IGNORED

Road conditions CA Hwy 395?

StuGotz

Any members out there in the area of 395 from Reno south to Hwy 58 have specific road condition info ? After two weeks of dry here, I was wondering if a solo trip this weekend ( Feb 15 to 18) would be possible on this Hwy, or is it just mush on the road thru the 395 passes..I know 89, 4, 108, 120 are all closed. I would like to go CA 50 to 395 south from Tahoe to the DV cut at Lone pine.

Thanks in advance,

still pissed I didn't make DVD, but they can't touch me this weekend thumbsup.gif

Any members out there in the area of 395 from Reno south to Hwy 58 have specific road condition info ? After two weeks of dry here, I was wondering if a solo trip this weekend ( Feb 15 to 18) would be possible on this Hwy, or is it just mush on the road thru the 395 passes..I know 89, 4, 108, 120 are all closed. I would like to go CA 50 to 395 south from Tahoe to the DV cut at Lone pine.

Thanks in advance,

still pissed I didn't make DVD, but they can't touch me this weekend thumbsup.gif

Here is link for road conditions. Hope this helps.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

I can tell you on 395 from June Lake south it was fine on Sunday as I drove that route. However they were forecasting a chance of snow for the June Lake and Mammoth area for today and tomorrow so it may have changed.

Thanks Mike and Brian..

I see big wind forcast for thurs/fri.

Still curious about whether the road north of Mammoth is mush. confused.gif

Maybe the superslab to 155, then past Lake Isabella would be a wiser choice.

MB>

US 50 through South Lake Tahoe and over Spooner Summit to Carson City is relatively clear. The problem right now is the melting of the huge snows received a couple of weeks ago. The snow melts across the road and freezes at night, making for very slick conditions before it warms up enough to once again melt.

I am making a trip up there today and will update whe I return this evening.

Based on my travel yesterday, the South Lake Tahoe stretch of US50 was clear and ice free. I went over Kingsbury grade rather than taking US50 over Spooner summit to get to SLT. Kingsbury had one patch of ice on it covering half the road and caused by vehicles exiting a side road.

Temperatures the last two days have been very chilly, just barely getting above freezing (33 degrees). As a result, there has been very little snow melt over the last couple of days.

There is still a lot of snow (multiple feet) in the Tahoe Basin (and I can only assume there is more snow up over the Sierra summits). The side roads are still completely iced up.

I tend to be conservative, but to me it is not worth the risk of attempting to travel cross Sierra this time of year on motorcycle. It takes only one patch of ice to put one down, and there are many opportunities. Road conditions change daily based on temperature, humidity, cloudiness, etc... State road condition reports do not adequately tell the story as they are geared towards cars and not motorcycles.

Good luck with your decision...

Archived