IGNORED

Worst Rock Album Ever

pbbeck

Trying to settle a bet with a friend. Post what you believe to be the worst rock album ever. I have one in mind, and I believe it will show up in the first five posts. Thanks for playing!

thumbsup.gif

There are so many terrible artists, songs and albums, and so many criteria for determining who's worse than whom, that it's impossible to arrive at a singular "worst ever" album mutually agreed upon by all audiences and critics.

For me, the criteria is simple: start with an artist or band whose music you love so much it changed you, formed you, spoke directly to you. You bought each and every album, listened to them from start to finish. Over and over. But the results are personal: Now pick the album that made you feel the connection was irrevocably lost. I'm not talking about albums you didn't like as much or considered a temporary detour, experiment, or in any case forgivable, but rather an album filled with music you actually despised, whose very chords, notes and lyrics made you feel angry, cheated or depressed.

There are two such albums for me: R.E.M.'s Out of Time (the one with "Shiny Happy People" and "Losing My Religion") and The Police's Synchronicity, which was really the precursor to many horrible, unlistenable Sting albums. I.e., I don't hold Andy and Stewart responsible for this final, dreckfest of an album. Sting's to blame. It was a Police album in name only. Deciding which of these two albums is worse than the other is sort of like choosing between uncontrollable vomiting and explosive diarrhea.

So it's a tie.

I can pick a whole bunch of other terrible albums from artists I never much liked or listened to, but no bond was broken or expectations dashed for the simple reason none existed to begin with.

Trying to settle a bet with a friend. Post what you believe to be the worst rock album ever. I have one in mind, and I believe it will show up in the first five posts. Thanks for playing!

thumbsup.gif

Paul, what ERA are we talking here. The last concert I went to was Hendrix playing in Seattle in the late 60’s..

Twisty

Joe Frickin' Friday

"Worst" and "rock" are both kind of subjective. That said, a web search on "worst rock album ever" turns up some candidates that have been offered up for ridicule by the masses:

Having Fun with Elvis on Stage by Elvis Presley

Self Portrait by Bob Dylan

Irwin Chusid

These guys came up with a lot of candidates.

Amazon has a list of "horrible rock albums."

I also keep seeing repeated references to "The Philosophy of The World" by The Shaggs.

It's cold in Minnesota, maybe the poster is just grumpy cause of that. We'll try not to let the fact that it's 80 degrees here today slip from our lips...oh wait, sorry. tongue.gifthumbsup.gif

I'm not sure I have a candidate for worst rock album ever. I wasn't fond of Zooropa when it first came out, but I've since come around. If you like classic U2, the album isn't for you, but if you can accept them doing different styles, then I like some of the songs.

Also, one man's dreck is another person's...well, treasure is stretching it a bit, but I like a lot of the tunes on Out of Time. smirk.gif

It's cold in Minnesota, maybe the poster is just grumpy cause of that.

Also, one man's dreck is another person's...

Lisa needs to practice of which she speaks.

Cold and snow. Loving it. Can't wait til I shake this flu. smile.gif

How can the worst 4 on that list all be from AFI? I've never heard of them, but apparently someone on Amazon must really dislike them... His name is Mike Crotch... Oh, I get it... I see what you did there...

The one I had in mind was "Van Halen 3." It's the only CD I've ever purchased, then thrown out in anger.

Also, I'm surprised that "Dynasty" from Kiss hasn't been mentioned. I mean really... disco? Kiss?

I was made for lovin' you baby!

I once bought Dancing in the Dark by The Boss - on vinyl. Turned out that The Boss was some German Sprinsteen impersonator, and the album was dance-beat versions of Sprinsteen songs.

I threw it out in anger. Never shop for music when exhausted.

Has the OP lost his bet yet? [edit]Got it - VH 3.

Archived