IGNORED

Cell Phone numbers going out to telemarketers in 12 days

roydog007

I just got this email today, Thought I would pass it on.

Subject: CELL PHONE BLOCKAGE

REMINDER... 12 days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

..........YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell

phone: 1-888-382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time..

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked.

You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

It takes about 2 0 seconds

from the FTC website:

If you’ve received an e-mail telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database, rest assured that this is not the case. Telemarketing to cell phone numbers has always been illegal in most cases and will continue to be so. In response to recent e-mail campaigns urging consumers to place their cell phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry, the Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission issue this advisory to give consumers the facts.

One e-mail making the rounds says:

“JUST A REMINDER...In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS... To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888/382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS...”

Another version claims:

“The Federal Trade Commission has set up a "do not call" list. It is called a cell phone registry. To be included on the "do not call" list, you must call from the number you wish to register.”

Here’s what you need to know about the National Do Not Call Registry program:

FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

The federal government does not maintain a national cell phone registry. Personal cell phone users have always been able to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same Registry consumers use to register their land lines — either online at www.donotcall.gov or by calling toll-free 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone number they wish to register. Registrations become effective within 31 days of signing up and are active for five years. There is no cut-off date or deadline for registrations.

Business-to-business calls are not covered under the Registry.

Read more here...

Dang it! Ken H, you're just too fast for me...

Gotta love Snopes. I send my mother-in-law about a link a week from there debunking some e-mail she sends all of us.

They got me, That was the first time I ever got that one.

It came form one of my more computer savvy friends, so I figured it was legit. dopeslap.gif

Steve, Got any beach front property in Arizona grin.gif

Sorry about that Mark, I'll gladly pay you for the inconvenience. dopeslap.gif

Just waiting on the royal family in Nigeria to wire my inheritance into my account grin.gif

You must be thinking of some other country. The royal family of Nigeria is wiring the money to me. I hope it hits the bank at the same time as my winnings from the International Lottery!

I received one unsolicited call on my cell phone, from an Army recruiter. He had the wrong number, and when I pointed this out to him, I asked if I would be interested in the Army. I knew things were bad as far as recruitment, but wanting to sign up a 57 year old?? eek.gif

On second thought, it must have been because I sounded so young and viril.

Yeah, that must have been it.

Archived