IGNORED

Bored? How about going outside to see the lunar eclipse?

Bullett

It's a Guuberman plot I tell ya!

They don want us watching the shooot down of the winged bird so they created this here little dee-ver-shunnn.

I tell ya, I'm a noid.

If your a noid, then I guess were A Pair o' 'noids crazy.gif

Hope we have clear sky's for this.

last evening there was an excellent pass of ISS (and perhaps STS-122) but it was overcast frown.gif

Looks like we're due for a lunar eclipse on 2/21/08. Might as well plan to go outside and see it. Linky

Edit: Bummer. The forecast here for Thursday night is cloudy.

i wOULD go outside for the eclipse...however, outside just now is around -10 degrees...

(I guess I COULD run...) lmao.gifgrin.gif

2/20 is the date.

Depends on where in this world you live.

Some will see it on Thursday the 21st.

I likely will not see it at all due to cloud cover frown.gif

On that shoot down, notice they are using a heat seeking missle on a cold target?....Schmart!!!

With the blacked out moon we should see the miss as clear as day! Or it will be a spectacular site to behold. A veritable explosion of highly poisonous fuels sprayed about the heavens to light up as it burn on re-entry!

Hope the boys in the International Lab have the cameras a the ready.

I believe in Salt Lake City the date is 2/20 which is where the question came from! grin.gif

And the provided link gave a viewing date of 2-21 & the times in UT.

On that shoot down, notice they are using a heat seeking missle on a cold target?....Schmart!!!

With the blacked out moon we should see the miss as clear as day! Or it will be a spectacular site to behold. A veritable explosion of highly poisonous fuels sprayed about the heavens to light up as it burn on re-entry!

Hope the boys in the International Lab have the cameras a the ready.

My understanding on the shoot down missile is that it's been modified to (hopefully) compensate for this.

Also the shoot down will come after the lame bird has made a pass in the sunshine to heat it up a bit.

The actual impact (hopefullyhopefuly) will not be visible but there is speculation that the reentry of the debris will.

Ummm UT is not Utah Time grin.gif

Now you tell me!!! dopeslap.gif

It's been overcast all evening, so no eclipse for me. bncry.gif

Hope somebody got some pictures. lurker.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

Clear skies here. Saw it. Yawned. A lunar eclipse is not that impressive to me, sorry to say. Saw one from a hot tub in Moab back in '03 too, on the way to Torrey. Just a fuzzy shadow blotting out half the moon, looks like it might as well be a cloud.

Me, I'm looking forward to the next accessible total solar eclipse, about eight years away. By "accessible," I mean the zone of totality (little black dot in image below) will pass by just south of here, through Illinois and Kentucky; I plan to make a trip down there to see it. thumbsup.gif

Solar_eclipse_animation_%282017-Aug-21%29.gif

Jeez Mitch,

You seem to be suffering from a severe lack of boredom up there in good ole Michigan.

Stay home and be bored more so you can appreciate these things more.

Jan

lmao.gif

Me, I'm looking forward to the next accessible total solar eclipse, about eight years away. By "accessible," I mean the zone of totality (little black dot in image below) will pass by just south of here, through Illinois and Kentucky; I plan to make a trip down there to see it.

Definitely put this on your list of things you must do. I saw the one in 1979, and it was absolutely worth going to Manitoba in February to see. It brings out a primal terror when the sun goes away in the middle of the day. Many people travel halfway around the world to see a total solar eclipse, and it's worth it, but to miss one in your own back yard would be criminal.

Well, I thought it was fun to watch. Heck, even my wife, who shuns all things 'science-ish', thought it was neat

Despite it only being 8 degrees F, I took out my little 5" Newtonian scope, and my 20x80 binocs and had a swell time.Besides seeing the moon, we also got a good look at Saturn and some of it's moons, the 'Trapezium' in the Orion nebula, and a few other goodies.

A couple walked by (why they were out walking at 10p in those temps, I have no idea) and we offered them a peak at Saturn through the scope and the moon through the binocs. Odd part was when the husband asked what was causing the eclipse tongue.gif When I responded "Us", then further explained 'the Earth' he seemed dubious.

By the way, My First Gear HT Overpants w/liner, and my First Gear Kilimanjaro with Gerbings (not plugged in, of course) performed very well; I was only mildly hypothermic after 2hrs ;-)

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

See Attachment: Here's a shot of the Eclipse looking East over Lake Tahoe, the lights over the Mountains to the East are Carson City. The star just above the moon is Regulus in the Constellation LEO, and the Planet at the lower left is Saturn.

1112512006_998829-LUNARE1.JPG.cd3052c159d19c2ae8d368a3c2a5fc5c.JPG

Darn the blasted cloud cover anyway-we just never got a good view this time around. We were able to sort of watch it, but the moon kept disappearing behind the clouds. bncry.gif

We never did get to see Saturn and Regulus as they just weren't bright enough to punch through the cloud cover. Mark didn't even try to take pictures this time.

He did take some nice ones of the last eclipse. These two were taken as it was coming out of totality.

lunareclipse5oa3.jpg

lunareclipse21tj8.jpg

Archived