IGNORED

Do you mix RF's and NRF's?

tallman

I've found that there are times I must choose between my RF's (Riding Friends) and NRF's (NonRiding Friends).

So I got to thinking about the times that both were present at an event I went to.

There are times that a couple RF's are at the event with many NRF's, but, I was hard pressed to think of a time that there were NRF's at an event catering to my RF's.

This made me wonder if it is something about me crazy.gif, or is there something about people who ride?

Riding is the only activity I am involved in that seems to generally exclude non-participants from their get togethers.

Oddly enough, 1/3 of the people I work with ride. cool.gif

So how about it, when you go out is there an overlap?

When you throw a party, do you invite equally from both camps?

Do you often go 300 miles to hang out with NRF's?

Do you drop everything when a NRF calls and tells you they got a new couch, and rush over to see it?

Or, do you lead separate lives, one where NRF's thinks you must be some kind of born to be wild cool cat cool.gif, or a flippin lunatic, and another one where we who know about riding, know better. grin.gif

I've found that there are times I must choose between my RF's (Riding Friends) and NRF's (NonRiding Friends).

So I got to thinking about the times that both were present at an event I went to.

There are times that a couple RF's are at the event with many NRF's, but, I was hard pressed to think of a time that there were NRF's at an event catering to my RF's.

This made me wonder if it is something about me crazy.gif, or is there something about people who ride?

Riding is the only activity I am involved in that seems to generally exclude non-participants from their get togethers.

Oddly enough, 1/3 of the people I work with ride. cool.gif

So how about it, when you go out is there an overlap?

When you throw a party, do you invite equally from both camps?

Do you often go 300 miles to hang out with NRF's?

Do you drop everything when a NRF calls and tells you they got a new couch, and rush over to see it?

Or, do you lead separate lives, one where NRF's thinks you must be some kind of born to be wild cool cat cool.gif, or a flippin lunatic, and another one where we who know about riding, know better. grin.gif

Tim, that is a very good question..

My riding friends don’t seem to mix well with my non riding friends if all they have in common is ME.. If they have other related interests like boating, or racing, or hunting then they mix OK..

As I see it when you have a mixed group with riders & non rider it doesn’t take the riders long to ONLY talk riding & kind of group up on their own..

Even with co-workers there is a distinct difference as the non riders really don’t understand why someone would want to ride a dangerous motorcycle in bad weather..

Twisty

I once rode 300 miles to meet an RF who rode 600 miles to be there so we could have lunch with our mutual NRF. One of my best RFs was a NRF when we met but a mutual RF got him into riding so he is now an RF. I have 3 really close friends in my life, 2 ride one does not. I would and have driven 500 miles just to help one of them move. I guess it all depends on how good a friend they are.

I hope that was not too confusing.

Dave McReynolds

Actually, the only time I get together with a bunch of RF's is when I make it down to Torrey. Talk about schizophrenic, I have RF's, CF's, HF's, BF's and OF's (you figure it out) and I don't think ANY of the groups intersect!

I once rode 300 miles to meet an RF who rode 600 miles to be there so we could have lunch with our mutual NRF. One of my best RFs was a NRF when we met but a mutual RF got him into riding so he is now an RF. I have 3 really close friends in my life, 2 ride one does not. I would and have driven 500 miles just to help one of them move. I guess it all depends on how good a friend they are.

I hope that was not too confusing.

+1 thumbsup.gif Same peoples too!

It's good to have friends, regardless of their status.

I have a good number of RFs and NRFs that can mix since we do share common interests which helps. Some also have varied enough other interests (one is a pilot, one a pro musician) that keeps conversation moving around and away from just what's on TV, etc.

I have a LOT of RF's. Apart from members of the family, I can't think of a single NRF. I didn't plan it that way or even try to make it that way. It just sort of turned out that way.

I guess spending your entire life working in the motorcycle industry will probably land you in those circumstances.

I suppose that could happen. My classification for friends are simple: Males - acquaintances and causal friends. Females - close friends that I spend a significant amount of time with. The benefits can't be beat.

In thinking about it, I don't think I actually have any RF. To be clear, several friends and relatives own bikes and/or ride from time to time, but none of them are really people that I would primarily classify as riders (for example - have any of them been riding this winter? nope).

I probably have slightly more NRFs than RFs and they don't crossover at all, in many cases I have more in common with the NRFs because we came together on a wider basis than the RFs, i.e. more than one activity/trait. Some of the RFs have become Fs without distinction, which is great, but there still hasn't been crossover. I definitely do travel 300 miles (800 usually) to see my NRFs, why wouldn't I? I usually ride there of course. I've tried to intentionally mix groups of friends before and it rarely seems to work, now I have workFs, soccerFs, softballFs and ridingFs, keeping them all satisfied is quite difficult. Can't we all be Fs?

Francois_Dumas

Easy for me... I separated them by continent..... riding friends are in the US, NRF in Europe ! grin.gif

But seriously, yes, there is some sort of separation in that I have 3 kinds of friends; ones I met and became friends with for no specific reason, usually many years ago already, 'aviation friends' (people I know because of the hobby and activities in that area), and friends I met because of riding.

There is not much overlap from the first group... none of them ride and they think Nina and I (especially) are slightly crazy for taking up riding at our age *cough*....

Some people of the other two groups have become 'regular' good friends as well as being 'special interest' friends.

For some reason (geographically mostly) 'members' of the different groups never meet..... grin.gif

don't forget your C-Friend(s)

(Camel...) lmao.gif

I have noticed a change over the last 4 years. With a recent (past) job, the only time I took off (even evenings and weekends) to socialize was going on long rides to meet up with this group. My RF relationships suffered because of my inability to socialize locally. Now most of my friends are riding folks. I'm clawing my way back into a balance now. This past Chrstmas when I jokingly mentioned something at "not being invited" somewhere earlier this year they kindly reminded me they only invited friends "they see." dopeslap.gif

It is an interesting difference.

good question..i have many more NRF's than RF's prolly due to my business and the fact i've only been riding about 5 years. most of my NRF's are pretty cool about the riding stuff and seem to be interested and amazed when a long ride is discussed.

my life has changed a lot since beginning to ride. my RF's used to be lots and lots of bicycling riding friends, but i've cut way back on that sport and don't see many of them that much anymore.

i consider many of you, especially those i've met to be good RF's. made some very nice friendships due to moto riding and this site.

so to answer the question...i mix, but i rarely ride to meet NRF's.

so to answer the question...i mix, but i rarely ride to meet NRF's.
I was thinking about this since I do ride to see NRFs. I don't have a single friend or acquaintance who I knew before riding became my primary transport and hobby, so for all my friends riding is a part of who I am. I'm only in touch with one person from high school (which ended at 16 in England) and by complete coincidence his was the first motorcycle I ever rode. He never became a biker and that's not the reason we are in touch. I didn't hear from him between the ages of 18 and 48 then got an email when I posted a list of "long lost friends" on my web site.

I do have RFs and NRFs...Normally with RF's the bike is usually involved in the social gathering...NRFs the car or truck is involved when we get togeather....just seems to work out that way?

I do have RFs and NRFs...Normally with RF's the bike is usually involved in the social gathering...NRFs the car or truck is involved when we get togeather....just seems to work out that way?

Just do like I do and take the Harley along with the NRFs! lmao.giflmao.gif

I couldn't resist that one!

I don't classify my friends that way. My friends are: MF and NMF; Musician Friends and non-Musician Friends. And there are precious few NMF.

I basically have two areas of interest, riding my motorcycle which I mostly do alone and playing music. So IRL most of the people in my circle are either musicians or music fanatics.

I have a few friends who are NMF, but they are mostly "friends-in-law". My wife's friends who I like even though they don't play music.

Even when my MF and NMF are at the same party, dinner or whatever they don't exactly mix. The musicians huddle together and talk about guitars, basses, whether song x is in 7/8 time or even worse we sit and watch music videos. I have no idea what the NMF do at these events.

Archived