IGNORED

Question About Oregon Hwy 242 (Belknap Springs-Sisters)

marcopolo

After the UnRally in John Day, I'll be spending two weeks exploring the west coast with my wife who's flying in to Eugene. I've looked at rides at the Oregon Motorcyclist website (http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/index.php). We want to ride east from Eugene OR and do Hwy 242 from Belknap to Sisters.

My question: on the website there is a rider comment quoting a May 26th story from the Register Guard about highway closures for two months. It appears to be an old story, but can anyone confirm that this work has been done and that we should have no problems taking this route this July?

Old story, Mark, from last season.

However, it is always closed in winter, usually opening in late spring. Your best bet is to check the ODOT website or this board before you hit the area.

Also, Belkap Springs may have their outdoor grill open in May. A nice spot.

Hey Mark,

Yes, old story. I put the year in the excerpt from the story to remove any confusion. I also put a link at the bottom of the ride report for site visitors to easily check on the availability of this fantastic road.

Tripcheck.com is the site you want for Oregon road closures.

TripCheck for McKenzie Pass

The pass usually open up in June. I've seen it closed as late as early July. Depends on the snow pack. So far this year, we have very deep snow pack. As late as the UnRally is, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never seen it closed that late.

Steve

hanks for that Steve (great site, by the way. No doubt a lot of work). We're also using it for the route west from Eugene to Waldport. We were to have done it last summer but a final drive failure diverted us south to Salt Lake City. Once repaired, we headed across Nevada to San Francisco to get back on plan.

Bob, thanks for your suggestion (great pics). I must be blind though -- I can't find Hwy 58 connecting to the 126 (126 is already part of our day ride loop out of Eugene. We head northwest once we hit Sisters, head to Santiam Junction, then down the 126 to the 242). Where's the 58?

Mark:

Robert Aufderheide Memorial Drive

It connects Oakridge/Westfir on 58 to Blue River on 126. I think it is marked as NF-19, but I can't find my map right now. I stumbled on it in 2006 while working my way north from Medford to Portland. Looked good on the AAA map with lots of red dots along side. Twists and turns along the (I think) North Fork of the Willamette for the first half. The last section south of 126 runs along the side of Cougar Reservoir with a steep descent to 126. I wanted to do 242 (MacKenzie Pass) west to east because a friend told me that was the more fun direction and that road suited my needs.

I can't really comment on the ride beacause I was in solid rain from 58 to 126 with strong winds covering the road in pine needles. Slippery as snot. Rain stopped by MacKenzie Pass and it was major fun!!!

Mike Cassidy

Got it now. Thanks all. For some reason it was hard to locate on Garmin Mapsource (I think it thought parts of it were unpaved). Much easier to spot on the tried and true paper map.

Archived