IGNORED

Downloading multiple routes from 2610?

DavidEBSmith

I already reported this to Garmin, but is anybody else seeing this problem? Setup is SP 2610 with 4.20 firmware, MapSource 6.5. I have 3 routes saved in the 2610: A from B, C from D, E from F. If I download the routes from the 2610 into MapSource, I get A from B, A from B, A from B (the last one being munged up). G7toWin says that the same waypoints are being returned for each of the routes.

I've seen some quirks under 4.20, but not this one. Are the routes in question ones you created on the unit, as opposed to uploaded from Mapsource?

Have you tried to upload some routes to the 2610, and then download them to Mapsource?

There's a pretty good forum dedicated to 26x0 technical issues here.

Some suggest getting outta beta and "upgrading" to 3.90.

Doesn't seem to matter if they're created on the SP or MapSource, uploaded then downloaded.

It's not a real big deal, I can get them into MapSource one at a time with a little work, then back to the SP. We'll see what Garmin says. (I'm also seeing the rename bug and the DENVER FROM K?????? A?? bug with this firmware, so I'm hoping they're working diligently on 4.30)

Garmin's response was to install 3.90 as 4.20 "has a few know issues" [sic].

I also sent them a request for enhancement to provide a wide, single-line tab that has "Speed Direction Time" on it, in addition to (or instead of) the narrow 2-line "Speed Direction Time" and the wide 2-line "Speed Direction Time Address" tabs. We'll see what happens.

Just before the end of the last rebate offer. I haven't actually had it out in the car yet, since the only vehicle I've been using for the past 2 weeks is the snowblower, and I think I can find my way up and down the driveway without a GPS.

I don't know what functionality 4.20 has (if any) that 3.90 doesn't that you would lose. And if you downgrade, you can't get 4.20 back. The bugs that I know about in 4.20 are

- Downloading multiple routes doesn't work

- Renaming a route on the 2610 crashes the unit

- Under some circumstances, if you create a route on the unit, it picks the name of the street as the name of the endpoint. Apparently if you have the maps loaded for that end point, it will read the address from the maps in upper and lower case as, for example, "N Kedvale Ave". But the unit doesn't use lower case in waypoint names, so it displays it as "N K?????? A??". (Then when you try to fix the name by renaming it, it crashes).

None of these strike me as real show-stoppers. You can work around the first one by downloading the first route from the 2610 to MapSource, deleting it, downloading the next one and saving it, etc., and then reloading them one at a time. You can work around the second and third by renaming the routes in MapSource. Personally, I think I'll leave 4.20 loaded for now.

Instead of making a route, I just loaded waypoints. So far no crashes. I can rename the waypoints also. Sounds like I don't know enough to get into trouble yet.

• 1 month later...
Personally, I think I'll leave 4.20 loaded for now.

There is a 4.30 firmware update available (in Germany) for the BMW Navigator II (aka 2610) that is reported to work perfectly with the 2610.

I'm going to wait for a few more Yea votes before uploading, but it purports to fix the nitpickety issues under 4.20:

Changes from 4.20 to 4.30:

Problems Corrected:

1) Changing a saved route's name could cause a reboot.

2) Find Exit feature did not show the complete list of services for a given exit.

3) In some rare situations, extra text was shown after the end of textual turn instructions.

4) Searching for an intersection of two identically named streets always returned "None Found".

5) Corrected Italian translation of "Public Sport Airport".

6) Odometer value displayed an incorrect value when configured to small narrow tabs if the odometer value exceeded 999.

7) The small address overlay tab didn't wrap to two lines.

8) Corrected identification of Navigator II in MapSource.

Damn, I can't find any record of 4.2. I'm running 3.9 since before the RA Rally and just for grins and giggles just tried to dowload the routes that were in it with no problem.

They shipped yours with 4.2 loaded? Strange that they still only have 3.9 up on the support website. This is probably the longest I have gone without upgrading firmware, and I'm not complaining - I haven't had a bit of trouble with 3.9.

They shipped yours with 4.2 loaded?
4.2 has been on an extended beta release for new 26x0 units shipped the past few months. Garmin hasn't provided any details of "improvements" over 3.9. The earlier version seems to work better than the newer.

If you d/l the Motorrad 4.3 s/w to a SP2610, i.e. not a Navigator II, what version does the 2610 show?

I'm just wondering about that "branch thing...

Maybe it does not really load 4.3.

Eric

Oops, I meant to post that question over here --> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=86

Specifically in the thread --> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25896

DavidEBSmith

There is a 4.30 firmware update available (in Germany) for the BMW Navigator II (aka 2610) that is reported to work perfectly with the 2610.

Yah, I saw that, but I figured I'd either wait for the official Garmin release or let some other people be guinea pigs (nudge-nudge). I am curious about the Italian mistranslation of "Public Sport Airport" though. "Aeroporto pubblico di sport"? Losing the "L" in the Italian version doesn't have the same effect that it does in the English. blush.gif

(nudge-nudge)

No problems, and I didn't have to go to Kansas.

fourthree.gifnotkansas.gif

I have a strong suspicion that the four different firmware version offered for the 2610, 2620, 2650 and 2660 are actually the same wolf in four sheep's clothes.

DavidEBSmith

I have a strong suspicion that the four different firmware version offered for the 2610, 2620, 2650 and 2660 are actually the same wolf in four sheep's clothes.

From doing a quick peek at the text strings in the update file and seeing "StreetPilot 2610", "2620", "2650", and "2660", I have the same suspicion.

If nothing else, at least we know what 4.20 was supposed to do:

Changes from 3.90 to 4.20:

Problems Corrected:

1) Improved synchronization of spoken and displayed turn distance.

2) Corrected shutdown problem that occurred when saved route names contained the ß (ss) character.

3) The "Allow U-Turns" setting sometimes resulted in unnecessary u-turns.

4) Improved Dutch translation of the word "Minor".

5) Seasonally closed roads are now used if the road is open during the date that the route is created. Previously, all seasonal roads were avoided.

On the way to Daytona the 2610 w 3.90 tried to send us into inexplicable u-turns at a couple of spots (across the turnaround in a divided highway and back again at the next one), so I wonder if that was a manifestation of #3.

I spoke with Garmin today about my 2610. There are some bugs in the software that comes in the unit. I backdated my software to Ver 3.9 that is on the Garmin website. I lost some of the new improvements, but I can now change a route name with the unit turning the screen off frown.gif I haven't discovered the other bugs that Ver. 4.* has.

The person at Garmin was well aware of the ver 4.* bugs and said a new version would be posted to their site soon, he thought within a week or two.

If nothing else, at least we know what 4.20 was supposed to do...
According to another thread:
My understanding is that Garmin have done something with the firmware that stops the buttons on the BMW mount from working with a SP2610
I'm thinking that 4.20 also disabled support for the BMW mount. Very strange the way Garmin slipped it into release without a simultaneous firmware upgrade.
How do you grab those screen shots?
A bunch of programs do it, I've been using Garmin's xImage.

MattS:

How do you grab those screen shots?
A bunch of programs do it, I've been using Garmin's xImage.
I heard about that application, but I don't see the Street Pilot 26XX listed. Are you saying it does work on an 2610?

Many thanks,

Eric

Matts. Yes it works, download XImage, install it, plug your GPS into the USB (or Serial), click on XImage to execute, click on 'Find Unit' and presto.

Jurgen

• 4 months later...
...I think I'll leave 4.20 loaded for now...

What's the consensus? I got sufficiently annoyed with 4.20/4.30 that I'm back with 3.90 ... wondering if this is the endgame for a resolution of some of the issues in the 4.xx firmware.

DavidEBSmith

Man, you're behind the times. 4.30 solved all the problems I had with 4.20. If you're waiting for another rev, I'm not so sure you'll get one.

behind the times

Not really ... I had since upgraded to 4.30, but I'm seeing the same problem as I did in 4.20, namely that a route recalculated on the fly will incorporate parts of the route before the recalc, whether or not it still makes sense to take those parts. It's usually something I see around here ... I don't know if it's the terribly complicated geography of the megalopolis, but I'll see in the next few days if 3.90 can handle it any better.

Archived