IGNORED

Oscars??????????????

Whip

After watching the Oscars for the firt time in my life I have a question??????

Do these people make movies to make money or win awards???????

Who are they tryin to impress??????????????....(each other)????????

dopeslap.gifconfused.gifdopeslap.gifconfused.gifdopeslap.gifconfused.gif

Whip

yes

yes. surely you've heard of the mutual admiration society? grin.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Whip,

First of all.... There are teams.....

Then they only turn left......

Then they try to knock others off the red carpet.....

Then the winner does burnouts in front of a microphone.......

Kinda like NASCAR....

I just watch it for the CRASHES....

Puts me right to sleep.... where is that picture of Tommy 2shocks...?

There is only one Oscar.

wmob001.jpg

Wouldn't it be cool to own that? grin.gif

tHAT wOULD be cool if you owned it - 'cause then we could all drive it at the "UN" clap.gifclap.gif

I have to say it was interesting marking the scorecard of each winner all the while not having seen one of the movies. Ok, I was doing it for the wife. Heck it is just like any other company awards banquet but being shown to anyone with a TV.

Pretty much, since lately, most of the best picture nominees are movies a vast majority of people have never seen, and wouldn't have heard of if they weren't nominated (with the exception this year of Juno, which got passed over for everything at the ceremony).

As they were showing clips of past Oscar ceremonies, I couldn't help but think last night's totally paled in comparison. It was a lot funner to watch when I'd at least heard of (and probably at least saw 2 or 3 of) the best picture nominees. And, as much as Jon Stewart is funny, there were no "moments" last night at all. Billy Crystal was tops for this, and I enjoyed Steve Martin too. Heck, I even liked Ellen. If I were old enough to give a toot about Oscar back in the day, I would have enjoyed the heck out of Johnny Carson and Bob Hope. thumbsup.gif

Anyway, officially, as for "impressing each other" the ceremonies are:

Oscar: Awarded by the "Academy" which includes everyone from actors, to writers, to directors, to editors, etc.

People's Choice: the least prestigious award, even though it is voted on by the FANS. dopeslap.gif

SAG Award: Voted on by Actors. (This is totally the "actors patting other actors on the back" ceremony)

Golden Globes: Awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press...whoever they are! Is this all press? Does anyone know? Somehow, it got to be pretty prestigious, if only cause (since it's a banquet) the people that went to the ceremony got to get drunk there (so they got a lot of people to attend)and because it was deemed a "predictor for Oscar"

I did some reading on last night's favorite "No Country for Old Men"...just reading about it was disturbing! THIS was the best picture? Let me summarize...everybody dies some grisly death. The end. Did anyone here see it? Is it as violent and pointless a movie as it sounds? confused.gif

I just read a great review of last night's show on TV Guide.com Their critic, Matt Roush is pretty good, and his review of last night was spot on what I was thinking. Here's an excerpt:

"In a year when most of the major film contenders fell something short of cultural phenomena, it's up to the host to make the show relevant and dynamic. Jon Stewart had his work cut out for him, with precious little prep time thanks to the writers’ strike, not to mention the preoccupation of an ongoing, historic presidential campaign that inspired some of his best jokes in a hit-or-miss monologue. My favorite: “Normally when you see a black man or woman president, an asteroid is about to hit the Statue of Liberty.”

Maybe this wasn’t the best year to enlist Stewart, who like most comics is only as good as the material he’s given to work with. (On politics, he’s a master; on movies, not so much. The Atonement/Yom Kippur joke a case in point.) At the risk of disagreeing with my distinguished Cheers & Jeers colleague, I felt Stewart’s brand of aloof, self-mocking irony — “Let’s take a moment to congratulate ourselves” — fell a bit flat in the cavernous Kodak. I found myself missing the warmth and spontaneity of last year’s host, Ellen DeGeneres. Or, as is often the case, the irrepressible showmanship of a Billy Crystal, the gold standard of modern-day Oscar hosts.

Stewart opened the show by acknowledging how tough the last few months had been in Hollywood: “The fight is over, so tonight, welcome to the makeup sex.” Was it good for him? For them? For us? I wish. Instead, we got lots of montages (and even send-ups of montages) intended to pay homage to 80 years of Oscar movie love. But many of those only reminded us how much more exciting the speeches, the hosts — and, honestly, the caliber of movie star — were back in the day."

skinny_tom (aka boney)
After watching the Oscars for the firt time in my life I have a question??????

dopeslap.gifconfused.gifdopeslap.gifconfused.gifdopeslap.gifconfused.gif

Whip

Who's Oscar? confused.gif

I'm not too elitest to say that I watched most of it. I love pop culture, and the Oscars are right in the think of that.

Pretty much, since lately, most of the best picture nominees are movies a vast majority of people have never seen, and wouldn't have heard of if they weren't nominated (with the exception this year of Juno, which got passed over for everything at the ceremony).

Well, except for Best Original Screenplay. It was a good movie, but that's probably the award it deserved. Ellen Page was excellent, but she was in a tough category.

I did some reading on last night's favorite "No Country for Old Men"...just reading about it was disturbing! THIS was the best picture? Let me summarize...everybody dies some grisly death. The end. Did anyone here

Juno was the only of the Best Picture noms I saw. However, my whole family but me saw "No Country" and loved it. I still have to get out and see it.

I like pop culture too, which is not only why I watched it, but know enough about past ceremonies to know I didn't like last night's as much! smirk.gif

I just don't think most of the movies up for best picture last night qualify as "popular" culture! (maybe popular in the industry!) smile.gif

I didn't forget about Juno's one award, it just seemed like No Country for Old Men needed a forklift to get all it's hardware out of there.

Having not seen it, and not planning to (I hate grisly, violent movies), I can't really comment on Javier Bardem's performance, but I will say I really liked Phillip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" and was rooting for him (though I knew that Bardem had so much momentum, he was pretty much a lock to win last night). smirk.gif

Having not seen it, and not planning to (I hate grisly, violent movies), I can't really comment on Javier Bardem's performance, but I will say I really liked Phillip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" and was rooting for him (though I knew that Bardem had so much momentum, he was pretty much a lock to win last night).

Well, the Coens do often tend to be brutal.

As for PSH, I think the biggest problem is that he's always so good, that inhabiting a good character is a movie that was only somewhat good but not excellent just didn't do it. Of course, that doesn't explain Laura Linney from "The Savages", which didn't get universal raves (and in which her brother was played by PSH.)

I just don't think most of the movies up for best picture last night qualify as "popular" culture! (maybe popular in the industry!)

But I think who won, who's hosting, and how the show went is part of pop culture. I don't watch every year, and this year I missed the first 30 minutes and watched with the help of TiVo.

I need to get out and see "No Country" and "There Will Be Blood"... The latter so I can finally laugh along with the milkshake jokes.

and this year I missed the first 30 minutes and watched with the help of TiVo.

I missed the first 10 minutes; did John Stewart do anything funny/brilliant then?

I thought the show was on at 5, and when that was just red carpet arrivals, I figured it must be on at 6 and went to go make myself som dinner. When I got back, we were already 10 minutes in. Oh well. smirk.gif

I missed the first 10 minutes; did John Stewart do anything funny/brilliant then?

What I meant was that I missed the first 30 minutes, but I watched the rest of it thanks to the buffer. (I ran out to run some errands while I waited for it to queue up.)

As for this:

10042137A~Jack-Klugman-Posters.jpg

I watched this Oscar once because he was my graduation speaker at college. He'd just some surgery on his vocal cords, so it wasn't the most beautiful speech in the world...

Matthau was on with Lemmon during one of the many, many -- did I say many? -- restrospectives they used to fill time last night.

I thought the show was on at 5, and when that was just red carpet arrivals, I figured it must be on at 6 and went to go make myself som dinner. When I got back, we were already 10 minutes in. Oh well. smirk.gif

Another difference vis a vis "pop culture".

Maybe why this stuff sometimes plays better on the Left Coast.

Over here, by 9 pm, the goose was cooked. No real incentive to stay up later than normal (we get up at 2 am your time eek.gif) and throw the week a curve.

The movie industry and production methods are changing.

Time will tell. crazy.gif

I did some reading on last night's favorite "No Country for Old Men"...just reading about it was disturbing! THIS was the best picture? Let me summarize...everybody dies some grisly death. The end. Did anyone here see it? Is it as violent and pointless a movie as it sounds?

Can't speak about the movie, but I read the book. Outstanding book. It's violent, but not in a Hollywood-cartoonish way. And to some extent it's pointless, although that's the point. And not everybody dies.

It's one of those books that you're almost afraid to see the movie because you don't want their external images ruining your internal images. But I have to say that my internal images from the book are pretty Coen-esque anyway.

I'm not too elitest to say that I watched most of it. I love pop culture, and the Oscars are right in the think of that.

Interesting typo there, Greg! Though if they were really in the cold, hard, calculating "think" of it, they'd give more awards to popular movies. Or maybe they're just trying to get people to see the less popular "important films".

I read "No Country..." and had to see how the Coen's did it. While there was lots of violence, there were some powerful underlying themes. To me, the key was the Tommy Lee Jones character saying to the world "the complexity of life is making time pass me by," plus a powerful dose of the "bad guys are smarter than the good guys."

It's a hard movie to get out of your mind.

Jim

I kind of see the Oscar's as a nod to those artists and studios who have gone out on a limb to produce worthwhile art . . . for art's sake . . . and not just another damn sequel of some other remake of some "blockbuster" full of sex and violence that passes for "pop culture" these days. The latter is the sort of crap that keeps the lights on as that's what the public seems to be willing to pay money for--the former is kind of like the "pro bono" work that law firms are required to do to show that they're not just shallow, money grubbing, soulless blood suckers preying on the gullible public. tongue.gif

Did I say that out loud? lmao.gif

the former is kind of like the "pro bono" work that law firms are required to do to show that they're not just shallow, money grubbing, soulless blood suckers preying on the gullible public.

The states are all over the map, but in California, lawyers (and law firms) are not required to do pro bono work. Lawyers do it because they want to. Of course, that protects the "gullible public" from those who would take advantage of them.

I use to review movies for my college newspaper, and I am a big movie buff. No Country for Old Men was a superbly crafted film, with a level of violence that was just enough to make me uncomfortable. The moment I saw it, I knew it would win best picture because this is the type of film the academy loves. There Will be Blood was a bit of a disappointment, I could have made it better, although Daniel Day Lewis put in the performance of his life and definitely deserved his best actor award. Michael Clayton was, IMHO, the best film of the year and it was passed over entirely. American Gangster was another superb movie that was panned by the academy.

Archived