IGNORED

For Leslie........

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

...... and everybody else who showed an interest in my pictures over the past months.

Leslie changed me from a 'member' into what you see now under my mugshot...... I had a big chuckle about that and am honored to have a nickname here ! So I thought it only fitting to show you some more of our POLDER landscape.... although not from a bike's perspective.

These pics were taken in the summer of 2002 when my dear friend Dick invited us to a trip in his new boat. Dick lives in Zaandam, near Amsterdam, where the old north-Dutch polder area begins, stretching out all the way north.

It were the small canals, wetlands and swamps in this area that stopped the Spanish attackers from making Holland Spanish..... our ancestors fought an 80-year long guerilla war here, using large poles to jump over the canals in their hit-and-run fights. The Spanish soldiers would just 'sink' with their body armor, guns and horses smirk.gif

14589607-M.jpg

The ;captain', my good friend Dick, one of my oldest friends too. I started my IT career with him some 27 years ago smile.gif

14589608-M.jpg

'Twisties' on the water.... lots of surprising bends in the older canals, and fun from the low vantage point !

14589609-M.jpg

Mills, big AND small, all over this area. Although almost none of them are used anymore, many are still 'in action' as part of a nationwide program to keep them in good shape.

14589596-M.jpg

14589597-M.jpg

Ah, yes, something else we have a LOT of in Holland....... black-and-white (milk) cows !

14589598-M.jpg

The only way to get around in this area if you do not have a boat..... use bridges ! By the way, this whole area is fun riding too..... I already left many tiremarks on them little roads and bridges...

14589599-M.jpg

Little canals and large expanses of water, an ever changing world of great views. Although Holland is the third most densely populated country in the WORLD, one would not think so looking at these pictures, just 10 miles from Amsterdam !! cool.gif

14589600-M.jpg

In many of the villages here there are more canals than roads or streets... so the boat gets you to more places than the bike !

14589601-M.jpg

Hmmmm.... well..... yes, even the canals get 'busy' at times... espwcially with this kind of weather !!

14589602-M.jpg

14589603-M.jpg

14589604-M.jpg

A view as the 'old masters' saw it too.. and painted it on many occasions.

14589605-M.jpg

And for those who know me....... me in some kind of transport vehicle means.... I HAVE to drive/ride/fly/steer it !!! grin.gifgrin.gif

14589606-M.jpg

Thank all for watching and thanks Les for the fun name !!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Francois

So, you dropped me a PM saying you didn't have time for a ride, huh? Too busy, huh?

Ah well...I understand! tongue.gif

[Nice pictures, Francois! And you avoided those roundabouts then, didn't you?]

great pics Francois, thanks for posting. Now, on the last photo, those two green cans on the dash... Were they Heineken or Grolsch?

Ooops! do I have a fixation? wink.gif

What I really love is that you seem to enjoy the beauty and picturesque character of your country as much as we do from our distant perspective. We so often become jaded about what's scenic in our own backyards.

You do have a wonderful spirit. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Ah, yes, something else we have a LOT of in Holland....... black-and-white (milk) cows !

14589598-M.jpg

So what do you call this type of cow? Growing up in England we called them Fresians but here in the US they seem to be called Holsteins.
Francois_Dumas

Hmmm, tough question Bob. I am many things, but not a farmer crazy.gif We 'city dwellers' call them Fries Stamboekvee, Freesians I would say. The region I live in is called West-Friesland, and more to the northeast is the province of Friesland.

Come to think of it, I think I know more about my RT than I do about cows, really.... dopeslap.gif

Holstein is a region in Germany and the cows are related of course, although the black-and-white ones are not seen much anywhere south of our region. I think they like cold and wet climates blush.gif

Now, how scientific of an answer is that !? grin.gif

To make ,atters worse, I found this for you !!!

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/dairy/DIPIndex.htm clap.gif

Have fun !

Francois

Francois, your cows were introduced in Argentina in the late 1800s and they keep their black & white hide, but they have developed into 600/650 kg animals and a 20 liter/day production isn't rare. There they are called Holando-Argentino. They are used solely for dairy.

Francois, your cows were introduced in Argentina in the late 1800s and they keep their black & white hide, but they have developed into 600/650 kg animals and a 20 liter/day production isn't rare. There they are called Holando-Argentino. They are used solely for dairy.
Way back in my youth I used to work at an agricultural research farm in England, on this farm there was an old manor house where we had some really good parties. On the walls there were many pictures of cows from the 1800s and earlier, they were all significantly bigger than modern days cows, I suspect the Argentinian cows did not get bigger, the Euro cows were bred smaller. Also on this farm they had a machine that turned grass into quite palatable milk! (And I don't mean a cow)
Francois_Dumas

@Marcello

Must have been a good export article early on :-) (Cows, I mean).

@Dave

Thanks Dave. It DOES help fend off dpressing winter feelings, doesn't it? Although, frankly, I love fall and winter myself...... most of the time.

@Bob

I will not repeat your information in public, could be the downfall of all dairy farmers... a milk-machine !!!??? Yikes ! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Francois thumbsup.gif

Come to think of it, I think I know more about my RT than I do about cows, really.... dopeslap.gif

Francois,

You are going to be a cow expert after this:

Here is some info on dairy breeds from our friends at 4H

This has more dairy info with cow technical data

This one is kinda cute

....and if you're not tired of cows yet, here's the motherlode of all things "cow"

Enjoy....there will be a quiz tomorrow :-)

I will not repeat your information in public, could be the downfall of all dairy farmers... a milk-machine !!!??? Yikes ! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif
They don't have to worry, it wasn't very efficient and didn't run for long without breaking, I think it was some guy's pHD project, it's long gone now. The farm was Rothamsted which is the oldest ag experimental staion in the world, founded by the bloke who "invented" superphosphates as a fertilizer.

NASA recently sent a number of Holsteins into orbit for experimental purposes. They called it the herd shot round the world.

ba boom...

Francois_Dumas

Haha !! I think 'our' cows would fit perfectly !

Now, how did I manage to become a cow-expert instead of an RT rider here!? confused.gif

Archived