IGNORED

SS1K Advice

Vicious_Cycler

Vicious_Cycler

I'm considering working in my first SS1K this spring. I have considered incorporating the Natchez Trace Parkway into at least one leg of the route. My concern is the relatively lower speeds and strict enforcement on the NTP may make it impossible to complete the ride in time.

I would be grateful for the always thoughtful advice of the fecund ($2 word, grin.gif) brains of the board.

Thanks

Glen

I did one a number of years ago and, in my opinion, consistency is more important than speed. That said, my route didn't vary much from the slab but it was finished in under 20 hours so I suppose some "excursions" could have been incorporated. Good luck.

Glen,

I rode my first SS1K back in November of last year and it turned out to be a piece of cake.

24 hours allows for an average speed of something like 42 mph, so you should have no problems with the clock if you start off well rested.

My route took me from Oklahoma City, South down I-35 to Galveston, and back. Interstate all the way.

It really was an enjoyable ride. Temperatures started out at about 50 and rose to the mid 80's.

I started pretty early in the morning, 2 am. That way I rode the dark miles while I was fresh and most alert and wouldn't have to deal with darkness late in the ride when I'd be tired. I finished just as the sun was setting, about 7:10 that evening.

My advise would be to start off well rested, very early in the morning, and preferably under a full moon.

Stay hydrated (camelback), and graze throughout the day to keep from getting hungry.

Stop and rest if you must, and just enjoy the scenery.

It will be one of the most memerable rides you'll ever do.

Good luck! thumbsup.gif

Don't know if my brain qualifies as fecund, but I've earned the certificate and license plate backer, so here's my $0.02. Mine was through the mountains of Colorado and Utah, with only about 100 miles on a slab, and the rest was on twisty 2-lanes. Although that was pleasant, it was a challenge to make time at the lower speed limits, and it seems to take more energy to ride those roads, even if the speeds are lower. I was mentally prepared to deal with the time, but I didn't anticipate the additional fatigue, and it seemed like the last 150 miles took forever. By the time I finished, I wasn't really fit to be riding, and hadn't been for more than an hour. So if you'll be off the slab, you might want to build a bit more endurance before you go.

The Natchez Trace Parkway has been a bonus on several LD rallies I've participated in and the consensus was always that it was a sucker bonus - one that looks attractive but it turns out that the reward is not worth the effort. YMMV.

Vicious_Cycler

The Natchez Trace Parkway has been a bonus on several LD rallies I've participated in and the consensus was always that it was a sucker bonus - one that looks attractive but it turns out that the reward is not worth the effort. YMMV.

David

I suspected as much. Though I've ridden the NTP many times in segments, I never ridden it in its entirety. Frankly, I've always found it a little boring. Some of my friends have thought about suggesting, as a government fundraiser, an NTP motorcycle only day with no speed limit for a fee, maybe $100-250. That might improve the ride, time, and overall experience, ya think? thumbsup.gif.

My initial thought was a loop from Nashville to Birmingham to Natchez via interstates then Natchez to Nashville via NTP. The slow going on the NTP on the last leg of an LDR causes me some "boredom+fatigue=danger" issues. NTP sounds better than its reality.

Thanks

Glen

Archived