IGNORED

Cleaning out the old computer ?

Richard_D

So far I put my pictures and documents on a cd. Is it possible to copy my favorites list and desktop icons to a cd also? I deleted my pictures, documents and emptied my re-cycle bin. What else do I need to do before I give this computer away?

Aluminum_Butt

Is it possible to copy my favorites list and desktop icons to a cd also?

Right click on the Start button. Left click Explore. Your Internet Explorer favorites are in the Favorites folder. The contents of your desktop is in the Desktop folder.

What else do I need to do before I give this computer away?

Ideally, you should use a product like KillDisk to wipe the drive. If you want to give it away with Windows intact, you'd have to reinstall it. Just deleting the files does (nearly) nothing - they can still be recovered by widely-available software.

If you are not overly concerned about what was in those files, then it may not be a big issue for you. Are you sure you don't have any files stored in other places? For example, if you did your taxes with software, do you know for sure where your tax files were stored?

So far I put my pictures and documents on a cd. Is it possible to copy my favorites list and desktop icons to a cd also? I deleted my pictures, documents and emptied my re-cycle bin. What else do I need to do before I give this computer away?

Richard, you can do a search in your C drive for the favorites folder & copy that to your CD drive.. As far as desk top icons you can find them if you look in far enough but the easy way is to just hold your Left mouse button down & drag over them then move them to a desktop folder.. Just make a folder on your desk top & name it “desk top Icon” (or whatever you want to name it) then transfer that to your CD drive also..

Remember you really haven’t DELETED ANYTHING by removing it.. All you have done is deleted the path the computer uses to find it.. Anyone with good basic computer knowledge can find all you think you have deleted..

The smart thing to do is remove the hard drive before disposing of your computer.. If you want to give it away as a working computer you can wash the drive with any number of free hard drive cleansing programs.. I like the FBI 7 re-write write over as it pretty well cleans everything out.. Problem is that also writes over you operating system so that would have to be re-loaded..

If you give your computer to a reputable company for resale or donation most will clean the drive out for you (at least they claim they do) ..

Twisty

Here's what we copy for users when they get a new computer. This is a business PC running Windows XP and Outlook, if you just run Outlook Express or another mail client the mail files will be in different locations. Just from what you said, did you want any of your mail files? Address book or actual messages?

Substitute username with your logon name and any other logon names you use to access the computer.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\eg3roenj.default

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Outlook Express mail files

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{68C8549C-B54C-49C8-AE06-8BBD06069FA8}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I agree with others who say the easiest way to clean the machine is to re-format, re-install if you're giving it to someone, or just reformat. Recovery disks are great to get a computer back to working status quickly, then just run Windows Update on a high speed internet line.

This will get most files on a computer, but check for other folders where you may have stored files off the root of C:\ etc.

Assuming Windows OS here....

Is it possible to copy my favorites list...

Yes, where they are depends on your browser, for example:

IE favorites are in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites

Firefox favorites will be under C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\. However if you use Firefox and/or Thunderbird you should probably use MozBackup to back up your profiles.

and desktop icons

Yes, your desktop is actually a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop. You can copy this folder.

BUT, be aware that copying the application icons on your desktop doesn't copy the application itself. Typically you'll want to reinstall your programs on a new computer using the original media.

What else do I need to do before I give this computer away?

That depends on your comfort level with the recipient. It also depends on whether you intend to give away your Windows license too. Deleted files are recoverable, so even if you deleted your Quicken database, for example, it could still be found by someone looking for it.

Personally, if I were donating or recycling the computer, I would wipe the disk using the free DBAN utility. Then if desired (for donation purposes) you could reinstall windows using the original CD. I would probably to this even if I were giving it to a family member, so they get a nice clean Windows install.

Richard, what version of Windows are you running on that computer? If it is Windows XP, then there is a transfer wizard that can automatically move all your files and settings to the new computer. I realize that your computer did not come with Windows XP on it, but it may have been upgraded at some point.

Archived