IGNORED

It's time to donate blood again ?

roydog007

Current Blood Supply

The following are the inventory level percentages based on the desired seven-day supply:

2.5% of O+

0.4% of O-

3.8% of A+

3.7% of A-

1.9% of B+

8.1% of B-

15.2% of AB+

8.1% of AB-

A critically low level is a red blood cell inventory less than a one-day supply.

A one day inventory is the lowest level of red blood cell inventory in the Region's desirable range.

After September 11, 2001, optimal inventory levels for the Region changed from a three day inventory to a seven-day inventory of red blood cells.

http://arcblood.redcross.org/new_site/current_supply.htm

I'm not being negative, I am B-Negative, they call me on a regular basis so I'm off to donate. Anybody Else ??? wave.gif

Anybody Else ???

Well, I used to give on a regular basis. Then, I can't remember when (ten years ago?), I was disqualified due to my deployment during the Gulf War. I haven't been able to donate blood since, but I also haven't checked to see if this restriction continues or has been lifted. Maybe somebody knows here.

Last summer I was invited by the Red cross to my 10Th Gallon lunch.

I give every 2 months.

It's part of my American Duty.

It's also part of other readers of this sites Duty.

So get down there and do it..

Besides where else can you get free donuts tongue.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Anybody Else ???

Well, I used to give on a regular basis. Then, I can't remember when (ten years ago?), I was disqualified due to my deployment during the Gulf War. I haven't been able to donate blood since, but I also haven't checked to see if this restriction continues or has been lifted. Maybe somebody knows here.

You could call them and ask. They might even say on their website (check my sig line).

I went in a couple of days ago, and unfortunately I've been deferred for a year: I was in Cancun for Christmas, which is not a problem, but the day trip to Chichen Itza left them concerned about malaria. frown.gif

I don't give every two months to the day (I procrastinate sometimes), but I do give pretty regularly. I think I'm up over three gallons now.

I checked their website, but it wasn't very specific. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'd really like to get back into the system. It is important.

That's an interesting article, Roy, but it's from 1993. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I remember giving blood up until about the turn of the century. I'm still going to give the local Red Cross a call tomorrow and find out for sure.

Thanks for looking. smile.gif

Oh yah. They call me often. I'm O-.

But I'm expecting a call today to schedule a donation to use during my shoulder replacement surgery. Figure after all I've given for others, I can give one to myself. grin.gif

I lived in the UK during the 80s so I'm exempt due to mad cow disease.

Pop back over here, we'll happily take your blood thumbsup.gif

Andy

Got a Valentine card from the local Blood Bank. thumbsup.gif

I'm up to a full tank on the GT. tongue.gif

Going this afternoon.

Done.

Our Blood Bank often gives "rewards", this time it's a coupon for a free Cinabon. tongue.gif

yummm lurker.gif

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Our blood drive uses a different technique that I've tried the past two times and works well. They hook you to a machine that takes your blood, extracts the part thats needed and returns blood and saline solution back to your body. It cycles 5-times doing the same thing. They claim the fluid level in your body stays the same, and they get the equivalent of 2 pints using this technique. Works for me.

I go to the Red Cross donor center by Cal Poly Pomona.

They got juices, cappucinos, cookies, raisins and fruit at the little snack bar on the way out. I had a cappuccino this time.

Plus they gave me a 10 dollar off coupon to Mimi's Cafe. Nice perk for something I was going to do anyway grin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Our blood drive uses a different technique that I've tried the past two times and works well. They hook you to a machine that takes your blood, extracts the part thats needed and returns blood and saline solution back to your body. It cycles 5-times doing the same thing. They claim the fluid level in your body stays the same, and they get the equivalent of 2 pints using this technique. Works for me.

I did that once at the local place. It's nice because you only go in half as often. OTOH, when they return the filtered blood to your body, they add something (citrate, I think they said, an anti-coagulant or something), and it made my lips tingle for a few minutes on each cycle. It's expected, and they have you chew on a Tums tablet to counteract it, but it's still kind of unsettling. Still, I'd do it again, since it means half the trips, but they don't seem to offer this option all the time. confused.gif

Archived