IGNORED

Computer security software - which one?, kudos, rants...

kudzu

What computer security software are you using?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having used a bunch of the different available computer software security solutions and finding none really great and many really poor, I have been researching and stewing about the subject lately. The recent effort was precipitated by another gotcha from the security suite that I love to hate, though it has admittedly taken good care of me, right after I renewed the subscription for another year. My research has turned up nothing that is really confidence inspiring, so I am going to stick with the devil I know for the time being.

However, to continue the learning quest, I would be interested in what you are using or have firsthand experience with and your thoughts. Let's begin with a poll to get some feel for who's using what? I have probably overlooked some obvious possibilities. For the purposes of the poll, pick what is closest to what you are using - say, a different title from the same vendor, then you can post explanations, qualifications and comments to your heart's content.

Have at it...

Regards,

Ernie

Love your avatar - that's how I feel realizing Zone Alarm may be the most obvious package I overlooked. It is the one that I have most considered switching to!

Francois_Dumas

You left one of the best out of that list, been using it for years on 4 of my machines without having had any trouble with viruses or other attacks: Avast!

Check out http://www.avast.com And if you only run it on your private PC, it is FREE even.

As for Zone Alarm... it is the package giving the most problems to 'gamers', so it also depends on how you use your machine cool.gif

Thanks Francois, had not known about Avast.

I've been using Panda for a few years at home and at work with good success. There have been a few glitches here and there, but it's been much better than my experiences with the mainstream choices.

Aluminum_Butt

I personally avoid all of the security "suites". They tend to give more functionality than I care about, and are real system pigs.

For antivirus, I use Symantec Antivirus. It handles AV as well as malware roles.

I don't need anti-spam as I use web-based mail.

I don't need a firewall, as I use a hardware firewall, and Windows has one built in anyway. I find that most non-technical users have no idea what to do with the messages about a given program trying to open a port, and just hit OK. Sort of ruins the effectivness...

I have come across malware and spyware that Symantec doesn't handle, in which case I employ good ol' Adaware and Spybot.

So, my vote is Symantec AV (Mcafee is good, too) and a hardware firewall, and avoid all the security suites.

Yes, I was aware of Avast and several other well-respected free individual apps - I intended their inclusion in the "Combination of several freeware apps" category, thinking that most people running them were running separate firewalls, spam filters, etc.

Being lazy and only marginally knowledgeable, I have recently been drawn to the all-in-one suites. They all have their compromises and shortcomings. In earlier times, I used individual apps. Can't say that I ever had a problem, other than just keeping them all tweaked and updated.

Since you commented on ZoneAlarm and the problems for gamers, may I ask your opinion of it, compared to other suites, for old fogey non-gamers?

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,

Ernie

Francois_Dumas

Zone Alarm for some reason seems to 'do' too many things in the background. It has the same arrogance as Norton, McAfee and the likes.. they are VERY intrusive in the system and add a lot of junk you basically don't need.

In addition, they are expensive!

I don't use any suites anymore... stopped using them in my corporate life as well.... and just buy what I need and what does the job.

I run Avast anti-virus (paid version, this is not a freeware tool, only for private persons), a hardware firewall, and the Windows XP firewall is turned on too.

That's it.... minimum intrusion by the anti-virus stuff itself, no viruses, hackers, or spammers coming through for years. The only things ~I need to handle in addition are unsolicited e-mails (because I allow a lot of them) and forum bots trying to register and post on my many forums and blogs.

And yes, gamers matter to me, because that's the business I am in grin.gif

Norton 360 seems to work, got part of the rebate back, cheap buggers are stingy with the checks.

Slows down the process though.Next time I get a new box it will be an Apple/Mac which proponents say doesn't get the virus problems.

I've used both McAfee and Symantec products and had issues with both of them devouring resources.

On various computers around the house now I use Avast or AVG antivirus, and Comodo or Sunbelt Kerio firewall (plus a hardware firewall on the router). They're all free, they all protect about as well as the paid products, and they've been much less obtrusive in operation.

Jerry Johnston

I use the paid version of AVG and won't use Norton anymore because they try to run everything for you (General Mtrs approach) Once you've put Norton on your system you'll have bits of Norton in your registry forever.

I've used the free version of ZoneAlarm for years now and run Spybot - Search & Destroy once or twice a year. No virus program as I do not click on things on the web or in e-mail that I do not know where or who it came from.

All has been well. No viruses and very little, if any, spy- or mal-ware. Knock on wood, everything has been *()(%)*)(%__)(%(&_ N%&(% J J%:LK %JH% JH%IPO*() $*(&@^) _%#)(+_ @ (#_)@(#_@)+_UH:"LKFJ" JF":SJF JFJHF:LKGF :LGK:G :G:G":L"" :L"G J JG HGLG:G:G..........................

grin.gif

Thanks all! Much helpful information. I have to admit, that you have brought me full-circle.

Since it is working and the resource consumption is not especially bothering me, as my computers are not used for anything that really taxes them, I'll stick with Norton 360 until my current subscription expires or I have a problem, then switch to a leaner solution.

This was a worthwile exercise - thanks, again!

So if one looks at the cost of a one year subscription to one's various anti-virus programs. How many years does it take for the cost of AV software to offset the cost of a new Mac? dopeslap.gif

For all the time and energy people put into "securing" their PC's, there are simpler and easier solutions out there. I use both PC's and Mac's (PC is the work machine) and I have to say it sure is nice to NOT worry about viruses and anti-virus s/w. Yes, there is at least one documented virus written specifically for a Mac and Apple continues to send security updates, but there simply aren't enough Mac's in the world to spread the virus. And as many in this thread have noted, AV programs tend to be "pigs" and consume large amounts of system resource. Thus that screaming deal of a PC ends up being quite slow after the AV tools are loaded.

...It has the same arrogance as Norton, McAfee and the likes.. they are VERY intrusive in the system and add a lot of junk you basically don't need.

In addition, they are expensive!

I don't use any suites anymore... stopped using them in my corporate life as well.... and just buy what I need and what does the job...

Francois, you sure have that right, especially the part about being intrusive.

I've been using the free version of AVG for several years. It just quitely does it's job. I haven't had any problems at all since using it. (He says as he knocks on wood.)

Archived