IGNORED

Name of threaded insert

wolcott

Last summer, I took the primary aluminum cover off my Harley and brought it to a machine shop. The threaded end of the clutch cable (with an o-ring on end) enters a female thread in the primary and was worn. The machine shop put in a nice, steel insert in there. 1)Does anyone know what the heck they call that thing? I know it's not a heli-coil.

I'm not familiar with Harley primary covers, but if the cross-section of the material is thin like sheet metal, they may have used a "PEM" nut. Also called a "self-clinching" insert, PEM nuts have a knurled stem that is drawn into the hole from the other side.

995902-pem.jpg

995902-pem.jpg.282ebb86d574a7cc4ff25d4bdbb194a0.jpg

Last summer, I took the primary aluminum cover off my Harley and brought it to a machine shop. The threaded end of the clutch cable (with an o-ring on end) enters a female thread in the primary and was worn. The machine shop put in a nice, steel insert in there. 1)Does anyone know what the heck they call that thing? I know it's not a heli-coil.

Michael, that sounds like a Sportster type set up as the Big Boys use a different cable attachment..

If it is a Sportster then that threaded cable attachment is pretty small in diameter so would require something along the lines of a Heli-Coil to still allow decent meat to remain around the thread insert..

They might not have used an actual Heli-Coil but there are a few other very similar type thread inserts that would work.. Why not just call the shop & ask what they used..

Twisty

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess like twisty said I should call up the dang shop and ask them what the hell they put in there. I have no receipt as it was one of those "cash on the barrel head" jobs. On the original primary the male steel threaded end of the clutch cable threads right into the aluminum threads of the primary- not a good design. It gets worn and starts to leak sports-tran fluid on the floor- and believe it or not but my harley doesn't usually mark it's spot. cool.gif Wow, can't believe it, I actually found a way to post a picture!

996211-IMG_0033.JPG.778da95d81c5bac3c17013f7a9b7a73f.JPG

Archived