IGNORED

Ride Smart April 4 - 6

randy

Have you ever felt like you've reached a plateau and want to reach the next level in your command of a motorcycle? Ever followed someone and said, "I'd like to ride that smoothly and intentionally and in command? Have you been through the basic MSF, but have no intention of racing or going to a track school (yet, anyway), but want to move up beyond the level you might be stuck at? (This would be a good place to pause and read Jeff Hughes' article "Of Serious Intent.")

In the United States, the BRC and ERC are useful but very elementary. They are about controlling the motorcycle in the most basic way. RidingSmart is an attempt to bridge that early learning by refining control techniques with an exclusive emphasis on what role your body plays in controlling the motorcycle. We'll cover six components during the day, and each builds on the next. Beyond RidingSmart, there are great options for professional training.

Here's some more background on what makes RidingSmart unique:

a) It's meant to fill the void in mid-level skill development. Your only other options are to work with a skilled rider individually, get professional tutoring, or sign up for a class. Otherwise there's precious little in the way of good options.

b) This is designed for real world riding. In fact, the instruction takes place on the street, not at a track.

c) The instruction is free.

So that's the vision: mid-level training to fill a gap in rider development. Given what we are trying to accomplish, what are the requirements to participate?

a) You must be open to critique of your riding, both from the coaches and your fellow participants.

b) You must be open to give others feedback. This is not like a ride where you notice something and can't decide whether or not to comment to a fellow rider. You are expected to observe and speak.

c) You must already ride competently--in other words, you should be well beyond the BRC and ERC and learned how to control the bike competently in traffic.

d) You must accept complete responsibility for yourself, your bike, and your actions during the entire program.

There we are. Simple but quite intentional. It'll be fun but it will also be tiring and hard work.

Currently we are planning a Ride Smart event in either Maggie Valley, or Waynesville, NC (they are only about 15 miles apart we are just finding the best motel)

If you want to participate, just sign up by answering this thread. We take 10 students. Within about 3 weeks we will provide the specific Motel location.

The instructors for this ride smart are as follows

Alan Donnel

Chris Kinney

Joel Gross

Randy Etheridge

This should be a great event. We have a great road picked out for the training, and we have two video camera bikes for documenting our improvement.

So if this is what you have been looking for, and you are ready to commit the time and resources to participate then please sign up below.

As a summary,

You will be expected to arrive in Maggie Valley, NC by 6pm on April 4.

There will be a dinner Friday night 6pm - 9m (approximate times)

Class time is Saturday 8am - 5pm

Saturday dinner 6pm - 9m

Once we have all 10 sport filled and the motel chosen, each participant will get a personal e-mail from me with additional detailed instructions.

Looking forward to a great Ride Smart class in April.

Motorman wants to be an instructor. How can I become one?? Like the idea of continuing training. Will push the idea of Ride Smart riding idea. thumbsup.gif

hey awesome guys, we have three

John Blakeslee

David Adair

John Trojan

room for 7 more clap.gif

I can assure you, we have a great motel, and a wonderful road all picked out. We have three camera bikes signed up. the lesson's will be great, and the video will be very insightfull.

Pass the word, let's get 7 more !!

The instructors for this ride smart are as follows

Alan Donnel

Chris Kinney

Joel Gross

Randy Etheridge

Wow, Heavy hitters.

Chris or Joel, do you guys think I should take this class?

ok, we now have 8 students. only 2 spots left. just a little update. when we have 10 students, or Next Friday (which ever comes first) I will post the motel information and I will be sending each of you some pre-reading material and we will gather some personal information.

just a reminder, you must be in Maggie Valley by 6pm at the latest. Dinner will start around 6:30pm. We will be finished by 8pm.

Saturday will be 8am - 8pm.

Sunday will be your day to head home.

looking forward to seeing everyone, and this will be a great ride smart event.

We have 8 students. only 2 spots left. Just a reminder, this week (probably Thursday )I will be sending out an e-mail to each student. This e-mail will contain Motel instructions, pre-reading material and a request for some individual information.

A just a reminder, you must be in Maggie Valley by 6pm at the latest. Dinner will start around 6:30pm. We will be finished by 8pm.

Saturday will be 8am - 8pm.

Sunday will be your day to head home.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and this will be a great ride smart event.

Hey everyone, we still have room for 2 more students. this is a great location, and will have some awesome very experienced leaders. Pass the word around, let's see if we can get two more students.

see above: I would have signed up earlier but, the bmw site would not let me log0n/signup. Sorry it was so late.

Thank you.

Darren

John Blakeslee

David Adair

John Trojan

Bob Beale

Jan Beale

Ken Lavine

Harvey Kaplan

Bob Stommel

Gary Baumgardner

Darren Evans

waiting list

Mike Waldeck

once this event is over and we review the results and assess the response for more RS events, I will decide at that time. stay tuned lmao.gif

this is our very distinquished list of students. We have one spot left. If you have an interest, please contact me, and join us.

John Blakeslee

David Adair

Bob Beale

Jan Beale

Ken Lavine

Harvey Kaplan

Bob Stommel

Gary Baumgardner

Darren Evans

This is our current group of participants.

Bob Beale

Bob Stommel

Darren Evans

Gary Baumgardner

Harvey Kaplan

Jan Beale

John Blakeslee

Ken Lavine

We still have room for 2 more students. Please pass the word around. Maybe you have a riding buddy or a friend returning to riding. We would love to have all 10 spots filled.

Well this ride smart is looking great. We are confirmed at the Ramada Inn, Maggie Valley, NC. This should be a great event. We do have room for one more participant. Please pass the word around, this would be a great way to begin your 2008 riding season.

this is the list of students as of 3/19

Bob Beale

Darren Evans

Gary ????

Gary Baumgardner

Harvey Kaplan

Jan Beale

John Blakeslee

Ken Lavine

Tommy Wood

Bob had to drop out, so we still have room for one more.

I am interested and considering asking to participate.

Are there any prerequisites or requirements?

I'd like more information.

Thanks for your consideration.

BK

Thanks Randy for the PM - clear and simple enough requirements.

Although I am probably unknown to you and you to me

I would like to join you all as the 10th rider.

This type of ride sounds exactly what I have looking for. And I know from past experiences that the folks on this board are of the highest caliber.

I'd be honored to join you for some great riding/learning experiences.

this is our group for April 4. more detailed information to come, but overall we will see everyone on April 4 at 6pm in Maggie Valley, NC This will be a great event.

Barry ????

Bob Beale

Darren Evans

Gary ????

Gary Baumgardner

Harvey Kaplan

Jan Beale

John Blakeslee

Ken Lavine

Tommy Wood

well we are all set. I think all motel room reservaions are now made, the pre-reading material has been sent out, and the I have received have all the student and teacher information.

That means only 14 days left until we meet in Maggie Valley

thumbsup.gif

One of our students has to work that weekend. so we have an opening for 1 more student. Pass the word around, this is shaping up to be a great event.

If you have any questions, see the first post of this thread or PM me.

Please let me know if one more slot opens up. I can be in Maggie Valley by 6p Fri with no problem!

I'm crossing my fingers that the rain will hold off for you guys...

Have fun, be safe, and learn well.

Archived