IGNORED

Any Of You Seen the BBC Series "Planet Earth"

David

I have always enjoyed Attenborough’s natural history documentaries, this is no exception. They are well researched works and do not resort to gratuitous sensationalism or frequent repetition to pad out the time.

Andy

The initial promotions for it reminded me of a 'whole Earth' version of "Blue Planet" series narrated by A. Cook, which I thought was fantastic.

"Planet Earth" didn't disappoint; after seeing the first installment, my wife and I made it a point to always watch, or DVR for future veiwing, the newest episode. I thought the cinematography was incredible.

I thought it was fantastic in HD. My wife told me a couple of days ago that she saw it advertised on HDDVD for something like $30. A great deal if you already have a HD DVD player and want to get a few titles while you still can.

I just got a blu-ray player, and wanted to get something that would take advantage of it. That sort of series seems like a good candidate.

John_Hendriksen

It's very good....not a ton of science in there, but the photography is incredible, some of the slow motion scenes knock your socks off....great in satelitte HD, and even better in Blue Ray.

BTW, thanks for the Stephen Layton tip from awhile back - really nice! I've just picked up an album by Trio Mediaevel, beautiful voices. If you haven't heard them...give 'em a listen.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I ordered the set after first seeing it on National Geographic. Truly amazing in High Definition.

I watched it on HD Theater when it came out last year. The cinematography (sp?) was excellent and they put a very interesting perspective on various wildlife scenarios which had not been available before.

The monologs were a different story. Although I'm a Sigourney Weaver fan, I found many of the explanations unbelievable and contradictory. Basically, they reached where they shouldn’t have, which detracted from the otherwise excellent series.

It is definitely worth watching, but with a skeptical ear.

I just got a blu-ray player, and wanted to get something that would take advantage of it. That sort of series seems like a good candidate.

While shopping for high def TVs recently, Planet Earth was being shown in many of the video stores. From what I saw, I think you'll enjoy in on blu-ray.

You guys are gonna think I'm nuts (or very immature), but the nature series I really enjoyed was, "Walking with Dinosaurs". Man did I get into that show.

I have the DVD set and periodically put it on. I just think it's a kick-ass concept -- take our ability to recreate dinosaurs via computer generation, and make a documentary out of it. Me and my girls sit down to watch it often -- much to their lament! bncry.gifgrin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Beats Carl Sagons Cosmos.

To be fair, the Cosmos series is almost thirty years old; if Sagan were still around today, armed with the latest science knowledge and animation technology, it would have been interesting to see what he could come up with.

Unless, of course, it's just that his style grates on you, in which case time won't help anything. crazy.gif

I just saw a show on Discovery HD Theater entitled "The Secrets of Zion and Bryce" or something to that effect. Simply awesome. The first photography I've seen that really gives you a sense of the scale of the places.

Beats Carl Sagons Cosmos.

To be fair, the Cosmos series is almost thirty years old; if Sagan were still around today, armed with the latest science knowledge and animation technology, it would have been interesting to see what he could come up with.

Unless, of course, it's just that his style grates on you, in which case time won't help anything. crazy.gif

Don't get me wrong, at the time it came out I learned a lot, and thought it was great. I rented it about 10 years ago and it was dated then.

Archived