves considerably.

BTW, Rt 3 becomes Rt 129 in WA, not ID. It follows up to Clarkston where one crosses the river into Lewiston, then you follow 12.

If I had all that time I'd keep going in MT to Red Lodge just so I could do the Beartooth again. Then take the Chief Joseph up to Yellowstone.

Don't sweat it brothers. There'll be plenty of time to plan your route at the UN while quaffing brewskis. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

As an experienced home brewer, I am reluctant to bring a sixer of any commercial brew- its just wrong!

Now, If I can figure out how to get a 5 gallon keg and my CO2 tank on the bike, we will have some good beer to work with... I will keep you posted.

OBTW I hear there is a good brewpub in McCall, Idaho...

Terminal Gravity in Enterprise is.....well, a prize! Super nice folks. Great little town.

Their Belgian Trippell is heaven on earth. Food's good, too.

Terminal Gravity in Enterprise is.....well, a prize! Super nice folks. Great little town.

Their Belgian Trippell is heaven on earth. Food's good, too.

+1 on all comments! thumbsup.gif

Nothing like sitting in the front yard of that unassuming house/brewery and sipping on great suds! We always get a quart, or so, to go and hightail it up Hurricane creek to camp. Absolutely one of the great spots on earth!

From our favorite camp site: hurricanecreekview.jpg

i'VE got it on my "too-do" list during this trip..!!

Meet me...??? thumbsup.gif

Would love to but I'm still not sure I'll be able make the Un shindig. If I do, I'm there.

You buyin'?

You buyin'?

fOR yOU...?????????

Damn straight..!!

I cannot wait to get out there and hoon it up with you, Doc..! clap.gifclap.gif

• 1 month later...

Thanks for starting this thread Randy, Jean and I are mapping some of this also only coming from Yellowstone to John Day. Thanks for the leg work on this, and to "all" that posts with the hiway info. Working my mapsource up now!

I like the hw12, I90, 191 route, 2 days will be doable without too much of a push.

• 1 month later...

Randy - If you plan to do Hwy 3 out of Joseph, The Rattlesnake Grade and Lolo Pass, you will need to see your physician immediatly. I can guarantee you will have an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.

Enjoy.

Paul Mihalka

That is the route I plan to take out of John Day. I wonder what it will do to me at my age... :thumbsup:

Paul Mihalka
Paul - You should carry your Nitro Glycerin tablets with you. :grin:
Nah, when I'm on the bike I feel like a young 60 year old...

Archived