IGNORED

Knee support recommendations?

Shaman97

Luckily, I don't have any knee trauma, and I don't have a history of knee problems - no pain to my knees at all.

However, at times when I am working, lifting heavy objects off the ground(my body, for example smile.gif) I can feel a real strain on my knees - no pain, but I know if I were to push it too far, there could be trouble.

Does anyone have experience with different knee supports? What works, what doesn't? What's the difference between the different designs?

Thanks for your input.

Bob

I suspect it depends on the source of your pain. For example, my patellae don't track correctly. I was told to perform exercise to strengthen my quads. Before I had health insurance and could afford to see a doctor, I used to wear a basic elastic brace, but it didn't really help.

You might consider taking up bicycling (if you haven't already).

I damaged my left knee in a Gleno type accident ( bncry.gif) back in the early 80's.

I took up road bikes about two years ago & after several months of religious riding, I have a well behaving left knee for the most part thumbsup.gif

Well every injury is unique & what (little) I used on my knee may not work for you, so no... sorry.

I damaged both ligaments & cartilage.

I think my femur 1/3 down got hung up on the handlebar & hyper-extended my knee.

Also the landing didn't do it any good either.

I saw a Doctor many years ago & his advice was basically live with it tongue.gif

I tried an over the counter support that had hinges on the sides during a backpacking trip or two & determined that it did little for me. It actually aggravated it due to aligning the joint differently then it should.

I'm fortunate in were I live when it comes to bicycling.

If you (are anyone else takes it up) be sure to keep the rpm's up or you could do damage trying to over torque.

Think of rod bearings on a lugged motor.

Sorry I could not help you out more.

No prob.

Before I wrote the original post, I thought most of the knee supports were mostly a peace-of-mind thing, and not really all that effective. The comments seem to bear that out.

More low-impact training seems to be the consensus.

Thanks again.

I've been lucky to avoid an injury serious enough to require surgery, but an active youth of playing soccer, baseball and basketball, and then continuing to play a fair amount of basketball into my mid 30s, has put a fair amount of wear and tear on my knees. Having grown 6" in 6 months as 14-year old, and ending up with a 6'4" frame probably didn't help. Over time I've tried a number of elastic or neoprene supports, and except for times when I was recovering from a sprain, I can't say they did much good.

For me, the best results have come from a better approach to health and fitness in general. I'm in a pretty good zone now, where my weight is down (should probably still be lower) and I alternate workouts among running, bicycling and strength training. Maintaining muscle tone and flexibility in all of the muscle groups in my legs seems to help a lot. I seem to get knee pain when my hamstrings get too tight.

I almost hesitate to mention these next bits, but my experience with them has overcome the skepticism I held pretty deeply before I tried them: a glucosamine-chondroitin supplement (daily); professional massage with neuromuscular therapy (about every 2 weeks) and a monthly visit to the chiropractor. YMMV, but they've helped me a lot, especially the massage and neuromuscular therapy.

Archived